My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Another HDR1000S with a "missing" disk

(49 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

You haven't downloaded and used the recording app onto your phone or tablet at any point in the past have you?

| Sat 14 May 2016 11:23:42 #31 |
  2. grumpybrush

grumpybrush

Donator ££££

Yes I have but not on this new machine.

| Sat 14 May 2016 11:26:09 #32 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

martip - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Well, here is another HDR-1000S/ 1TB machine which has lost it's head!
    Showed no recordings, as it has done on occasions before. Power cycled - no change. "storage" doesn't see the HD. Power cycled again, leaving box completely disconnected for several days. No change. Watching TV one evening, hit the pause button, which previously had no response obviously, and screen blanked! Waited a short time, hit return/exit button and back to programme ok. Go into recordings, all recordings now show! Attempt to play any recording and "unsupported file format" message appeared. OK, so then thought HD corrupt; nothing for it but to re-format. When this attempted error that HD cannot be formatted appeared. OK, so today thought I would enter the fray on here and wanted to get the error messages correct for this text - whaddya know, the damn thing worked OK, all recordings are back, and playable. TV would not pause though, so tried a brief record of the F1 practice 3, and after canceling that I can now pause!
    Over the months one thing I have noticed is the HD frequently spinning up for a short time and then winding down. I have seen in another thread that the HD has a MTBF which specify a max start up / wind down figure per year (or something like that) Now if this HD activity is happening many, many times a day (as it is) then could this be the issue?
    I have now performed a disc cleanup and all working OK AT THE MOMENT.
    Sorry for lengthy diatribe but I am getting fed up.
    Software is UKSFA 3.00.31
    Loader is UKSFAA 1.08
    Update date: 30/3/16

The disk spins up every 20 minutes or so if you have paired the remote scheduling app. It's checking with the server to see if you have any changes to process. If you are at home I would unpair the app. As you say all the boot ups can't be doing the HDD any good.

| Sat 14 May 2016 11:28:44 #33 |
  4. martip

Martin

Faust - 3 minutes ago  » 
    You haven't downloaded and used the recording app onto your phone or tablet at any point in the past have you?

If you are asking me Faust, then yes I have. But the factory default would have cleared that wouldn't it? (Didn't mention that I had done default in previous post)

| Sat 14 May 2016 11:28:47 #34 |
  5. martip

Martin

grahamlthompson - 1 minute ago  » 

Showed no recordings, as it has done on occasions before. Power cycled - no change. "storage" doesn't see the HD. Power cycled again, leaving box completely disconnected for several days. No change. Watching TV one evening, hit the pause button, which previously had no response obviously, and screen blanked! Waited a short time, hit return/exit button and back to programme ok. Go into recordings, all recordings now show! Attempt to play any recording and "unsupported file format" message appeared. OK, so then thought HD corrupt; nothing for it but to re-format. When this attempted error that HD cannot be formatted appeared. OK, so today thought I would enter the fray on here and wanted to get the error messages correct for this text - whaddya know, the damn thing worked OK, all recordings are back, and playable. TV would not pause though, so tried a brief record of the F1 practice 3, and after canceling that I can now pause!
    Over the months one thing I have noticed is the HD frequently spinning up for a short time and then winding down. I have seen in another thread that the HD has a MTBF which specify a max start up / wind down figure per year (or something like that) Now if this HD activity is happening many, many times a day (as it is) then could this be the issue?
    Loader is UKSFAA 1.08

The disk spins up every 20 minutes or so if you have paired the remote scheduling app. It's checking with the server to see if you have any changes to process. If you are at home I would unpair the app. As you say all the boot ups can't be doing the HDD any good.

Graham, would I need to also remove the "pair" within my Humax account? As I say the factory default has reproduced the option to pair the device. Strangely the default did not remove our recordings!!

OK, so I have now removed the device from my "myHumax.net" account

| Sat 14 May 2016 11:32:41 #35 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

martip - 5 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 minute ago  » 

Loader is UKSFAA 1.08

Graham, would I need to also remove the "pair" within my Humax account? As I say the factory default has reproduced the option to pair the device. Strangely the default did not remove our recordings!!
    OK, so I have now removed the device from my "myHumax.net" account

Correct. You may have to reboot the Humax before the periodic spin ups cease.

| Sat 14 May 2016 11:38:45 #36 |
  7. martip

Martin

Graham,
    Thank you for your responses.
    We shall see how things go now - I haven't dared re-boot the device yet though

| Sat 14 May 2016 11:49:10 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The schedule recording app has caused so many issues for people I'm surprised Freesat/Humax hasn't disabled it long since, at least to monitor if customers problems then go away.

| Sat 14 May 2016 15:05:27 #38 |
  9. grumpybrush

grumpybrush

Donator ££££

REPASSAC - 13 hours ago  » 
    The software has always allowed some control of the TV - The remotes supplied with the series of units changed some time ago to included TV control.
    The boot time seems very normal to me, your comparison with a PC with SSD is rather unfair. I bet you paid rather more for it than the Humax.

Yes maybe I am a tad harsh. Don't how much the SSD machine cost. 2nd hand freebie from my son to replace a failed Toshiba.
    It must be difficult to build low cost machines of this quality. I'd happily pay a bit more for the top end boxes if it improved reliability.

| Sat 14 May 2016 20:00:31 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Not sure what you mean by 'reliability'. Our 1000s has been used every day for the last two or three years without any real issues. Yes there is the odd occasion where it can fail to boot properly so it appears I then have no recordings which a quick power off will cure, but that's about it.

All computers can fail to boot from time to time. I think Humax/Freesat software engineers have caused more issues than the hardware ever has.

| Sat 14 May 2016 22:44:28 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.