My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

5+ year old hard drive not recognised :(

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

My five and a half year old 1000s is now reporting no HDD it had been up dated with 2TB WD AV drive about 5 years ago.

Unfortunately the other day it paused a recording and then rebooted with no recordings available after that, unplugged it and the recordings returned. A couple of days later it did it again but left me with a blank screen and I haven't been able to get recordings back this time and it thinks no hard drive is connected in settings. Not once did it ask me to format the hard drive and obviously I can't now. (Tried a reset of course)

I had still been getting the occasional reboot possibly that was a sign that something wasn't quite right.

Any guesses as to whether it is the box or HDD, fingers crossed it is the HDD.

So I presume when I have the time I need to remove the HD and check to see if my laptop can see it and pop another HDD in to the box to see if that formats and works okay. (Unfortunately I haven't got a spare HDD, they all have stuff on them)

So for now I'm back using my 2008 Foxsat HDR (with 1Tb WD AV), luckily it is still going as I don't want to buy another box.

| Mon 12 Jun 2017 9:30:30 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If your laptop can see it then given it's age (think it can't be more than four and a half years) I would guess disk corruption.

You could try deleting the partitions on it and reinserting it in the HDR-1000S.

| Mon 12 Jun 2017 9:54:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I had a very similar problem with my 4&1/2 year old HDD two weeks ago...

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/bye-bye-tivo-is-there-a-humax-box-for-me/page/2#post-58722

Although in my case the box kept asking me to format the HDD and then when OK'd it simply looped back to the format required message. When mounted on my PC no disk was recognised so I replaced it with a new one and all OK. I did have the luxury of an available temp HDD to ascertain that the box would recognise and format a disk.

| Mon 12 Jun 2017 10:52:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 
    If your laptop can see it then given it's age (think it can't be more than four and a half years) I would guess disk corruption.
    You could try deleting the partitions on it and reinserting it in the HDR-1000S.

Okay thanks, will try that if possible.

and yes you're quite right my maths was a little out as I'd formatted the drive 3 times by March 2013 so the HDD is probably a little under four and a half years old.

| Mon 12 Jun 2017 11:33:37 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Pollensa1946 - 41 minutes ago  » 
    I had a very similar problem with my 4&1/2 year old HDD two weeks ago...
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/bye-bye-tivo-is-there-a-humax-box-for-me/page/2#post-58722
    Although in my case the box kept asking me to format the HDD and then when OK'd it simply looped back to the format required message. When mounted on my PC no disk was recognised so I replaced it with a new one and all OK. I did have the luxury of an available temp HDD to ascertain that the box would recognise and format a disk.

Thanks I will try and move some data around on the discs I do have and hopefully I'll have room to pop a small HDD in it to test. Possibly the 320GB that came out of the Foxsat HDR.

| Mon 12 Jun 2017 11:38:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Sitrep.........I took the HDD out and Windows recognised it and I was able to delete the partitions, popped it back in and nothing. Took it out again and did a basic format with Windows and copied a few videos on to it and they all played so the HDD seems healthy enough. Again put it back in the 1000s, went to storage and it told me to connect a HDD to record etc.
    So it looks like it might be the box ?

| Mon 12 Jun 2017 16:40:38 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

If you read thru my linked posts regarding the new Seagate Pipeline HDD I bought from Amazon you will see a similar case. The Seagate was recognised by the Humax and formatted, it was also OK on my PC, but no way would the Humax boot up from s/by with that disk. I put the temp disk back in the Humax and it worked perfectly. I assume the Seagate was damaged in transit. The replacement WD disk I got works fine. I would still try a temp disk from your collection in the box and see what happens.

| Mon 12 Jun 2017 16:50:12 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

When you replaced the disk and powered up the HDR-1000S did the disk spin up?

The well known problem with "disk failures" due to a faulty component was reported on newer units than yours, My unit is older than yours August/September 2012 I think.

It could also be a power supply problem. I don't remember if the SATA and power was in a single connector or two, if two you could try (carefully) connecting a PC SATA power cable to see if that solves the problem.

| Mon 12 Jun 2017 16:57:38 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Pollensa1946 - 41 minutes ago  » 
    If you read thru my linked posts regarding the new Seagate Pipeline HDD I bought from Amazon you will see a similar case. The Seagate was recognised by the Humax and formatted, it was also OK on my PC, but no way would the Humax boot up from s/by with that disk. I put the temp disk back in the Humax and it worked perfectly. I assume the Seagate was damaged in transit. The replacement WD disk I got works fine. I would still try a temp disk from your collection in the box and see what happens.

Well it looks like I might have a spare healthy 2Tb WDAV drive, so I could transfer some stuff to that and then pop the 320gb in the box, definitely worth trying as you say.

| Mon 12 Jun 2017 17:39:04 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

REPASSAC - 41 minutes ago  » 
    When you replaced the disk and powered up the HDR-1000S did the disk spin up?
    The well known problem with "disk failures" due to a faulty component was reported on newer units than yours, My unit is older than yours August/September 2012 I think.
    It could also be a power supply problem. I don't remember if the SATA and power was in a single connector or two, if two you could try (carefully) connecting a PC SATA power cable to see if that solves the problem.

Yes it did spin up and stayed spinning and it is still very quiet.

SATA and power are on a single connector.

| Mon 12 Jun 2017 17:44:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.