My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

iOS app update question

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I don't see it as sinister. It's an opt-in deal. If they'd just solve the frequent-bootup problem, I'd opt in, as I would like to set recordings remotely.

As for recording Freesat programmes privately, I do so day in, day out. I don't see the problem.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 11:40:43 #11 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - I see nothing in the Showcase article you linked to that suggests any relation to the app and the data collection you suggest. In fact "Individual picks are chosen by Freesat’s own editorial team."

The content providers already have on-demand data for all users (web server logs at least, probably much more). The web Server variables include "browser" and platform, IP address and a bit more

You presume that recordings set and watched on the box are systemically logged by freesat for paired units.

Like most I don't have a paired phone, so I cannot try to deduce what data they have, I would be very surprised if this extended to watched data.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 11:55:51 #12 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Reffub - 24 minutes ago  » 
    It's a simple TV STB App, surely users of this app should have the option to easily record Freesat programmes privately over their own Network ?

The design of the app and STB code presumes a remote server holding the remote recording.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 11:58:50 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

REPASSAC - 3 minutes ago  » 

Reffub - 24 minutes ago  » 
    It's a simple TV STB App, surely users of this app should have the option to easily record Freesat programmes privately over their own Network ?

The design of the app and STB code presumes a remote server holding the remote recording.

Please see the last part of the first post underneath where I said

"Anticipating a reply explaining in detail why that isn't possible......."

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 12:04:53 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

JamesB - 26 minutes ago  » 
    I don't see it as sinister. It's an opt-in deal. If they'd just solve the frequent-bootup problem, I'd opt in, as I would like to set recordings remotely.
    As for recording Freesat programmes privately, I do so day in, day out. I don't see the problem.

None of us actually know for certain what's going on here regarding Data from the box.

Why are you so confident that you're able to record Freesat programmes privately, I presume your box is still connected to the internet for Showcase, catch up etc

Next you'll be getting personalised Adverts pop up based on the programme you watched last night.

Nothing is private anymore as far as the internet is concerned unless you can use Tor and then you need to avoid certain things that may still be able to track you.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 12:08:55 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

To know how well Showcase is driving viewing, Freesat need to know not only what's being recorded through Showcase, but also what's being recorded without the user having consulted Showcase. They do have access to that data, for paired boxes. Why wouldn't they make use of it?

I agree watched data, if collected at all, would be approximate, based on the assumption that a deleted recording has been watched. So not very useful. I wonder what percentages of programmes get recorded and later deleted without watching. Quite a few, in my case, I must admit!

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 12:09:28 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Reffub - 58 seconds ago  » 

JamesB - 26 minutes ago  » 

None of us actually know for certain what's going on here regarding Data from the box.
    Why are you so confident that you're able to record Freesat programmes privately, I presume your box is still connected to the internet for Showcase, catch up etc
    Next you'll be getting personalised Adverts pop up based on the programme you watched last night.
    Nothing is private anymore as far as the internet is concerned unless you can use Tor and then you need to avoid certain things that may still be able to track you.

Since the box isn't paired, my recording habits can only be aggregated.

As for targeted ads, I'd much rather get ads for something that interests me, such as gadgetry, than ads for stuff I'll never buy.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 12:13:52 #17 |
  8. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Reffub - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Luckily I opted out of this Big Brother, NSA type remote record monitoring app when it first came out, personally I don't want to give Freesat the option of collating and possibly selling data on my viewing habits and know doubt allowing some company to follow my every movements via GPS*.
    *Anybody watch Horizon Inside the Dark Web, very interesting programme.
    Putting aside the more sinister aspects of this app and the internet as a whole .

At the end of the day doesn't all this info go towards helping us get what we want in a better Freesat service?
    Everyday there seems be the question asked somewhere as to why this or that isn't on Freesat and that Freesat should try harder to get this and that etc.
    So when Freesat go to potential partners/clients and they ask 'So why should we pay to have our product on Freesat?', they now have certain facts and figures to back things up.
    Due to certain user data they've obtained they've since negotiated the deal with Panasonic for both Freesat and Freeview TVs, also it's been reported that some of the broadcasters are keen for freetime to be the driving force behind the next generation of Freeview+ boxes as YouView has turned into a PayTV product for TalkTalk and BT.
    It was only recently it was said the reason Netflix wasn't on freetime boxes due to Freesats user base, now or in the near future they can go back to Netflix and say we've go xx amount of connect boxes & TVs in our customers homes and here's the facts and figures to back it up.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 12:22:42 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

"Since the box isn't paired, my recording habits can only be aggregated."

No doubt you have paired it in the past, don't presume un-pairing it will make you anonymous.

Personally I hate those personalised adverts.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 12:25:26 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Reffub - 2 minutes ago  » 
    "Since the box isn't paired, my recording habits can only be aggregated."
    No doubt you have paired it in the past, don't presume un-pairing it will make you anonymous.

It wouldn't be worth the effort.

Just out of curiosity, why is it important to you to be able to go through the app to set recordings rather than just picking up the remote control? Is it so you can set recordings while in a different room?

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 12:32:33 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.