My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

2 annoying problems

(75 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Biggles

We are again in violent agreement.

Many years ago, in order to win a contract, I was a junior engineer demonstrating our prototype to an assembled group of dignitaries from the particular Ministry in question. To cut a long story short, the motors were severely overloaded during the demo and they caught fire, with flames and much smoke erupting from it. Neither the fuses nor the ELCBs blew.

We didn't get the contract ...

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 17:25:31 #61 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 

Biggles - 6 hours ago  » 

Faust - 11 hours ago  » 
    If your products are correctly fuse rated and in good condition why is there a fire hazard.

This sort of statement will lead people into a false sense of security. As an example I have had two computer PSU catch fire at work under normal use and both were correctly fused. I have had an LCD projector spectacularly blow a large capacitor in its power supply, also correctly fused. Only the projector blew its fuse and fortunately people were around to pull the plugs.

If you take this argument to it's logical conclusion then you should have no gas electric or water in your house and take all necessary steps to avoid a lightening strike too.
    It's all about calculated risk and in most cases it's a very very small risk indeed. I'm well aware that some people will claim to have worked in this and that industry for gazzillions of years. However, most are now retired and tech moves at a rate of knots. I would suggest some people are firmly routed in the last century and have not kept up with today's advancements. Gas mantles had their place in time but things move on.
    Turning routers off at night indeed, what tripe I suspect some on here turn their mirrors to the wall when there's a thunderstorm.

One thing's for sure, your pithy little homelies, although complete nonsense, are certainly entertaining

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 19:37:18 #62 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago
    One thing's for sure, your pithy little homelies, although complete nonsense, are certainly entertaining

Nonsense or not, at least they are 21st century nonsense.

Certainly on the BT/Openreach technical forums the overwhelming advice is to leave a router on 24/7 - they are specifically designed for such use.

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 22:30:56 #63 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    Nonsense or not, at least they are 21st century nonsense.
    Certainly on the BT/Openreach technical forums the overwhelming advice is to leave a router on 24/7 - they are specifically designed for such use.

Like I said earlier repetition is no proof of anything. PVRs are designed to be left ON 24/7 but there are plenty of reports of substandard capacitors being used in the power supplies of certain models. Bottom line is nothing is 100% safe so why not reduce the risk wherever possible.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 9:06:49 #64 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

... so why not reduce the risk wherever possible

I disagree.

You can reduce the risk of being killed in a road accident by driving everywhere at 4mph. No-one does so because the benefit of travelling faster outweighs their perception of the risk this entails.

It's a cost/benefit analysis where different people place different weights. No-one is absolutely right or wrong - they just have different views.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 10:26:27 #65 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

JohnH77 - 50 minutes ago  » ...No-one is absolutely right or wrong - they just have different views.

Correct. This sub-thread has lost sight of the original hypothesis, which is that while routers are indeed designed to be permanently on, and are very reliable when they are so used, switching them off has no impact on line performance. Personal choice.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 11:19:50 #66 |
  7. Biggles

Biggles

special member

JohnH77 - 1 hour ago  » 

I disagree.
    You can reduce the risk of being killed in a road accident by driving everywhere at 4mph. No-one does so because the benefit of travelling faster outweighs their perception of the risk this entails.
    It's a cost/benefit analysis where different people place different weights. No-one is absolutely right or wrong - they just have different views.

John,

We're talking about flicking a switch at the mains socket, it's hardly in the same league as your examples here and in previous posts. If there was a gain in leaving the router ON then I'd leave it ON but my finding suggest there is no gain.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 12:12:07 #67 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 

JohnH77 - 50 minutes ago  » ...No-one is absolutely right or wrong - they just have different views.

Correct. This sub-thread has lost sight of the original hypothesis, which is that while routers are indeed designed to be permanently on, and are very reliable when they are so used, switching them off has no impact on line performance. Personal choice.

You need to go and argue that one on the Openreach technical forum. I'm sure they would welcome an alternative technical perspective.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 14:03:12 #68 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Biggles - 1 hour ago  » 

JohnH77 - 1 hour ago  » 

I disagree.

John,
    We're talking about flicking a switch at the mains socket, it's hardly in the same league as your examples here and in previous posts. If there was a gain in leaving the router ON then I'd leave it ON but my finding suggest there is no gain.

But is there a gain in switching it off, apart from a minuscule financial one? Forget living in a bubble free zone, life isn't like that. Living in a connected world until bedtime is a somewhat archaic view and most people want/need their router to be running 24/7.

Your views sound very reminiscent of my mother who never did get to grips with the modern world bless her.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 14:09:20 #69 |
  10. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    But is there a gain in switching it off, apart from a minuscule financial one? Forget living in a bubble free zone, life isn't like that. Living in a connected world until bedtime is a somewhat archaic view and most people want/need their router to be running 24/7.
    Your views sound very reminiscent of my mother who never did get to grips with the modern world bless her.

You don't seem to be reading the posts! Please point out to me where I have mentioned finances, my concern is reducing risk and reducing the risk is a gain. As for switching off at bedtime, why not, I'm asleep and pretty sure I don't do sleep surfing.

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 16:04:55 #70 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.