My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Advice on best sound options with Aura

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

I've had the Aura for a while, but now got a Sonos Ray soundbar to pair it with. But I know little to nothing about audio technologies.

So far I have things working "fine" but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.

At the moment the Aura connects to the TV via HDMI and then the Samsung TV outputs via optical to the Sonos Ray. Volume on the Ray can be controlled by the TV remote or I can adjust the volume of the Aura.

Should I be playing around with some settings in the Aura so that I get some form of (limited) surround sound etc if the relevant broadcast supports it? TV is 1080p only so I'm not using UHD iPlayer or Disney+ content (as fast as I am aware!).

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 19:27:17 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

special member

larkim - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've had the Aura for a while, but now got a Sonos Ray soundbar to pair it with. But I know little to nothing about audio technologies.
    So far I have things working "fine" but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.
    At the moment the Aura connects to the TV via HDMI and then the Samsung TV outputs via optical to the Sonos Ray. Volume on the Ray can be controlled by the TV remote or I can adjust the volume of the Aura.
    Should I be playing around with some settings in the Aura so that I get some form of (limited) surround sound etc if the relevant broadcast supports it? TV is 1080p only so I'm not using UHD iPlayer or Disney+ content (as fast as I am aware!).

Some TV is 5.1 surround sound and the Aura can pass through several other formats including Dolby Atmos from streaming apps, it is more of a case of what is the best your sound bar can deal with also being connected with an optical cable limits your choices, optical cannot cope with Dolby Atmos where as HDMI can.

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 20:50:55 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Thanks!

Soundbar is not Atmos compatible. It can handle Stereo PCM, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS Digital Surround apparently.

On the TV I've set the output to "DTS Neo 2.5" as that was the only option other than PCM which was available. On the TV "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" are greyed out options whilst I'm watching anything (as far as I can tell e.g. at the moment watching The Bear on Disney+).

Might there be settings on the Aura that would make the greyed out options available? And would I get any benefit?

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 21:00:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

special member

larkim - 34 mins ago  » 
    Thanks!
    Soundbar is not Atmos compatible. It can handle Stereo PCM, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS Digital Surround apparently.
    On the TV I've set the output to "DTS Neo 2.5" as that was the only option other than PCM which was available. On the TV "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" are greyed out options whilst I'm watching anything (as far as I can tell e.g. at the moment watching The Bear on Disney+).
    Might there be settings on the Aura that would make the greyed out options available? And would I get any benefit?

Yes but changing Aura settings will also require viewing content that is more than just stereo to see if it is of real benefit.
    You may find this of interest https://myaudiolover.com/dts-neo-2-5-vs-dolby-digital/

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 21:43:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Much appreciated, thanks. I tried watching iPlayer UHD badged content (e.g. Dr Who Xmas stuff) but saw no difference in the options.

Will have a read of that article too.

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 22:01:31 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

larkim - 33 mins ago  » 
    Much appreciated, thanks. I tried watching iPlayer UHD badged content (e.g. Dr Who Xmas stuff) but saw no difference in the options.
    Will have a read of that article too.

\
    BBC iPlayer UHD is Stereo only

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 22:36:10 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Ah, assumed there would be some clever stuff there

What might be a good non-stereo source to experiment with?

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 22:39:04 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

special member

larkim - 24 mins ago  » 
    Ah, assumed there would be some clever stuff there
    What might be a good non-stereo source to experiment with?

BBC1,2,3 HD movies are often 5.1 and YouTube should have plenty of content in all formats to try.

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 23:07:10 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

A bit late now, but all of the olympics was in 5.1, so if you have any of that recorded.....?

| Mon 19 Aug 2024 9:01:20 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Sadly, no! Tried a YT video which was notionally a 5.1 demo but the TV options didn't shift from just PCM or DTS Neo 2.5. The "demo" of the surround speakers sounded very tinny, which isn't what I expected (I know I don't actually have surround speakers, but expected the soundbar to emulate them as front left / front right without losing volume / quality). Like I say, I don't know what I should expect, as learning about "surround sound" tech hasn't been on my radar before.

DTS Neo 2.5 sounds "good" to me, so perhaps I should just stick with that. But I never like wondering whether there's something else in my lounge which could do more!

| Mon 19 Aug 2024 10:54:02 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.