My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Amazon Prime

(24 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Freewatch

Amazon prime has had an enormous amount of publicity recently (Grand Tour) When will Humax provide a dedicated app for easy access?

| Wed 1 Feb 2017 21:42:02 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

When Amazon provide a source based on cost versus based on revenue, assumed the box has enough resources to support Netflix and Amazon Prime/

It has nothing to do with Humax the box software and the hardware required to support is entirely down to Freesat.

If you want Amazon Prime get either, a Prime TV stick or Prime TV box or a Android box/tablet that suports the Prime TV app.

| Wed 1 Feb 2017 22:26:45 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tafwys

My Humax 1100S sat box gives me access to a mere 12 On-Demand apps (four of which are for paid services), whereas my Samsung TV provides a much greater range, including Amazon Prime.
    But even worse is Humax's own collection of third-rate apps through its TV Portal. Shouldn't Humax remove these out of embarrassment? Do they actually believe that anyone is desperate enough to use them? Or are these just a legacy from previous models which the company installed in error?

| Thu 2 Feb 2017 13:18:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Freewatch

Hi again, my enquiry relates to a freeview box 4000T. Surely Freesat has no relevance?

| Thu 2 Feb 2017 13:29:58 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Freewatch - 51 minutes ago  » 
    Hi again, my enquiry relates to a freeview box 4000T. Surely Freesat has no relevance?

Sorry for Freesat should be Freeview and the spec for Freeview Play devices.

| Thu 2 Feb 2017 14:23:12 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Freewatch - 18 hours ago  » 
    Amazon prime has had an enormous amount of publicity recently (Grand Tour) When will Humax provide a dedicated app for easy access?

Only Humax and Amazon can answer this.

It will come down to money and Humax will have to support it when the app doesn't work or customers have difficulty for whatever unrelated problem.

No doubt Netflix paid Humax and they'll be well aware of new subscription take up and existing customers taking advantage of another platform. If the number of new subscriptions added up then a case could be made for amazon.

whether amazon will pay to be put on another new platform such as Humax is questionable as they have most of the bases covered with other devices, LG, Samsung, Panasonic, gaming machines, tablets etc. etc. Amazon are only interested in money and getting more subscriptions. They already have a number of extra subscriptions by tricking people to take amazon prime. Last year I was bombarded with offers for prime when going through the order process with amazon, they were using double negatives and switching yes/no question boxes around for prime with free p&p and free 5 day p&p to such an extent that it was almost impossible not to sign up. Impossible to cancel online or via email only by phone which is again almost impossible to find.
    Amazon's customer service is awful, my account was hacked, I told them and I removed my payment methods, a few weeks later they took money from my credit card and now won't refund to the same credit card, but I have to write to an address in London and provide bank account details. Nothing is easy with amazon apart from them taking money with no checks and/or single click purchasing. Too easy for ordering from, but their processes make any redress really difficult.

As much as I would like to see the Humax platform opened up I can't imagine amazon being interested as they already have their own methods to get subscriptions and it could be a headache for humax customer services to support.

| Thu 2 Feb 2017 17:03:16 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Freewatch - 19 hours ago  » 

As Graham has remarked you are much better off with a dedicated streaming device. There are plenty out there for little money. I like my Chromecast but there are lots of others too.

Devices such as SMART TVs and SMART PVR's don't remain SMART very long as once you have been sold the device there's little incentive or money to be made through long term manufacturer support.

| Thu 2 Feb 2017 17:32:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Freewatch

The box the 4000T came in states very clearly in large print 'Humax Portal for additional Apps' I took that to mean that for buyers there was a way of downloading other apps like Amazon Prime. Obviously a bit naive of me.

| Thu 2 Feb 2017 22:58:41 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Freewatch - 11 hours ago  » 
    The box the 4000T came in states very clearly in large print 'Humax Portal for additional Apps' I took that to mean that for buyers there was a way of downloading other apps like Amazon Prime. Obviously a bit naive of me.

Don't feel bad about it. When I bought my HDR1000S in 2012 it came with a statement that "Humax plan to make a server facility available". Still waiting. Humax do tend to exaggerate a bit. Which has at least equipped me to look critically at everything they say about their products next time I'm in the market to buy. So not entirely a loss.

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 10:44:49 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Freewatch - 13 hours ago  » 

As you say somewhat naive. Most manufacturers advertise these portals. They are not lying other than lying by commission. The apps will be there but unlike Apple or Android they are very limited in the amount that are available.

Companies such as Netflix or Amazon negotiate with other companies to feature their apps. However, it has to be financially viable for the parties concerned.

As already said - get a dedicated streaming device.

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 12:43:15 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.