Audio switching between different services

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Or the other option (assuming your TV has hdmi-arc, is :-

All devices>TV hdmi
    TV>soundbar hdmi-arc.

In other words, no device needs to be connected to the soundbar twice.

| Wed 19 May 2021 13:18:48 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Aha, should have read more carefully.

I think I've avoided Aura > TV-HDMI, TV > Soundbar-Optical because that means I need to power up and power down the soundbar manually each time with a separate remote, but I will try again in case I was misunderstanding.

@barry - I'd previously selected "Stereo" only in the Freeview "Audio & Video" menu, but on checking the Android "Sound" menu I can see that DTS remained selected, so I've unselected that to see if that makes a difference. Having the settings in two different places creates a small amount of scope for confusion, but I suspect it's unavoidable.

| Wed 19 May 2021 15:31:38 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

As I mentioned previously, feeding anything into either your TV or your soundbar that is anything other than PCM (stereo) is pointless because it then means that either your TV or your soundbar then have to downmix the 5.1 into 2 channels,which takes time, milliseconds of course, but that's where lipsync issues can arise.

| Wed 19 May 2021 15:52:14 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Yep, I knew that about the Dolby / surround stuff. I hadn't intentionally left it on, just not spotted that there was a separate option outside of the "audio & video" option to select.

I've now plugged the optical cable directly between TV and soundbar and disconnected the hdmi arc from the soundbar. My only hesitation with this is that I lose the ability to adjust volume on the soundbar itself, and I worry that the standby behaviour of the soundbar may mean that sometimes the TV turns on without firing up the soundbar which will annoy others in the family!

Xbox 360 though will require volume intervention with the soundbar remote which will be irritating as it's a tiny remote, though in fairness buttons are in the soundbar too.

I probably should also have given time to see if the simple step of disabling that DTS toggle would actually cure the issue I had, but if optical works I can live with it.

Thanks for the interest in this though, it's been helpful!!

| Wed 19 May 2021 20:07:54 #14 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.