My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1010s HDD not recognised

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hughmclaughlin

HDR-1010s no longer recognises the 1TB HDD. Humax support said that there is a software problem but they don't know when a solution will be available. I can find no mention on the Humax support site to a software problem resulting in the HDD no longer being recognised. My box is out of warranty(bought December 2013) and as I changed to FREESAT/HUMAX to avoid subscription charges I am now worried that my humax box will have to be replaced.

| Sun 10 Apr 2016 13:04:28 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

A problem reported many times, see other threads on similar subject.

Try disconnecting power to unit for an hour or so and see if that restores HDD access.

Humax engineers are aware, but as yet have not managed to debug the issue.

| Sun 10 Apr 2016 13:28:19 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hughmclaughlin

Thank you for your reply Barry. If you wish, please move my post to an appropriate thread. I have frequently disconnected the box(for a period), in order to get it to boot, and I have performed system reset a number of times but consistently the HDD is not recognised.
    It is disappointing that the problem has been reported many times and there is still no information on the Humax support site about software causing HDD problems. There are myriads of reports(over a long period of time) of problems associated with the HDD and proposed solutions, but I am not aware until now that Humax admit that the problem may be in their software. Would there be any point in reverting to an earlier version of the software ? My HDR-1010s software version is currently 3.00.20.

Forgive my rant but surely it is not good enough that Humax just admit the problem and appear to do nothing about it. If there is a software problem there is no point in advising users to try a new HDD.

| Mon 11 Apr 2016 9:51:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlexAD

Please email Customerteam@freesat.co.uk and ask them to push Humax for a fix. Your route for a fix is via the retailer and request a repair, have a look at the trading service website for an letter template.

Office Humax response, after a month of sending emails...

Apologies for the late response to your e-mail.

We are currently investigating an issue effecting some users of Freetime machines. This appears to be consistent with what you have described.

The issue we are investigating involves Freetime boxes failing to recognise their hard drives and appears to be linked to use of the Freetime app.
    From our investigation so far it appears that the hard-drives inside the effected units have not been damaged or corrupted but it is in fact to do with the on board SATA controllers now not recognising or being able to use the hard-drive correctly.
    We are currently working on a software fix for this and believe currently that when the software update is released any recordings on the hard drive will still be available for viewing.

Of course if you are within warranty we can offer to exchange your unit, did you register with us for your second year warranty?

Best Regards,

{name removed}
    Humax Customer Support

I have the problem, but don't use the app. So, their engineers are looking in the wrong place!!

| Fri 15 Apr 2016 10:25:25 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

AlexAD - 57 minutes ago  » ...don't use the app...

Yes it's interesting that Humax say that. Despite my concern with the app - I don't use it and never will as long as it boots up the HDD every 20 mins - there has been no evidence presented in these forums of there being a consistency in use of the app among those users reporting this HDD problem.

| Fri 15 Apr 2016 11:28:30 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Barry - 4 days ago  » ...Humax engineers are aware, but as yet have not managed to debug the issue.

If Humax believe it to be a s/w problem then surely one approach is to flash the box with a previous s/w version and... oh it works OK, let's offer users a downlevel s/w version. Or is that too politically sensitive since it would involve losing Netflix?

| Fri 15 Apr 2016 11:33:11 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

eb1234567

It would be interesting to know how long Humax have known as I rang on 05/04/2016 with the same problem. I was told my HDD was at fault and as I had bought this in January 2014 it was 2 months out of warranty. It wasn't worth the standard repair cost of £120 as I could get a new one for £139. (Checking the website this is the price for refurbished ones only which have a 1 year warranty only but that was not mentioned.)

I said that after 30 years in IT I had never had a hard disk failure but there seemed to be rather a lot of reports on the Internet for failure of the Humax HDR 1000s. It was then suggested that I could replace the HDD. So I bought a new one for £45. It was easy to fit but I still have the same problem - complete waste of money!

Not impressed Humax!

| Sat 16 Apr 2016 11:54:29 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

eb1234567 - 40 minutes ago  » ...It would be interesting to know how long Humax have known...

Since late Nov 2015...
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hard-drive-issues

| Sat 16 Apr 2016 12:36:06 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

hughmclaughlin

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. For your information here is an email message I sent to Freesat and the reply from Freesat:

Email to customerteam@freesat.co.uk:

Just over 2 years ago I finally abandoned my subscription service in favour of freesat. While I am delighted with the freesat epg my experience with the freesat box leaves me reluctantly contemplating a return to a subscription service. I purchased a Humax HDR 1010s freesat box in December 2013. This box was listed on your website and was supposed to be premium freetime box with record, pause live tv etc. Apart from frequently having to reset(unplug the box) it is not possible to record or pause live TV.

I reported the record problem to Humax support(Humax Support Request Number Removed), who informed me that they were aware of the problem and that it was software related. They offered no solution or possible fix date. It appears Humax have been aware of the problem since at least November 2015 (http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hard-drive-issues, http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hdr-1010s-hdd-not-recognised) but seem to have done nothing to resolve the problem. The reliability of this box(as evidenced online by forums such as myhumax.org) and the service provided by Humax has totally undermined by confidence in freesat and must be doing major damage to freesat sales.

Regards,

Reply from customerteam@freesat.co.uk:

Dear Name Removed,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with your Freesat unit.

From what you have described, it appears there may be an issue with the unit's hard drive. You will therefore need to contact Humax on 0344 318 8800 for further assistance.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Either I am out of line with my feeling that the Humax HDR 1010s has reliability problems or Freesat appears to not care.

I have heard nothing from Humax since my reply to their email responding to my original telephone call.

| Thu 12 May 2016 11:17:06 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

hughmclaughlin

I have lost faith(TOTALLY) in HUMAX boxes. HUMAX say that the missing HDD is caused by faulty software, but offer no solution. I would suggest that they FIX THE SOFTWARE!. My box is out of warranty, but I will not be replacing it with a HUMAX box. Given the number of boxes with HDD issues I could not recommend a HUMAX box to anyone.

| Thu 9 Jun 2016 10:29:24 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.