My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

The 9200 --:-- clock problem.

(56 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

stefanaristo

No re other cleaning solutions. I tried cleaning because it is what I would try 1st on my pc's along with checking leads, cables and any other possibly loose plugs etc.

| Tue 13 Mar 2012 15:19:49 #11 |
  2. Biggles

Biggles

special member

How old is your 9200? Silver or Black?

| Tue 13 Mar 2012 15:24:29 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

stefanaristo

Hi Biggles, I don't know if the question is addressed to me or is old , but as to my 9200t model it is Silver and as far as I can remember it is about 3 or 4 years old. Stefan

| Wed 14 Mar 2012 14:41:58 #13 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

stefanaristo - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Biggles, I don't know if the question is addressed to me or is old , but as to my 9200t model it is Silver and as far as I can remember it is about 3 or 4 years old. Stefan

When you had the board out did you notice whether the ground plane (the large areas of copper) was solid copper or if it had a fine mesh pattern on it. It doesn't matter if you can't remember, it's just a theory I've got about which boards fail and which don't.

| Wed 14 Mar 2012 16:49:55 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

DarenGuitar

Hi folks,
    Thanks for the fascinating conversation on the 9200T clock problem.
    My beloved Humax developed this problem, and I stumbled across this discussion and thought I'd have a go.
    Immediately after removing the clock board, I noticed that on the far left where the connectors join, there is what I can only describe as a 'blown component' mark...a kind of brown smudge on the LED screen.
    I need to get some proper cleaner and give it a good clean as was mentioned, but I lost heart when I saw this mark.
    After the quick clean I gave it, I've noticed that the 'channel' LED's are brighter than the clock ones,although it still gives the
    ...-... when switched off.
    Can anyone shed some light? Will I need a new board, or is it still worth giving it a proper clean, even with this 'wrong' looking patch.
    Sorry for the rambling, but I love this old machine, and would love to have it working properly again.
    Thanks in advance, Daren

| Tue 27 Mar 2012 20:16:48 #15 |
  6. Biggles

Biggles

special member

If you're talking about what looks like a smudge on the inside of the glass screen then I think you are worrying about nothing, get the board cleaned as per my instructions and get it going again.

You'll see that the clock digits in the glass envelope look more scorched than the channel digits, this is because the clock digits are on all the time so have 'worn' more. They're not LEDs by the way.

When you get the board out again can you answer the question I asked (without a question mark on rereading) in post #14. Also just confirm you are seeing --:-- in STANDBY on the right hand side of the display.

A new board from Humax will cost you £30 ish but will give you a new bright display again. Be warned though that two people on Digital Spy appear to have had problems with recent new boards causing the 9200 to stick during boot.

| Tue 27 Mar 2012 23:28:51 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brainz

What on earth is the 'contaminant' on the board causing this ?

| Sat 7 Jul 2012 2:31:35 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Withnail73

Ok. I've just performed the cleaning following biggles' excellent instructions. Alas, no joy. Still got --:-- in standby. There wasnt much grim in there to be honest, still I cleaned it several times. I used Maplin's electrical solvent cleaner as that is what they recommended.

What's next? New board? Thanks.

| Sat 7 Jul 2012 12:22:17 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brainz

Withnail73 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Ok. I've just performed the cleaning following biggles' excellent instructions. Alas, no joy. Still got --:-- in standby. There wasnt much grim in there to be honest, still I cleaned it several times. I used Maplin's electrical solvent cleaner as that is what they recommended.
    What's next? New board? Thanks.

Whatever it is is invisible! Using the same maplin electronics cleaner and after a great deal of frustration mine worked for a number of months but now it is doing it again.

Another option I am pondering is to take it back to currys and request it's fixed under sale of goods act. It is not quite yet 6 years old. They wont know I opened it.

| Sat 7 Jul 2012 13:36:58 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Withnail73

Did notice that the lacquer had gone from the back of board directly under the key components. Not sure if that's a problem.

| Sat 7 Jul 2012 14:01:33 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.