1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ericcrichton - 11 hours ago  » 
    I don't have an amplifier. Its a block of flats with shared antenna
    GrahamThomspn is going to provide details of how to set up the unit with
    DVB-T mux 50 59 58 49 and 55
    DVB-T2 mux 54

After manual tune consider fitting a attenuator. Reduce the level to around 60% ensuring the quality remains at 100%.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philex-Variable-TV-Signal-Attenuator/dp/B00L24G962/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&tag=blusas008-21&keywords=TV+attenuator&qid=1585470923&sr=8-2

| Sun 29 Mar 2020 9:35:51 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ericcrichton

Folks thanks for your help. I will tackle manual tune in a few days (oddly I'm busy tho stuck at home and manual retune will need bit of effort/time).

For others with same problem:-
    My TV has no problem.
    This only happened to humax after new channel retune some weeks ago.
    Tried auto tuning using an indoor aerial which reduced channels on TV but humax still seems to be seeing all the channels.
    Have ordered an attenuator. Will report any joy with that.

| Mon 30 Mar 2020 10:09:43 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ericcrichton - 10 mins ago  » 
    Folks thanks for your help. I will tackle manual tune in a few days (oddly I'm busy tho stuck at home and manual retune will need bit of effort/time).
    For others with same problem:-
    My TV has no problem.
    This only happened to humax after new channel retune some weeks ago.
    Tried auto tuning using an indoor aerial which reduced channels on TV but humax still seems to be seeing all the channels.

Have ordered an attenuator. Will report any joy with that.

Because you are on a communal system it's possible that whoever set up the system has chosen to add mux from more than one transmitter. This will only be evident if you do not find a signal on every channel in the list.

| Mon 30 Mar 2020 10:23:02 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

ericcrichton

What puzzles me is why it only happened from a few weeks ago. Worked fine for year(s). Doubt anyone changed the community settings.

| Mon 30 Mar 2020 10:26:46 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ericcrichton - 3 mins ago  » 
    What puzzles me is why it only happened from a few weeks ago. Worked fine for year(s). Doubt anyone changed the community settings.

Could be a change at the transmitters as part of the 800Mhz clearance work.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/33430/clearing.pdf

From Digital Spy

5 Feb & 4 Mar 2020 - Belmont - Wideband to A group
    5 Feb 2020 - Emley Moor - No change in group but MUXES move about
    12 Feb 2020 - Sandy - No change in group but MUXES move about
    4 Mar 2020 - Waltham - Wideband to A group
    10 Feb & 22 Apr 2020 - Winter Hill - CD / E group to A group

Most interesting is three large main transmitters (esp Winter Hill) moving to the A group - excl the temporary MUXES 7 and 8.
    Winter Hill, the second biggest coverage (by population) after Crystal Palace used to be a C/D group, at the opposite end of the band ! It could have some interesting ramifications, particularly on Winter Hill transmitter and Waltham transmitter

In addition MUXES 7 and 8 are being switched off at Sheffield transmitter. The latter is technically a repeater but in actual fact has a large population coverage, in fact bigger than a significant number of main transmitters.

This info came from Justin at ATV Aerials in Sheffield. This website is the fount of all knowledge re aerials amplifiers splitters attenuators etc.

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/

| Mon 30 Mar 2020 10:32:50 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ericcrichton

The attenuator mentioned above finally arrived.
    While it had some impact on the number of stations found it was still duplicating 49 of them even at max attenuation.
    I did notice that when scanning it did not scan from bottom to top of channels.
    Rather it seemed to be initially scanning specific channels and then scanning more sequentially.
    Is it likely that the Humax is remembering which channels it found stations on and is rescanning those first? If so then I somehow need it to scan all the channels sequentially with attentuation.
    I'm guessing that I need to reinitiallise or scan without "smart" to force it to do that? I guess I will loose schedule? But not recordings?
    Advice appreciated.

| Tue 7 Apr 2020 19:48:18 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ericcrichton - 4 hours ago  » 
    I'm guessing that I need to reinitiallise or scan without "smart" to force it to do that? I guess I will loose schedule? But not recordings?

Yes you should not use smart search in this case; you will lose the schedule of future recordings but not any recordings that have already been made.

| Wed 8 Apr 2020 0:28:42 #27 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

ericcrichton - 20 hours ago  » 
    I'm guessing that I need to reinitiallise or scan without "smart" to force it to do that?

Take a photo of your schedule then do an auto tune with no aerial connected. That should clear out your tuning database of any 'duff stuff' you have in it ATM. Then do a manual scan of the individual multiplexes that yo want.

| Wed 8 Apr 2020 16:19:21 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

ericcrichton

Well well. Took photo of schedule. Unplugged aerial from wall, autoscanned.
    45 channels found!!! Unplugged from humax, scanned, 0 found as wanted.
    Did various experiments with without attenuator which had little effect. I am in direct line with antenna and only 7 miles away and its very strong signal.
    Manually scanned all the channels. Signals on 21,24,32,37,40,49,50,58,59.
    Finally I tuned only the channels given by wolfbane 49 50 54 55 58 59.
    However, 54 55 had 0 signal. BBc1 & BBc2 missing, now at 751 752.
    12 channels between 751 and 795. 106 channels in total.

Doesn't seem quite right!! Am I still missing something?

| Thu 9 Apr 2020 11:15:06 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ericcrichton - 8 mins ago  » 
    However, 54 55 had 0 signal.

Are you remembering to change the Transmission type from DVB-T to DVB-T2 for these channels which are carrying high definition multiplexes?

| Thu 9 Apr 2020 11:27:37 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.