My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T lip-sync issues

(25 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

There is a possible Hiccup. I'm using a sound plate with an optical input.
    However, connecting it to your tv 's HDMI socket your crossing over audio systems.
    I have a samsung 4K tv and have my system connected to the optical output socket on the TV.That way If you turn on your sound bar ,Whatever your TV is on will come through your soundbar on the same sync as your vision appears, So long as you haven't set up an audio delay on your TV. Mine works fine on everything that I watch regardless of source.
    You can easily get an optical lead nearly anywhere for a couple of pounds ,and it is specifically for the sound systems. I found it cured a lot of problems. Just leave your Humax volume on Full So that you won't get a Dip in volume & use your TV, or soundbar volume to control it. It really does work well.

| Thu 11 Jul 2019 9:34:25 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

dbedford - 11 hours ago  » 
    My sound bar has one input HDMI, or optical which terminated in a HDMI socket. If I were to connect the sound bar to the Humax box I would get the sound feed from the Humax when using the slightly better tuners in the Samsung or watching 4K streaming video on same.
    We bought the box for the recording of 3/4 programme at once, so I guess we (my wife) can live with stereo for those recordings.
    Firmware is up to date...
    Thanks again.

Most Dolby Digital is in fact stereo, very little is 5.1. However stereo dolby digital does sound superior to mpeg1 layer 2 stereo provided you have reasonable speakers because it has enhanced dynamic range over mpeg stereo. Why don't you connect the sound bar to the 5000T optical output and enable dolby digital on that output, that should improve the sound when using HD channels.

eg

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink-Black/dp/B00L3KO3YU/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1V0RXG9B6HDXM&tag=blusas008-21&keywords=toslink+optical+cable&qid=1562835344&s=electronics&sprefix=toslink+%2Cinstant-video%2C139&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

Don't buy the gold plated ones they can ruin the sockets.

| Thu 11 Jul 2019 9:56:37 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

grahamlthompson - 15 mins ago  » 

My sound bar has one input HDMI, or optical which terminated in a HDMI socket. If I were to connect the sound bar to the Humax box I would get the sound feed from the Humax when using the slightly better tuners in the Samsung or watching 4K streaming video on same.
    We bought the box for the recording of 3/4 programme at once, so I guess we (my wife) can live with stereo for those recordings.
    Thanks again.

Most Dolby Digital is in fact stereo, very little is 5.1. However stereo dolby digital does sound superior to mpeg1 layer 2 stereo provided you have reasonable speakers because it has enhanced dynamic range over mpeg stereo. Why don't you connect the sound bar to the 5000T optical output and enable dolby digital on that output, that should improve the sound when using HD channels.
    eg
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink-Black/dp/B00L3KO3YU/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1V0RXG9B6HDXM&tag=blusas008-21&keywords=toslink+optical+cable&qid=1562835344&s=electronics&sprefix=toslink+%2Cinstant-video%2C139&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

The Sonos Beam only has a single HDMI port, not separate HDMI and optical. Connection with optical is via the included adapter. Connecting direct to the Beam will mean that it cannot then be used to enhance anything viewed directly on the TV but may indicate whether or not the issue is the way the Sonos processes the audio from the Humax. But, as the link I provided indicates, the issue appears to be the fault of the Sonos and not limited to specific peripherals.

| Thu 11 Jul 2019 10:18:50 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I will guess that there is a setting on the Samsung TV to control the audio output (via hdmi arc) that is separate to the lipsync controls and the OP has not found this yet (probably hidden deep in a sub menu).

| Thu 11 Jul 2019 10:24:18 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 15 mins ago  » 

Thanks again.

eg

The Sonos Beam only has a single HDMI port, not separate HDMI and optical. Connection with optical is via the included adapter. Connecting direct to the Beam will mean that it cannot then be used to enhance anything viewed directly on the TV but may indicate whether or not the issue is the way the Sonos processes the audio from the Humax. But, as the link I provided indicates, the issue appears to be the fault of the Sonos and not limited to specific peripherals.

Doesn't the TV have toslink out that you can use to connect the soundbar to ?
    There's no advantage in using HDMI for audio unless you have a lossless source like DTS Master HD. (as found on blu-ray disks).

| Thu 11 Jul 2019 11:32:18 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I would have thought that the TV does indeed have toslink/optical out and the OP should explore this option but the recommended method of connection with the Sonos is via hdmi arc, so that its voice command features can be utilised.

| Thu 11 Jul 2019 12:26:22 #16 |
  7. Trev

Trev

special member

It seems that the OP has a problem with lip sync, not voice control. Regardless of the recommended connection method, it would be prudent to try the optical method to see if that fixes the lipsync problem, as has been suggested a couple of times as ATM, the OP is considering returning a probably perfectly fully serviceable box.

| Fri 12 Jul 2019 8:04:28 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dbedford

Optical connection is a no go and sound has to come from the TV as we don't used the Humax for everything. Thinking of just disconnecting the Humax and just using the TV directly connected to the aerial with a HDD grabbing of the back.

Thanks for your help, but as lipsync trails video and slows down even further with DD there needs to come a time with the broadcasters look to transmit audio with a lead on the video. This could then able users to slow it down using the controls provided on nearly every TV, PVR and sound bar.

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 17:49:04 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Why do you say "optical connection is a no go" ?

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 19:19:19 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

dbedford

My Sonos Beam has one input HDMI in to out or HDMI to optical via adoptor. As we don't use the Humax for Netflix etc the output to the Bean would be lost.

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 20:01:09 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.