My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Audio switching between different services

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

This might be "just me" in terms of the way our setup is configured, but humour me none-the-less!

The Aura is connected via HDMI to the Panasonic TV, and then HDMI from the TV to the soundbar. It is also connected via optical from Aura direct to the soundbar.

THis is because sometimes the TV appears to introduce sound delay (not all of the time, but often after switching between an IP channel and "normal" viewing). When the audio is coming directly from the Aura over optical the delay disappears.

That's not a huge problem for me; it's an old-ish TV and a cheap soundbar, so for the sake of pressing a button every now and again it works fine.

One mild annoyance though is when switching back (say) from Disney+ to Freeview the soundbar is triggered to return to the HDMI input, rather than just stay on the optical selection.

Is this just a peculiarity of the way I've got things configured?

| Tue 18 May 2021 14:00:01 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Got some questions/info from the programmer for you:

1. It will be helpful to know which app he is using. (Disney+, iPlayer, … )

2. As user is not in firmware group, I think it’s worth to try to change audio setup.

•Settings > Device Preferences > Sound > Select formats > None.

The change will make audio output as PCM, I think it may work for his case. As you know, new firmware will include easier settings of audio.

3. I’m curious about the symptom the user has. The audio is late when problem happens or the opposite.

| Tue 18 May 2021 16:09:45 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Just get rid of the hdmi between the TV and the soundbar.
    Just have Aura>TV hdmi then TV>soundbar optical.

| Tue 18 May 2021 16:22:40 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

SSThing - 17 hours ago  » 

A perfectly sensible suggestion - but the problem is then other devices through the TV don't route to the soundbar (e.g. xbox, Chromecast) and would have to use TV speakers only.

| Wed 19 May 2021 10:08:29 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

larkim - 55 secs ago  » 

A perfectly sensible suggestion - but the problem is then other devices through the TV don't route to the soundbar (e.g. xbox, Chromecast) and would have to use TV speakers only.

They should.
    The optical from the TV will be carrying the sound corresponding to whatever is on the screen, live TV/Humax/Xbox etc, it really does not matter. That's how it has worked on every TV/soundbar I have set up in the past.

| Wed 19 May 2021 10:13:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

And if yours doesn't, I would suggest looking in the TV settings (either sound or optical/spdif controls) and see if there is an option to passthrough ALL inputs.

| Wed 19 May 2021 10:17:39 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Barry - 17 hours ago  » 
    Got some questions/info from the programmer for you:
    1. It will be helpful to know which app he is using. (Disney+, iPlayer, … )
    2. As user is not in firmware group, I think it’s worth to try to change audio setup.
    •Settings > Device Preferences > Sound > Select formats > None.
    The change will make audio output as PCM, I think it may work for his case. As you know, new firmware will include easier settings of audio.
    3. I’m curious about the symptom the user has. The audio is late when problem happens or the opposite.

Thanks for playing this to the programmers Barry.

1 - I've not correlated any relation between any of the apps specifically, but I use primarily iPlayer, Disney+, Eurosport, All4 and the sideloaded NowTV. However, I have isolated this as being a TV problem, not an Aura problem so I'm not sure if the devs need / want to get into this.

2 - I'll check what sound settings I've selected; I think I'd previously selected a mode which ensured I was using PCM but I'll do as suggested above and report if that is different to what I already have established

3 - Symptom is audio delayed behind video when it happens. But as per answer to 1 I'm pretty confident that this is an issue introduced by the TV; whether the TV is prompted into it by the Aura I can't say, but I can say that if I use optical instead it immediately resolves the sync issue.

| Wed 19 May 2021 10:48:17 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

SSThing - 35 mins ago  » 

larkim - 55 secs ago  » 

They should.
    The optical from the TV will be carrying the sound corresponding to whatever is on the screen, live TV/Humax/Xbox etc, it really does not matter. That's how it has worked on every TV/soundbar I have set up in the past.

Surely not if the optical is directly connected between the Aura and the soundbar? The Aura would have no connection with the Xbox / Chromecast etc so surely it couldn't output those device's audio over the optical lead? I could route the aura's optical into the TV and see how that gets passed through through, so I'll look into that.

| Wed 19 May 2021 10:49:58 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

That's not what I said in post #3

Aura>TV hdmi (plus any other equipment)
    Tv>soundbar optical

| Wed 19 May 2021 10:52:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Also, based on what you said in your first post about the soundbar, I will hazard a guess that it is 2.1 maximum.
    So there is absolutely no advantage in having any of your devices set to output anything other than PCM.

| Wed 19 May 2021 11:02:27 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.