My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

2 annoying problems

(75 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Browse the forum for many posts about this. Search on HDMI or CEC.

There seems to be two scenarios.

The most common seems to be caused by holding down the POWER ON/OFF button on the remote control too long. The remote control sends repeated ON/OFF/ON/OFF commands which confuses the HDMI link - on my Panasonic it is called Viera Link. For example, see Unable to turn FVP 4000T on - intermittently! and other "black screen" posts.

The second scenario is to do with the box just having started to do a recording. Alex4000 did some excellent analysis at Failure to turn on when timer recording

Humax technical gurus are apparently aware of both issues and I would expect both to be resolved soon with a software update.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 13:47:31 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JPLS - 7 hours ago  » 
    Do you switch off the internet router? I've noticed that the Humax does not respond if the internet has been disconnected. If you leave it on all the time it seems to start OK.
    Not very good for energy saving, I like to turn off everything I can overnight.
    Jeremy

Only in the same way you turn off your fridge every night???????

Just about the worst thing you can do if you wish to maintain a healthy reliable network.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 16:54:06 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Also, every time you disconnect your broadband line, the exchange thinks the line has failed. The exchange therefore reduces the maximum speed at which the line works (the IP Profile value). The allowable maximum is then slowly increased over the next day or two as the exchange monitors the line's health.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 17:09:32 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JPLS

Of course I leave the fridge on, but I live in a wooden house, everything left on is a potential fire hazard, and a waste of energy.

Also some people buy digital recorders and never connect them to the internet!

Apart from the Humax's tendency to lock up, I have no problem on my network with things being switched off. My Sony TV and Oppo blu ray player connect using wifi OK, and my wired computers work. So why shouldn't I switch off at night?

Jeremy

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 17:09:37 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JPLS

I think we are going off topic a bit here. I was just pointing out that the Humax doesn't like being disconnected from the internet, and if you have a problem turning on then that could be the cause.

I happen to think that it should be able to cope with it.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 17:25:46 #15 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Well the PVR is certainly designed to be left in standby (Should be < 0.5w, as should the TV, do you switch off at the wall?).
    The PC will also not be fully off if shutdown unless you then switch off on the PSU.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 17:28:11 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JPLS

Yes I switch my TV off as well. It seems to me that any low power settings are defeated by having to leave the modem on.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 17:37:21 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

JohnH77 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Also, every time you disconnect your broadband line, the exchange thinks the line has failed. The exchange therefore reduces the maximum speed at which the line works (the IP Profile value). The allowable maximum is then slowly increased over the next day or two as the exchange monitors the line's health.

I switch my router off most nights and usually when I'm leaving the house for more than a few hours. That has had zero impact on my speed on both my previous TalkTalk adsl and my now BT fibre vdsl. The speed consistently hovers around, or exceeds, the max contracted speed. I worked for years in the telecomms/computing business and I have seen no evidence at all to support the kind of serious impact on speeds, or network stability, that switching off is claimed to cause.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 18:47:56 #18 |
  9. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I switch my router off most nights and usually when I'm leaving the house for more than a few hours. That has had zero impact on my speed on both my previous TalkTalk adsl and my now BT fibre vdsl. The speed consistently hovers around, or exceeds, the max contracted speed. I worked for years in the telecomms/computing business and I have seen no evidence at all to support the kind of serious impact on speeds, or network stability, that switching off is claimed to cause.

Totally agree. I have had several people tell me that leaving the router on will increase internet speed but have not been given any proof. One respected colleague said it was down to signal to noise ratio improvement but I have seen no evidence of speed increase with router On time in the several tests I have done. My conclusion is leaving the router ON to significantly increase internet speed is in the category of urban myth. I agree with JPLS, anything left on unnecessarily is a potential fire hazard.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 22:01:40 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JPLS - 5 hours ago  » 
    Of course I leave the fridge on, but I live in a wooden house, everything left on is a potential fire hazard, and a waste of energy.
    Also some people buy digital recorders and never connect them to the internet!
    Apart from the Humax's tendency to lock up, I have no problem on my network with things being switched off. My Sony TV and Oppo blu ray player connect using wifi OK, and my wired computers work. So why shouldn't I switch off at night?
    Jeremy

Why ask for advice if you've already decided the answer. If your products are correctly fuse rated and in good condition why is there a fire hazard. Good luck and remember when you're saving the pennies there are no pockets in shrouds.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 22:41:32 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.