My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Another Remote goes bad

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

furkin

As in title - yet another remote control gone tips up.
    I'm used to them turning 'Off' when pressing almost any button, but now, only about half the presses get anything at all.
    Yes - i've tried several new batteries and even my Lithiums.

Yes - the red light lights when the presses are successful, and obviously not when they arn't.

I've always been annoyed with this item, and the none service. I bought a brand new item, and ended up with a used - well used - one in return.
    On top of that, I've had 4 remotes so far and another now needed.

| Wed 17 Jul 2019 12:29:08 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

See Disassemble remote control to fix intermittent keys.

Take it to pieces and clean out all the accumulated greasy gunge. If necessary, add sticky-backed aluminium foil or conductive paint to the rubber keys.

It works a treat.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 9:39:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

I have the 5000T remote RM-L08 and it doesn't appear possible to split that one. Like the OP I had to buy another one which I got from remote-controls-shop.co.uk.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 11:45:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

A1944 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have the 5000T remote RM-L08 and it doesn't appear possible to split that one.

It will split - after all, it had to be assembled.

See How to clean a remote control and How to Fix & Clean Your Remote Control Buttons for hints on how to do it.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 14:15:38 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

JohnH77 - 7 hours ago  » 

A1944 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have the 5000T remote RM-L08 and it doesn't appear possible to split that one.

It will split - after all, it had to be assembled.
    See How to clean a remote control and How to Fix & Clean Your Remote Control Buttons for hints on how to do it.

In theory perhaps, but have you actually tried it with that one? I have done others in the past, but I just couldn't get enough purchase on that one to split it, the slot on the side was so shallow.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 22:18:12 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I don't have an RM-L08 to try.

If you attack it at a corner you should find you can lever the top up as the clips will be forced to open.

Or push a sharp knife (like a Stanley knife) horizontally into the small gap then lift the knife so the sharp edge catches the top of the wall of the base and springs it outwards as you lever against the top. Now repeat with a second sharp knife to spring the wall of the base further outwards. Repeat until you can slide a knife downwards and hold the wall far enough out that you can prise the top up enough to get the catch past its hole.

Warming the case may make it more flexible.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 23:14:31 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

If the new remote I have bought starts playing up I will bear your suggestions in mind.

The faulty one was disposed of some time ago after I failed to split it using very similar methods to your ideas.

| Mon 26 Aug 2019 7:54:43 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

You need a "spudger" tool available for a couple of quid on Ebay; used with care to split the two halves. It's easier if the remote is warm eg put on a sunny window ledge for 30mins.

| Tue 27 Aug 2019 22:17:09 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.