My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Audio sync on recordings

(52 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Now TV cast to Aura chromecast required about 40 ms. My better half is very sensitive to lip synch.

I now have Now TV on my firestick so may need a slightly different number.

Loose women on ITV=HD is showing some old footage and the lip sync is way out. Live needed around 40 ms on my AVR.

You can tell if you tune to a HD channel and box remote volume control works you have PCM stereo. If still Dolby Digital the box volume has no effect.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 14:07:11 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Box control of audio is always on for me, never had a time when the slider across the bottom wasn't appearing when I used the volume buttons.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 14:30:18 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 26 mins ago  » 
    Box control of audio is always on for me, never had a time when the slider across the bottom wasn't appearing when I used the volume buttons.

It is not possible to control the volume on the box when tuned to a HD channel and the output set to surround. The AAC audio volume can only be normally varied after decoding to analogue audio.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 14:58:47 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lefteris

Happy New Year everyone ! Got the Aura just before Xmas and been setting it up and organising things. Main problem I have come across is the audio sync on recordings. I've tried just about everything, but there is still a significant delay between video and audio. The TV is a Sony Bravia (5 years old) and I do use a sound bar to improve the quality. I didn't have any problems with my previous Fox-HDR nor an FV5000 I replaced that with. It is worse with recordings played using Kodi from my NAS drive. Is this a widespread problem that hopefully will get fixed or am I missing something ? Help appreciated

| Fri 1 Jan 2021 17:24:27 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Lefteris - 52 mins ago  » 
    Happy New Year everyone ! Got the Aura just before Xmas and been setting it up and organising things. Main problem I have come across is the audio sync on recordings. I've tried just about everything, but there is still a significant delay between video and audio. The TV is a Sony Bravia (5 years old) and I do use a sound bar to improve the quality. I didn't have any problems with my previous Fox-HDR nor an FV5000 I replaced that with. It is worse with recordings played using Kodi from my NAS drive. Is this a widespread problem that hopefully will get fixed or am I missing something ? Help appreciated

I don't use a TV for audio. I have a Denon-AVR with a full set of surround speakers. The amp has a audio delay of 17ms. And the lip synch is fine on recordings and live TV. The aura has it's own setting option for audio delay Try around 20ms mine is set to 0 because the amp is delaying the audio. The broadcasts have a built in delay of about 1000ms.

As recordings are a bit for bit exact copy of the live broadcast there should be zero difference between the same content viewed live and watched from a recording.

| Fri 1 Jan 2021 18:21:46 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

There is only one possible way that a recorded programme can have a different outcome from Live TV. And that's when viewing a recording you are replaying a different audio track to that you are using when viewing Live TV.

A digital broadcast is contained within a container. Eg SD TV uses a .ts transport stream container. Within this container there can be multiple audio and subtitle streams. Because it's a digital data stream when you record it the whole data is recorded as is to file on the hard disk. A tuner is required to extract the required data to send it to the hard disk. Watching live the tuner passes the stream to the box audio and video decoders.

Replaying a recording needs no tuner because the data is passed directly to the box video and audio decoding circuits and output from HDMI and any other digital outputs like a toslink socket. So exactly the same data as when it was live is available.

So any large difference has to be down to how you are delivering the audio to the only analogue transducers in the system ( That's the loudspeakers that turn analogue audio into the sound you can hear ?

Such large errors have to be down to multiple encoding and decoding in series.

Perhaps to a TV and exported back to a AVR using ARC. I do not have an issue because in both cases the output is to a hdmi port on my AV receiver, which does the required audio decoding and sends the audio to my speakers.

Recordings made on my Aura from HD TV (I never record SD - with a big 4K OLED the quality hit is immediately clear). Replayed recordings look exactly the same as the live broadcast which as it's the same data it must be the same.

| Fri 1 Jan 2021 23:09:32 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I will try recording a short video clip of a recording playing back from a HD recording and upload it to a file share site. VLC should play it back OK.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 14:27:56 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

20 second clip from BBC1-HD with someone talking.

https://www.adrive.com/public/x2WJ2v/HDRecording_LipSynch.mp4

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 15:25:24 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lefteris

Hi Graham - thanks for your info and the clip - unfortunately, the URL for the clip takes me to A-Plan with the message that this is no longer publicly available. Is there something I can do to get at it, or would it be better to email it to me ? Thanks

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 15:44:24 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lefteris

Re the Aura problem, I have reset the box in case I screwed up a setting along the way, and am going through some recording then testing - will let you know the outcomes - Thanks again

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 15:45:59 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.