My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

'All 4' app

(54 posts)
  1. Corrigap

Corrigap

My next step will be to bypass the router to see if that's causing the problem. And next in line would be to try and connect the box to the internet via a 4G link.

| Fri 22 May 2015 14:57:22 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I often suspect the dynamic-ad-insertion business of possibly being the source of streaming troubles. No evidence for this, just suspicion. If so, it might differ from programme to programme. If you want to mention some programmes that you're having difficulty with, I'll have a go and see if they play smoothly here.

Also - try re-entering your postcode? (long shot)

| Fri 22 May 2015 18:36:00 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

awplant

I have the same problem. I have a slow internet connection but other On Demand Channels BBC and ITV are fine. When trying to view a program on Channel 4 there is hesitation when the adverts load but they play fine until the final advert when it's stalls just before the program loads. Then the screen locks up nothing happens even if I leave it some time. I have tried a number of Channel 4 programs with the same result so for me my HDR-1000S doesn't work with Channel 4 On Demand.

I can view the Channel 4 On Demand programming wirelessly on my tablet, where it works fine using the same router and connection speed.

| Sat 6 Jun 2015 18:25:48 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rogermartin

Every time I try to watch a programme on 4OD I can only ever watch up to the first ad break, then I see the adds then the programme restarts as large pixelated blocks, which are impossible to remove.
    I have 70 meg virginmedia broadband, hardwired to the box, so its not a broadband speed issue, the problem seems more likely to be in the 4OD app, does anyone know if this problem is being investigated.

| Mon 5 Dec 2016 15:25:09 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rogermartin - 52 minutes ago  » 
    Every time I try to watch a programme on 4OD I can only ever watch up to the first ad break, then I see the adds then the programme restarts as large pixelated blocks, which are impossible to remove.
    I have 70 meg virginmedia broadband, hardwired to the box, so its not a broadband speed issue, the problem seems more likely to be in the 4OD app, does anyone know if this problem is being investigated.

If you post the programme you had an issue with I can see if it's repeatable.

| Mon 5 Dec 2016 16:18:00 #15 |
  6. Corrigap

Corrigap

As the 'instigator' of this particular thread, I feel I should butt in here to say that my problem with All 4 is now resolved.

For me, it turned out to be a 'Smart DNS' issue; I changed to a different Smart DNS service-provider and the problem instantly disappeared. I live outside the UK and use Smart DNS mainly for catch-up services.

I'm not saying this applies to everyone experiencing this issue, but I do hope this might be of help to someone at least.

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 6:04:13 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have never had success streaming All4 or any version of it on our 1000s. Mentioned many times in the past, it gets to the ad break okay then when it should return to the programme the picture goes green purple and totally blocky.

I use Chromecast now which I find 100% reliable.

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 16:03:10 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

kkippy

grahamlthompson - 2 months ago  » 

rogermartin - 52 minutes ago  » 

If you post the programme you had an issue with I can see if it's repeatable.

This happens with my All4 also.It is not caused by one particular programme, it happens on all All4 catch up programmes. First part plays perfectly, adverts play perfectly, then freeze and blocky pixelated mess. Virgin Media 70MB connected via ethernet cable, HB1000s. No problems with other catch up Apps.

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 22:32:27 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

wotu2

I've been having the same problem for several months with the HB-1000S, using the 4OD service the adverts play perfectly but the real program content is a mess, a distorted and partially pixcelated picture that rearranges every few seconds and doesn't seem to relate to the program I'm trying to watch, and there is no sound.. If I fast forward through the program to the next adverts, up they come perfectly, going back to a mess when the adverts are finished, With the BBC and ITV on-demand services I don't have any problems at all. I have a 4g router which gives me speeds up to 80 mbps and I use a cat6 cable connection, so I'm fairly sure the connection speed is not the cause.

I'm based in France and use a smart dns service (unlocator.com, others are available) and following Corrigap's post saying changing his smart DNS service had solved his problem, I started a trial with a different service, unblock-us.com, but using that I still have the same problem. There have been a couple of times (in many attempts) where I have been able to play a program successfully, having changed the DNS settings multiple times and rebooting everything, and I think I've solved it. But then, following the successful playback and without changing anything, a little later I try to play the same or another program and it doesn't work again!

I don't think it is a problem with the smart dns as I can watch 4OD programs on a smart TV using the same network with the same settings, and also on a laptop.

There's one clue that might mean something to someone out there, the rubbish picture that is shown instead of the actual program picture seems to be made up of sections of the previous program that I have successfully played in on-demand mode, either a picture from the advert that preceded the program (on 4OD) or sometimes even a picture from a different on-demand service, e.g. BBC.
    I've worked in IT for over 30 years (but nothing to do with video processing), and this looks like some sort of buffering or cache problem, the new video stream isn't being picked up from the right place, or it isn't being written there in the first place. But as I say, I'm not an expert, it's just an educated guess.

Just thought I'd point out that perhaps this is a more common problem than some might think, for every person who goes to the bother of registering on this site to say they are having this same problem, there are probably quite a few who cannot be bothered, and there doesn't seem to be any other relevent sites out there.

| Thu 16 Feb 2017 14:18:35 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

tbkbt

rogermartin - 2 months ago  » 

I came on here to say about the same issue, happens with every.single.program. Then if i try to quit then go back in, i have to rewatch ads, im not sitting around to watch 5 mins of ads before i can get back to my program.
    anyone know a fix for this yet?

| Sat 18 Feb 2017 18:57:02 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.