My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

2 annoying problems

(75 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Biggles - 5 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    But is there a gain in switching it off, apart from a minuscule financial one? Forget living in a bubble free zone, life isn't like that. Living in a connected world until bedtime is a somewhat archaic view and most people want/need their router to be running 24/7.
    Your views sound very reminiscent of my mother who never did get to grips with the modern world bless her.

You don't seem to be reading the posts! Please point out to me where I have mentioned finances, my concern is reducing risk and reducing the risk is a gain. As for switching off at bedtime, why not, I'm asleep and pretty sure I don't do sleep surfing.

And what about your connected devices NAS and such like? From your posts you make it sound like you life is one big worry about risk - sad really. You need to live life not constantly worry about 'what if'.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 16:13:25 #71 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Biggles... sent you a PM ref this thread.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 17:03:57 #72 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Lord Kelvin famously said:

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science, whatever the matter may be.

A quick visit to [url=http://www.riskcomm.com/visualaids/riskscale/datasources.php] gives:

23 Annual Risk of Death at Home
    All people, all risks 1 in 7,875
    Death from Falls 1 in 23,162
    Death from Poisoning 1 in 30,288
    Death from Fires 1 in 87,500

Assume there are only 20 ways (low!) a fire could be caused and a router is one of them, and all are equally likely (not true - frying chips is far more likely to cause a fire). So, even at worst case, switching off the router overnight so it is off 1/3 of the day means you deduct 1/3 of 1/20 of the fire risk. The risk of death is then reduced to 1 in 7,886.

If we are more sensible and accept the router risk is much lower than other fire risks (bodged electrical installations, electric fires, overloaded appliances, tumbler driers etc, then the risk hardly varies from the original 1 in 7,875.

It is far better to concentrate efforts on risk reduction on the high risks than to worry about the low risks which are merely noise in the grand scheme of things.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 19:32:02 #73 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I thought we had moved on to personal choice.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 19:48:01 #74 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I thought we had moved on to personal choice.

I thought you were simply using that as a cover for the fact you were at odds with perceived technical wisdom

My mistake.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 22:30:43 #75 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.