My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T lip-sync issues

(25 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

dbedford - 3 hours ago  » 
    Optical connection is a no go and sound has to come from the TV as we don't used the Humax for everything. Thinking of just disconnecting the Humax and just using the TV directly connected to the aerial with a HDD grabbing of the back.
    Thanks for your help, but as lipsync trails video and slows down even further with DD there needs to come a time with the broadcasters look to transmit audio with a lead on the video. This could then able users to slow it down using the controls provided on nearly every TV, PVR and sound bar.

That will never work. The decoding of the compressed video data always takes longer than the audio. That would cause issues for anyone who does not have the problem.

The audio on my Panasonic TV is normally muted. I just unmuted it and the Dolby Digital stream is perfectly in sync. I have a recording of both the synch test and the 5.1 channel location the BBC used to transmit along with the test card. The synch is bang on.

My better half can detect a tiny lip synch error.

Any box you buy will have the same issue as they use the same source.

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 20:22:17 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

dbedford - 1 hour ago  » 
    My Sonos Beam has one input HDMI in to out or HDMI to optical via adoptor. As we don't use the Humax for Netflix etc the output to the Bean would be lost.

Not sure I follow
    Why not Humax into TV via hdmi, TV to Sonos via optical?

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 20:23:20 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

dbedford - 1 hour ago  » 
    My Sonos Beam has one input HDMI in to out or HDMI to optical via adoptor. As we don't use the Humax for Netflix etc the output to the Bean would be lost.

Why not use the Netflix app on the Humax. It works the same as any other box. However netflix also has 5.1 out and it's very good quality.

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 20:30:36 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

dbedford

My Samsung TV also has great 5.1 output on Netflix and UHD.
    Also on the Humax at 75% signal strength i keep get black screens and ‘signal to weak’ messages which then clear after a few seconds .. Something I never got with my previous Humax PVR.

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 21:26:38 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

dbedford - 3 mins ago  » 
    My Samsung TV also has great 5.1 output on Netflix and UHD.
    Also on the Humax at 75% signal strength i keep get black screens and ‘signal to weak’ messages which then clear after a few seconds .. Something I never got with my previous Humax PVR.

Try fitting a variable attenuator and reducing the signal strength to around 60% or so checking the quality remains at near 100% (or remove any amplification you may have). This box has sensitive tuners that can hang on to a weak signal at the expense of too high a signal overloading the tuner front end. The symptoms are exactly what happens when you drive the tuner front end amplifier to a level that clips the carrier signal.

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 21:35:43 #25 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.