My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5 USA recordings start late and finish early

(64 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

When I set a series recording for Law and Order Special Victims Unit (5 USA, Tuesday 9pm) and New: Law and Order (5 USA, Thur 11:05pm) the recordings start about 3 minutes late (after the pre-title sequence and after even the title sequence!) and finish before the programme ends and well before the credits start. Other channels do not have the problem.

Q1 Is this bad timing signals created by 5 USA? Or a problem with the PVR?

Q2 If the problem is with the transmitted timing signals, who is responsible for them? I buy Freeview+ which advertises these features - to whom do I complain when the features do not work as advertised?

Q3 Can I set the timers to add padding and still keep the timing signals? On my veteren 9200T I could either have the timing signals; or have the padding added to the published time. Is it the same here?

Q4 Is there a better solution to ensure I catch the whole programme? ?

I am receiving Mendip.

Thanks

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 2:12:45 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harryhornby

special member

Hi John, my Missus is having the same issues with 5 and Neighbours. I've got a similar thread on here about unable to record same program on same day (Neighbours repeat, to cover when the first one goes wrong).

In answer to your questions, yes, it's apparently all Channel 5's fault and nothing to do with the Humax. They aren't the best at sending out correct signals etc etc.

Q2, don't know, I presume channel 5 and no 3rd party monitors this.

Q3 Yes can you add padding but it then adds padding to every show you record. Which isn't good because neighbours is cutting off 5 to 10 mins from the end which means a lot of wasted disk space for everything else we record.

Q4 I've been told to set a manual timer for the Neighbours repeat. God it feels like I've got a VHS again, maybe we should get video plus back! The other problem with setting an manual record is Neighbours is on 5 days a week but you can only set the repeat for the record daily, weekly which means we'll get a nice hours recording of something on Sat and Sunday too. Hardly ideal, but ho hum

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 7:56:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I have made complaints to Freeview (help, at, freeview.co.uk), Channel 5 (customerservices, AT, channel5.com) and OFCOM (tv.licensing, AT, ofcom.org.uk as below, sent to Freeview:

Can I suggest you complain too, preferably using different words!

Dear Sir or Madam

I wish to make a complaint about the timing signals transmitted by channels 5 and 5 USA which Freeview and Freeview+ recorders use to record the programmes.

These signals should be transmitted when the program starts, and when the program credits end, so that the recorder can record the entire programme.

5 and 5 USA transmit these signals at the incorrect times.

Some examples:

1 When using these timing signals to record Law and Order Special Victims Unit (5 USA, Tuesdays 9pm) and New: Law and Order (5 USA, Thursdays 11:05pm) the recordings start about three minutes late, which means that the recording misses the first three minutes of the programme and misses the entire title sequence. The recordings end before the programme has finished, while the scene is still playing. The recording therefore misses the ending minute(s) of the programme and misses the credits.

2 When using these timing signals to record the daily Neighbours programmes, the recording is ended five to ten minutes early.

This is not acceptable.

Question 1 Who is responsible for inserting these timing signals into the transmitted signal?

Question 2 To whom do I complain to get this error corrected

Question 3 If I should complain to you, can you please

a) confirm to me that you have accepted my complaint, and that you are investigating it

b) confirm to me that the problem will be corrected in a reasonable time

Thank you.

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 11:35:25 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Can both of you look at this post and check you really do not have multiple transmitter reception ?

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/cant-record-same-program-repeated-later-in-day/page/3#post-44787

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 12:18:28 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Unfortunately, C5 have little incentive (and possibly little ability, under their new masters) to pull their socks up. Do other Viacom channels comply with ETSI Accurate Recording standards? If Viacom don't care, C5 have no reason to care. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but that's the reality.

DTG (who own and operate the Freeview brands and certification standards) aren't involved, and neither are OFCOM.

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 12:43:40 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Unfortunately, C5 have little incentive (and possibly little ability, under their new masters) to pull their socks up. Do other Viacom channels comply with ETSI Accurate Recording standards? If Viacom don't care, C5 have no reason to care. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but that's the reality.
    DTG (who own and operate the Freeview brands and certification standards) aren't involved, and neither are OFCOM.

I record Neighbours and Home Away every lunchtime using a HDR FOX T2 without any current issues. From Lark Stoke (Sutton Coldfield relay), I doubt that the transmitter is relevant. As it's the same broadcast it would seem to be :

1 A sofware issue with the FVP4000T - As Barry can't replicate seems unlikely.

or

2 Multiple transmitter reception, we have seen posts that definetely only 1 transmitter is involved. I still wonder if these posters have actually manually tuned, or assumed the post auto tune region option will fix the issue without actually checking the UHF mux they are actually receiving.

I will set the OP's problem broadcasts on my second HDR FOX T2 and report back.

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 12:57:16 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » 
    I record Neighbours and Home Away every lunchtime using a HDR FOX T2 without any current issues.
    [..]
    I still wonder if these posters have actually manually tuned, or assumed the post auto tune region option will fix the issue without actually checking the UHF mux they are actually receiving.

Good point.

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 13:08:36 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Can both of you look at this post and check you really do not have multiple transmitter reception ?

I have confirmed that I am receiving only the Mandip main transmitter multiplexes (C33, C48, C49, C52, C54, C56 and C58).

For others wishing to check

1 Tune to a station on the multiplex to be checked
    2 Menu > Settings > Channel settings > Signal

This lists the multiplex channel number.

NB if you cycle through BBC1, ITV, BBC 1 HD, ITV3, Dave, Yesterday and 4seven HD you pick up each multiplex. Mendip (and other) transmitter information can be found at Mendip transmitter information

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 13:15:58 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

James

Do other Viacom channels comply with ETSI Accurate Recording standards?

Thank you. In my experience they do - BBC and ITV etc seem very good - and the commercial channels also comply quite well with the 4 minute advert break. I have sent a similar complaint to info, AT, etsi.org

RANT ON: It annoys me that the advert break is longer on "less mainstream" channels and that "fred sponsors ..." is outside the time limit, as are the perpetually repeated trailers for future programmes which, surely, are adverts!! RANT OFF

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 13:31:40 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 17 minutes ago  » 

I have confirmed that I am receiving only the Mandip main transmitter multiplexes (C33, C48, C49, C52, C54, C56 and C58).
    For others wishing to check
    1 Tune to a station on the multiplex to be checked
    2 Menu > Settings > Channel settings > Signal
    This lists the multiplex channel number.
    NB if you cycle through BBC1, ITV, BBC 1 HD, ITV3, Dave, Yesterday and 4seven HD you pick up each multiplex. Mendip (and other) transmitter information can be found at Mendip transmitter information

Thanks for the info. I don't have a 4000T so not aware of method of finding the data.

I have set the 5 USA recordings, the programme I found on Thursday is scheduled at 23:00 (presumably it's the one you are having issues with)

| Tue 12 Jan 2016 13:36:25 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.