My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T set up

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

woldsweather

Just got my 5000T (very hesitant to move on from TiVo series 1). In set up it has found 186 channels. However it hangs on saving. (I left it and it was still saving 24+ hours later). How do I get past saving?

| Sat 9 Jun 2018 19:21:56 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

woldsweather - 1 hour ago  » 
    Just got my 5000T (very hesitant to move on from TiVo series 1). In set up it has found 186 channels. However it hangs on saving. (I left it and it was still saving 24+ hours later). How do I get past saving?

Something is wrong. Setup normally takes about 5-10 mins.

Guessing you might be in a location where you get 2 or more transmitters.

You would normally get around 70 channels depending on your preferred transmitter. That would indicate 3 transmitters in range.

This would seem to be a a location where it's best to manually tune the box to a single transmitter. A pure guess you are in a elevated location with access to two main transmitters plus possibly a relay transmitter as well.

Firstly enter your postcode here and tick the detailed view to identify your best transmitter.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/reception_guide

Post the transmitter name at the top of the list the first 3 characters of your postcode and the approx direction your aerial points, plus whether the aerial elements are horizontal or vertical.

Can you also post the alternative transmitters listed as well.

Welcome to our forum.

| Sat 9 Jun 2018 20:40:30 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

woldsweather - 1 hour ago  » 

Something is wrong. Setup normally takes about 5-10 mins.
    Guessing you might be in a location where you get 2 or more transmitters.
    You would normally get around 70 channels depending on your preferred transmitter. That would indicate 3 transmitters in range.
    This would seem to be a a location where it's best to manually tune the box to a single transmitter. A pure guess you are in a elevated location with access to two main transmitters plus possibly a relay transmitter as well.
    Firstly enter your postcode here and tick the detailed view to identify your best transmitter.
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/reception_guide
    Post the transmitter name at the top of the list the first 3 characters of your postcode and the approx direction your aerial points, plus whether the aerial elements are horizontal or vertical.
    Can you also post the alternative transmitters listed as well.
    Welcome to our forum.

There are three areas near Winter Hill that if tuned to just Winter Hill would have exactly 186 chanels from that one transmiter.

| Sat 9 Jun 2018 22:38:42 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

woldsweather

It mentions Bilsdale:

this address is predicted to receive a good terrestrial TV signal from the Bilsdale transmitter in the Tyne Tees region. Your local BBC news service is Look North and North East Tonight for ITV.

Postcode is YO25. Aerial points WSW with horizontal elements.
    The only way I could get out of it hanging on saving was to reboot and start again and stop the scanning when it reached 110. I then ended up with a freezing and starting picture and the option for channels was greyed out apart from signal strength which shoed 74%

On my TV we have to watch BBC news from Newcastle which is not our natural area (Leeds or Hull). I can switch to satellite to get the TV region I want (live).

| Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:26:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

woldsweather

I suspect previous West Riding (wezzie!) folk wanted their TV to come from Leeds. I'll settle for the best reception.

| Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:30:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

woldsweather

Presumably I need to do some sort of factory reset to get to manual programming? However this is greyed out.

| Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:58:39 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Settings can be grayed out if recording or within 15 mins of one.

| Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:13:17 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

woldsweather - 20 minutes ago  » 
    It mentions Bilsdale:
    this address is predicted to receive a good terrestrial TV signal from the Bilsdale transmitter in the Tyne Tees region. Your local BBC news service is Look North and North East Tonight for ITV.
    Postcode is YO25. Aerial points WSW with horizontal elements.

That makes it sounds as though you did not do as Graham suggested, which was to tick the 'detailed view' tick box.
    Here is a link with the tick box already ticked.
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/index/dummy/NA/yes

Put in your postcode there and you can see the predicted results for all 3 transmitters where you may get some sort of signal.

It does need a bit of explanation though.
    The Belmont sections are the predicted results for an average Group T aerial mounted at 10 metres for Belmont reception.
    The Emley Moor section is the predicted results for an average Group T aerial mounted at 10 metres for Emley Moor reception.
    The Bilsdale sections are the predicted results for an average Group T aerial mounted at 10 metres for Bilsdale reception.

woldsweather - 30 minutes ago  » 
    I suspect previous West Riding (wezzie!) folk wanted their TV to come from Leeds. I'll settle for the best reception.

As your aerial appears to be set up for Bilsdale this means that with your current aerial setup only that prediction is probably accurate. The reception from Belmount would only apply if you change the direction of your aerial, plus may also need an aerial replacement. Your current aerial may be a Group A aerial and if it is a Group A aerial then until Jan-Mar 2020 would not be able to receive Arq A and Arq B from Belmount when their two broadcast frequencies change.
    Those West Riding folk may have also been going for "best reception"

Have a look at the rows marked "Jan-Mar 20" for each transmitter. What is likely to be "best reception" now (for a suitably mounted aerial and an aerial off a suitable group) may not be the predicted "best reception" come Jun 2020.
    The detailed view should help you to see how stable the options are and whether or not the usefulness of any aerial adjustments could be short lived.

| Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:29:38 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

woldsweather - 33 minutes ago  » 
    Presumably I need to do some sort of factory reset to get to manual programming?

Step 4 of the following link has how to clear out the current tuning without having to action a full reset.
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/manual-tuning-instructions-1

| Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:34:37 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

woldsweather

Bilsdale is 296 degrees from here - WNW but the aerial points almost SW.
    Bilsdale comes in with the best signal though.

| Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:34:59 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.