My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T Stops Collecting Historical EPG Data

(33 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bunzer

Martin Liddle - 14 mins ago  » 
    What software route did you use?

Probably the wrong choice of word. All I meant was using the Humax's power settings to "restart" it.

| Mon 3 Feb 2020 16:03:12 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Bunzer - 28 mins ago  » 
    Probably the wrong choice of word. All I meant was using the Humax's power settings to "restart" it.

The software method that I advocate (and has helped a number of people) is to set the DNS address on the Humax to something other than the router. Obviously as your replacement box is working then no need to do anything but worth keeping in mind in case the problem crops up again.

| Mon 3 Feb 2020 16:34:58 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bunzer

Martin Liddle - 7 mins ago  » 
    The software method that I advocate (and has helped a number of people) is to set the DNS address on the Humax to something other than the router. Obviously as your replacement box is working then no need to do anything but worth keeping in mind in case the problem crops up again.

Surely the effectiveness of that workaround depends entirely on the original DNS used by the router?

| Mon 3 Feb 2020 16:43:07 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Bunzer - 4 mins ago  » 
    Surely the effectiveness of that workaround depends entirely on the original DNS used by the router?

No; most routers don't function as full DNS servers but just cache DNS requests (many using DNSMASQ) and it is somehow the caching mechanism that isn't playing well with the Humax. Setting an external DNS address takes the router out of the equation.

| Mon 3 Feb 2020 16:51:00 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

most routers don't function as full DNS servers but just cache DNS requests

I have come to the conclusion that this is the most likely cause of problems with internet connection (and hence Freeview Play functions) - especially with ISP supplied routers. I have noted in my tests is that the DHCP response from the router when the network connection starts sends the router address as the DNS sever. The problem is that when using Wifi there is no means to set the IP addresses manually. Only a wired connection will allow that. Better behaved routers (like my Draytek 2862) correctly return the addresses of the DNS servers used by my ISP - using WiFi. And I no longer have a problem so happy... But I know it must be frustrating for others. Try a wired connection (using homeplug adapters if necessary) if stuck with an ISP supplied router that exhibits this problem.

| Tue 4 Feb 2020 9:06:57 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

atb

Hello
    Has a solution to this problem ever been found? it's been some months since the last post.

My historical EPG data disappears on a daily basis. At the moment I'm clearing the cookies, again daily which brings back the EPG data but I shouldn't be having to do that!

My 5000t is wired to the network and have manually tuned the channels so no duplicates.

I tried changing the DNS address on the Humax to something other than the router... really not sure if what I did was right because it wouldn't connect to the network at all!

anyone help?

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 23:08:42 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

atb - 55 mins ago  » 
    I tried changing the DNS address on the Humax to something other than the router... really not sure if what I did was right because it wouldn't connect to the network at all!

What exactly did you put in? The DNS address must point at a DNS server. Suitable addresses would be 208.67.222.222 or 8.8.8.8 but lots of other possibilities.

| Fri 12 Jun 2020 0:07:09 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

atb

thanks for your reply Martin.
    I'd looked back through this post and took your advice a little too literally and just changed one number... to something other than the routers DNS address!
    I will try a more suitable DNS address as you've suggested and see what happens.

It does seem to me though that someone who knows what they're doing, and I'd hope that the boffins at Humax know what they're doing, would be able to fix this issue. To me, it seems like it could be a small fix to sort out what is a fundamental feature of the box.

anyway, many thanks for your help

| Fri 12 Jun 2020 9:12:32 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bunzer

Has a solution to this problem ever been found? it's been some months since the last post.

Not sure if I posted this before, but the only way I got it fixed was to get it replaced.

Not impressed with this unit at all. It's terribly underpowered.

It was either that or Panasonic, and my Panasonic 42 inch plasma TV's EPG stopped working, with no new firmware expected. No choice at all.

| Fri 12 Jun 2020 9:39:14 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

atb - 2 hours ago  » 
    I'd looked back through this post and took your advice a little too literally and just changed one number... to something other than the routers DNS address!

As you found that will just mean that nothing will be able to access the Internet.

It does seem to me though that someone who knows what they're doing, and I'd hope that the boffins at Humax know what they're doing, would be able to fix this issue. To me, it seems like it could be a small fix to sort out what is a fundamental feature of the box.

But is the problem on the Humax or your router? I certainly don't suffer from this problem. As a matter of interest what router are you using?

| Fri 12 Jun 2020 11:43:47 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.