My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura 24 hrs in - not looking good

(33 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Got my new Aura yesterday and while initial impressions were positive, 24 hrs in and things have changed dramatically.

Firstly, the Aura cannot maintain an Ethernet connection. In settings it shows Ethernet connected but the reality is it isn't. Messages keep popping up warning me the Aura isn't connected to the Internet. The connection is as follows - Aura to TP-Link unmanaged switch which in turn is plugged into dedicated hard wired Cat 6 Jack data point. Four other device using same switch, all working seamlessly. I could connect the Aura to the Mesh WiFi which does work but would prefer to use Ethernet and which does't answer the problem of why it's not working.

Secondly "weak tuners". Looking at the weakest frequency UHF 36 (594000 kHz). Signal test on two LG TVs and a Samsung show signal strength 42% signal quality 90%. The tuner on the Aura same channel, signal strength 22% signal quality 43%. I also noticed a couple of sound glitches and picture tearing while watching Yesterday channel. Flicked over to LG and Yesterday was rock solid. The aerial and cabling is only a few years old - wideband log periodic with mast head splitter serving three TVs. Transmitter is Sutton Coldfield which provides very good reception. I have tried feeding the Aura and TV their own feed using a splitter and used the Aura's passthrough. Results are near identical. I suspect that come spring and summer when the weather improves i.e. more high pressure the Aura will lose channels.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 11:34:31 #1 |
  2. Mars

Mars

special member

Presumably, there was a firmware update when you setup the Aura, but have you restarted it since as it often helps after an update? A decent aerial should give signal quality of 100% not

signal strength 42% signal quality 90%
    so your problem is your aerial.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 13:12:01 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mine is fed from a log30 in the loft aligned on Lark stoke. I can't get SC due to trees. I had to attenuate to a bit less than 90% signal. The Aura tuners are easily overloaded.

Whats the date of the software update? Freeview play Preference. - System Information.

All my kit is connected to 16 way network switch using a 300MBps pair of home plugs to connect the WIFI router network switch.

Incidentally the aura rf loop through even works with no power on the box. So still works when box is in full 0.5W sby.

Rock solid internet connection.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 13:24:00 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Is the mast head externally powered up one of the coax downleads using a mains PSU ?

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 13:49:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Mars - 1 hour ago  » 
    Presumably, there was a firmware update when you setup the Aura, but have you restarted it since as it often helps after an update? A decent aerial should give signal quality of 100% not

signal strength 42% signal quality 90%
    so your problem is your aerial.

Not the aerial at all. That particular frequency I should not be abe to receive as it's Birmingingam local TV. It's only because the aerial is so good and such good reception where we live that I can receive it. I chose that frequency to demonstrate the issue. The other muxes are all around 85/90 SS 100% SQ. Again though those values drop for the Aura.

Firmware update yes, fully locked and loaded. Oh, and before you suggest it, I have tried an attenuator, dialed the signal down slightly and it made everything worse.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 14:25:10 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 35 mins ago  » 
    Is the mast head externally powered up one of the coax downleads using a mains PSU ?

No Graham, passive. An interesting further development - I have plugged the Ethernet from the Aura directly into the Cat 6 Jack and it connected straightaway. That is particularly bizzare as that switch happily served three other Humax devices, the HDR 1000s, the 2000T and the BT Humax Youview box. Given it's an unmanaged switch the Aura should simply connect. On the WiFi front the connection is quite amazing with a dBm value of -33 over 5Ghz. That's a near perfect WiFi connection, certainly the best I've seen on my network.

I think there's just something about Humax tuners. The Humax Youview box was the same. In good weather it would regularly drop COM 7 & 8 whereas the TVs tuners still retained the signal. Our Panasonic PVR never ever drops a signal no matter how good the weather is.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 14:33:08 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB1

My Aura is connected to ethernet and rock solid.

I was setting up another Aura for my parents and did notice that after initially being on WIFI and then plugging in Ethernet, it was struggling.

Not sure if there is a way to forget any WIFI networks it has connected to previously or if only option is to do factory reset on Aura and setup again using ethernet from the start.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 15:11:13 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

MattB1 - 11 mins ago  » 
    My Aura is connected to ethernet and rock solid.
    I was setting up another Aura for my parents and did notice that after initially being on WIFI and then plugging in Ethernet, it was struggling.
    Not sure if there is a way to forget any WIFI networks it has connected to previously or if only option is to do factory reset on Aura and setup again using ethernet from the start.

Are you using a network switch? BTW I was using Ethernet from the start. Read my previous post to Graham for an update on the issue.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 15:23:30 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Whats the date of the software update? Freeview play Preference. - System Information.

Firmware 9.14 14th January. Since connecting the Aura by Ethernet directly into the Cat 6 Jack the connection has remained rock solid. Just plugged it back into the network switch and the connection fails immediately. This is barmy the swith is TP-Link TL-SG105. Even stranger is the green network light on the port is flashing away indicating a connection?

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 15:39:08 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.