My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Are the tuners sensitive or just rubbish?

(34 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Watching Yesterday channel and signal strength is 82% and quality jumps between 40-80% and mostly the lower and is never constant. Lots of picture breakup. Switch to TVs own tuner which is being fed by the aura and signal strength is 90% and quality is 80%. Doesn’t fluctuate and no picture break up. Huh! I could pick many SD channels and have the same situation. Only the HD channels give me a decent picture.

| Tue 2 Feb 2021 23:38:05 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

boogersa - 11 hours ago  » 
    Watching Yesterday channel and signal strength is 82% and quality jumps between 40-80% and mostly the lower and is never constant. Lots of picture breakup. Switch to TVs own tuner which is being fed by the aura and signal strength is 90% and quality is 80%. Doesn’t fluctuate and no picture break up. Huh! I could pick many SD channels and have the same situation. Only the HD channels give me a decent picture.

there does seem to be a theme emerging of issues with SD channels. Barry, are Humax aware of the concern about this?

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 10:51:20 #2 |
  3. Mars

Mars

special member

Technically speaking, I think that the problem is with DVB-T muxes especially ARQ A and ARQ B with varying signal quality. The DVB-T2 muxes are rock solid for me (100% signal strength and 100% signal quality, with no need for a variable attenuator). There are a couple of SD channels on the DVB-T2 mux BBC B that are SD (65 TBN UK and 72 Shopping Quarter) and I have rock solid reception for both (but would never watch either!).

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 11:09:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Martin Liddle - 21 mins ago  » 

there does seem to be a theme emerging of issues with SD channels. Barry, are Humax aware of the concern about this?

Ok I think the Aura is sensitive to the signal strength it gets. But to give a balanced view, I’ve just checked this morning some of the SD channels which would have a lower quality of signal that I would expect and this morning they are high , e.g. 90% quality. Now my thoughts are that because I have some sort of signal booster/splitter in the loft (never looked at in 7 years!) and I am the only one watching tv just now so no sharing of the signal? In the evening, with more TVs on it has to share the signal? Is that how it works? Maybe I need a more powerful booster/splitter in the loft. But why are HD freeview channels ok and SD are the ones impacted?

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 11:19:07 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 

Only if members who think they have a problem have reported it to support, I have not as I have not witnessed similar.

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 12:48:08 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Yes, I have posted about this issue myself in the thread Aura 24 hrs in not looking good. Yesterday channel for me was borderline sound glitches and some picture tearing. Get our signal off Sutton Coldfield and as we are high up the signal is excellent. Both LG TVs plus Samsung TV and Panasonic PVR rock solid. Had exactly the same issue with BT Humax Youview box . Just waiting for the Aura to be swapped out (Friday) as it wouldn't maintain an Ethernet connection.

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 13:22:18 #6 |
  7. Mars

Mars

special member

Maybe we should try and establish if everyone who is having a problem with varying signal quality on SD channels (DVB-T muxes) is having problems with the same multiplexes. For me, the varying signal quality affects the ARQ A and B muxes (Dave, Yesterday, Sky News, etc). A full list of which channel is on which mux is here: https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/channel-listings-industry-professionals

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 13:24:29 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I was also experiencing problems with This is Birmingham on channel 36. Now I shouldn't really be able to receive this channel at all so we are talking right at the end of the range with ss and sq down even on our TVs. However, the TVs and Panasonic tune them in automatically whereas the Aura failed to find the channels and I had to do a manual tune which perhaps demonstrates the difference in tuners. COM7 national was also down but they are still operating on low power.

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 13:46:06 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Channel 36 should be QVC Style.
    I have never heard of This is Birmingham and can find no reference to it.

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 15:31:31 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Sutton_Coldfield

Broadcast channel / frequency 36, a local mux for local people

| Wed 3 Feb 2021 16:31:29 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.