My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Audio sync on recordings

(52 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Most of the time both live TV and recordings are fine, but I've had a few recordings recently where the audio / video were quite badly out of sync (0.2-0.3s or so) which is very irritating. "Only Connect" was terrible this week with this.

I don't have a complicated audio setup, and I've never had similar sync issues on any other digibox or device playing through the TV.

Does anyone else have this experience / any suggested fixes?

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 15:56:46 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 8 mins ago  » 
    Most of the time both live TV and recordings are fine, but I've had a few recordings recently where the audio / video were quite badly out of sync (0.2-0.3s or so) which is very irritating. "Only Connect" was terrible this week with this.
    I don't have a complicated audio setup, and I've never had similar sync issues on any other digibox or device playing through the TV.
    Does anyone else have this experience / any suggested fixes?

Most likely reason for this is down to surround sound played back on a TV with limited support for Dolby Digital audio recorded on a HD channel . Set the aura to convert Dolby Digital to PCM stereo.

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 16:08:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Why would the aura present this issue when no other HD digibox that I've had before has presented the same issue? I appreciate the feedback, and I'll dig into the settings to test that out, just curious what is different about the aura compared to the EE-TV box technically which makes this an issue?

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 17:48:25 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 50 mins ago  » 
    Why would the aura present this issue when no other HD digibox that I've had before has presented the same issue? I appreciate the feedback, and I'll dig into the settings to test that out, just curious what is different about the aura compared to the EE-TV box technically which makes this an issue?

Are you sure you recorded HD content with 5.1 audio on the old box ? Most of this is DD 2.0 (stereo).

Have you still got a HD recording that has the issue ? If so simply try using PCM stereo.

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 18:40:43 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

I've not had any options on the previous boxes to consider what audio format is being recorded / played back. It was just "hit record"!

I'd deleted the Only Connect recording, but will try to track down another example.

I couldn't exactly see where I should be making changes to the Aura's settings though to get the audio correct, there didn't seem to be any mention of PCM anywhere. There were plenty of Dolby settings, but I will freely admit knowledge of audio formats is not my strong point!!

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 11:11:15 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've not had any options on the previous boxes to consider what audio format is being recorded / played back. It was just "hit record"!
    I'd deleted the Only Connect recording, but will try to track down another example.
    I couldn't exactly see where I should be making changes to the Aura's settings though to get the audio correct, there didn't seem to be any mention of PCM anywhere. There were plenty of Dolby settings, but I will freely admit knowledge of audio formats is not my strong point!!

Try FVP - Settings - (the cog icon). Scroll down to Sound. What do you see when you open sound.

Now open Channel and Broadcasting

What does Digital Audio say it's set to and What lip-synch delay do you have ? Default is 0 ms

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 12:33:57 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

That's set to 0ms. I've set the Sound to "none" I think so that all of the dolby options are switched off - I was half expecting to see one in there which was PCM, which was where I was coming from.

It's an infrequent problem though, I wonder whether it only affects recordings. I'll play some more, plenty of time over Christmas for some fiddling!

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 13:27:37 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 1 min ago  » 
    That's set to 0ms. I've set the Sound to "none" I think so that all of the dolby options are switched off - I was half expecting to see one in there which was PCM, which was where I was coming from.
    It's an infrequent problem though, I wonder whether it only affects recordings. I'll play some more, plenty of time over Christmas for some fiddling!

PCM is labelled stereo instead of surround which is the default setting if I remember correctly. The broadcast audio stream has a built in delay so you may need to add a delay of around 20-40 ms

Delay relative to video : -1 s 156 ms 1156 ms

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 13:29:38 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 5 mins ago  » 

larkim - 1 min ago  » 

PCM is labelled stereo instead of surround which is the default setting if I remember correctly. The broadcast audio stream has a built in delay so you may need to add a delay of around 20-40 ms
    Delay relative to video : -1 s 156 ms 1156 ms

Audio decoding is much faster than video. It will vary according to what box is decoding the video and audio

The delay you were quoting was massive.

I normally set the required delay on my AVR as I never use the TV speakers. I have a Dolby Atmos speaker set up.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 13:39:05 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

I've got the Aura into the TV via HDMI and then the TV into a soundbar via HDMI so soundbar does the audio, but it's nothing fancy. Pretty simple stuff, though what I should have checked on the recording was if the same delayed audio came when just using the TV speakers. Odd that it is inconsistent though.

I've also noticed some delay (maybe 0.1s) when casting NowTV to the Aura's chromecast, whereas if I cast to a standard Chromecast plugged into the TV I don't get the same delay. No idea if that's common to everyone's experience chromecasting NowTV on the aura though.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 13:50:10 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.