My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Bye Bye TiVo - Is there a Humax Box for me?

(19 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You should use a drive specified for AV use.

I use this one in my HDR1000S.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008B0RQ1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&psc=1

| Sat 3 Jun 2017 7:55:21 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My experience of that drive from Amazon is not a good one. As I mentioned here...

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/loud-buzzing-and-hot#post-58667

the HDD in my HDR1000S failed. I ordered that Seagate drive. It arrived in a Jiffy bag enclosed in the usual Amazon cardboard wrapper used for books/CD's etc. Completely inadequate for a HDD. Nevertheless I put it in the 1000 and it initialised and ran OK. However, later when I booted up from s/by the box hung with the disk furiously seeking. I put the old, temporary, HDD back in the box and all OK. I put the new Seagate drive in a desktop cradle, wiped it and put it back in the 1000. Same routine as before. I returned it to Amazon for a refund and got this...

http://www.ebuyer.com/625081-wd-purple-2tb-3-5-sata-surveillance-hard-drive-wd20purx

...which with their Collect+ to a local store worked out cheaper than Amazon and it works perfectly.

| Sat 3 Jun 2017 9:13:38 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    My experience of that drive from Amazon is not a good one. As I mentioned here...
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/loud-buzzing-and-hot#post-58667
    the HDD in my HDR1000S failed. I ordered that Seagate drive. It arrived in a Jiffy bag enclosed in the usual Amazon cardboard wrapper used for books/CD's etc. Completely inadequate for a HDD. Nevertheless I put it in the 1000 and it initialised and ran OK. However, later when I booted up from s/by the box hung with the disk furiously seeking. I put the old, temporary, HDD back in the box and all OK. I put the new Seagate drive in a desktop cradle, wiped it and put it back in the 1000.

For reference I have been using that drive in a Humax HDR-FOX T2 for three years and approaching 20,000 power on hours with zero problems.

Same routine as before. I returned it to Amazon for a refund and got this...
    http://www.ebuyer.com/625081-wd-purple-2tb-3-5-sata-surveillance-hard-drive-wd20purx
    ...which with their Collect+ to a local store worked out cheaper than Amazon and it works perfectly.

af123 over at hummy.tv has technical objections to using the Western Digital Surveillance Drives for PVR usage.

| Sat 3 Jun 2017 10:38:41 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

I have two HDR-FOX T2s in use and they both have ST2000VM003s.
    One of them frequently has multiple disk activities gong on at the same time and has had the ST2000VM003s for a little over two years and the other has been using an ST2000VM003 for over 3 years.

Even in periods of high activity neither are noisy apart from a loud click when they go into standby.

Both have some high-fly-writes logged on the disk's smart info but that appears cured now that moving them when dusting is avoided when they are switched on or probably recording in stand-by.

The temperature was not excessive especially when concidering it is 1 2TB drive, but a few months after installing the replacement disk I set the fan to have a minimum speed when the Humax would normally have the fan switched off. This has helped kept the temperature well under the point where the HDR-FOX T2s would have switch on the fan to an audibly annoyingly level.

| Sat 3 Jun 2017 11:00:52 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 
    My experience of that drive from Amazon is not a good one...It arrived in a Jiffy bag enclosed in the usual Amazon cardboard wrapper used for books/CD's etc. Completely inadequate for a HDD..

As I said. My experience from Amazon. My feedback to Amazon was that the packaging could have contributed to the problem.

Martin Liddle - 41 minutes ago  » ...af123 over at hummy.tv has technical objections to using the Western Digital Surveillance Drives for PVR usage.

Could you expand on that.

| Sat 3 Jun 2017 11:21:02 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 4 hours ago  » 

My experience of that drive from Amazon is not a good one...It arrived in a Jiffy bag enclosed in the usual Amazon cardboard wrapper used for books/CD's etc. Completely inadequate for a HDD..

As I said. My experience from Amazon. My feedback to Amazon was that the packaging could have contributed to the problem.

Martin Liddle - 41 minutes ago  » ...af123 over at hummy.tv has technical objections to using the Western Digital Surveillance Drives for PVR usage.

Mine is whisper quiet. Unlike the WD-AV drives no jumper required to reduce the data transfer speed.

| Sat 3 Jun 2017 15:31:02 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

This discussion is becoming an esoteric debate on Seagate vs WD. I simply pointed out that my experience of ordering that drive from Amazon was not a good one. I decided not to request a replacement from Amazon based on... a) they were at that point out of stock b) their incompetence in packaging. My past experience with Ebuyer has been excellent.
    As to WD drives requiring jumpers... no idea, I put it into my HDR1000S and it runs. Now I may yet live to regret buying that WD drive, who knows, but I've seen nothing yet to convince me that is highly likely. For example, in the hummy.tv post by af123 he/she states a write capacity of 60TB per year. That in itself would require the user to fill the disk 30 times in a year, unlikely in my case. However, wait a minute, that figure is open to challenge, the official WD spec on their webpage states 180TB per year. The rest of the hummy.tv "observations" are just that.
    On balance my experience of Seagate vs WD has been, in desktop use over 15 years, that WD are more reliable. It will be interesting to see if that holds up in PVR use.

| Sat 3 Jun 2017 15:51:24 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

af123 has posted a few times on why he is not keen technically on WD for a PVR.
    An example can be found at https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/swapping-hdds.7538/#post-102533

grahamlthompson - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Mine is whisper quiet.

Both mine aren't any where near as loud as a whisper apart from the loud click when they go into standby. If my first was as loud as a whisper then I wouldn't have bought a second one.

| Sat 3 Jun 2017 16:13:24 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Luke - 6 minutes ago  » 

af123 has posted a few times on why he is not keen technically on WD for a PVR.
    An example can be found at https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/swapping-hdds.7538/#post-102533

grahamlthompson - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Mine is whisper quiet.

Both mine aren't any where near as loud as a whisper apart from the loud click when they go into standby. If my first was as loud as a whisper then I wouldn't have bought a second one.

Only way to tell if HDD is running is mute the audio and stick earhole right up to the case. Never noticed any click on shut down either.

| Sat 3 Jun 2017 16:21:56 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.