My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard Drive's Probably Dead

(37 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

I wonder if the hard drive is at fault here, I cannot pause or record and all my recording are now not showing at all (previously they appeared and re-appeared).

Iplayer fails too (02100) no network error, I don't know if maybe it requires an operational hard drive to work....just speculating. If Richer Sounds and Humax don't entertain a return (I've emailed both) I might try swapping out the hard drive to see if that works.

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 8:09:23 #11 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

From your description it sounds rather like that the presence of the hard disk is not being detected.
    Can you get into storage settings (settings > system settings) and if so what does it show?

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 9:52:44 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

REPASSAC - 10 hours ago  » 
    From your description it sounds rather like that the presence of the hard disk is not being detected.
    Can you get into storage settings (settings > system settings) and if so what does it show?

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 20:04:35 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

REPASSAC - 10 hours ago  » 

Under storage I've got:

Connect a USB hard drive to record programmes and pauce live TV

Option for USB USB storage to view other media.

That's all.

Thanks.

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 20:51:38 #14 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Strange - not seen this before and then one other user also has the same problem. Any results from your email?

Open the unit up (screws within feet) and check the connectors are tight).

If you want to try a disk swap then you need an AV drive such as the WD10EURS (the WD10EURX is also OK but will require a jumper on two pins 5 and 6 http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/981/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyMzIwMzc2OC9zaWQvc2Q3THVpZW0%3D#satadesktopjump
    May be an idea to buy a in-expensive USB caddy as well so it can be used in other ways.

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 7:26:47 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

REPAASSAC,

Thanks for that, based on what showing in storage does this indicate that the HD is at fault? I can't remember what is usually showing in this screen.

Well, I've a quick reply from Richer Sounds, they have offered to repair this box for £26.95, in effect allowing me to purchase a backdated warranty, no reply from Humax.

I'll probably go with Richer Sounds unless Humax allows for a replacement box for nowt, good old Richer Sounds, brill customer service as usual.

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 7:51:34 #16 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would say there are three possibilities -

• Faulty power supply.
    • Defective disk controller
    • Defective of failed motherboard disk controller

Difficult to know which, not really seen these coming up before but perhaps we will see move as the units age.

I would think that the motherboard disk controller would be the least likely to have a problem.

Anyone else any ideas?

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 9:01:58 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

This faulty unit is now winging its way to Humax for repair. Unfortunately a couple of hours before this was due to go for repair when I brought this out of standby all of my recordings re-appeared and on-demand worked flawlessly again. Hopefully Humax can replicate this fault to get to the bottom of this issue, I'll feedback if they can identify the cause. This might be a couple of weeks.

| Sun 8 Feb 2015 11:36:57 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

Dissapointed with Humax.

I sent a fairly long email to Humax detailing the issues I've had with the box, and noting how this issue started appearing just prior to the end of the extended 2 year warranty and how the box had failed shortly thereafter.

I asked if Humax would consider replacing or repairing this unit. This was sent on the 4th of February and to date Humax have not bothered to reply, nothing.

This is poor customer service. I emailed Richer Sounds a couple of days leter not hearing anything from Humax and I got a reply and offer of a repair (ok, charged but at low cost) almost straight away.

| Thu 12 Feb 2015 16:17:36 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Since RS sold you the box, they should perhaps be doing the repair for free. The Sale of Goods Act puts the liability on the retailet. I would at least raise this with them, see what they say.

Humax should certainly have responded to you. Very poor to ignore emails. But if you didn't contact them before the warranty expired, you don't have a claim against them for repair/replacement, whereas you may well have a claim against Richer Sounds.

| Thu 12 Feb 2015 17:41:27 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.