1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 mins ago  » 
    I can recommend one of these.
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-Optima-Aerial-Masthead-Amplifier/dp/B00LGWN84Q&tag=blusas008-21

If I used one of those I would have to dial everything down as all my other TVs and PVR get an otimal signal on all muxes. The problem as always are the Humax tuners. All my Humax PVRs have suffered with the same problem. If I could post a picture I could show you 4 of those same Homeplugs back in their boxes retired. I had our house cabled with Cat 6 Jacks in every room last year.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 15:44:44 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 min ago  » 

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-Optima-Aerial-Masthead-Amplifier/dp/B00LGWN84Q/?tag=blusas008-21

/?tag=blusas008-21

If I used one of those I would have to dial everything down as all my other TVs and PVR get an otimal signal on all muxes. The problem as always are the Humax tuners. All my Humax PVRs have suffered with the same problem.

The gain is adjustable. Variable signal attenuators at the TV ends are cheap enough.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 15:46:57 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 mins ago  » 

Faust - 1 min ago  » 

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-Optima-Aerial-Masthead-Amplifier/dp/B00LGWN84Q/?tag=blusas008-21

/?tag=blusas008-21

If I used one of those I would have to dial everything down as all my other TVs and PVR get an otimal signal on all muxes. The problem as always are the Humax tuners. All my Humax PVRs have suffered with the same problem.

The gain is adjustable. Variable signal attenuators at the TV ends are cheap enough.

You shouldn't need to resort to these measure Graham simply because Humax can't make a decent tuner. I can see from reading posts online I'm not the only one complaining about the weak signal with the Aura either. How do you explain the Ethernet network switch issue as well? If I can't get to the bottom of this then it will be getting boxed up and returned.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 15:53:25 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 2 mins ago  » 
    You shouldn't need to resort to these measure Graham simply because Humax can't make a decent tuner. I can see from reading posts online I'm not the only one complaining about the weak signal with the Aura either.

But equally there are as many people complaining the tuners are too sensitive as there are complaining they are too weak. There is something odd going on that I don't think we fully understand yet and as I don't have an Aura I can't experiment.

How do you explain the Ethernet network switch issue as well?

That is odd; I take it you have tried a different network cable?

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 15:58:42 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Martin Liddle - 4 mins ago  » 

Faust - 2 mins ago  » 
    You shouldn't need to resort to these measure Graham simply because Humax can't make a decent tuner. I can see from reading posts online I'm not the only one complaining about the weak signal with the Aura either.

But equally there are as many people complaining the tuners are too sensitive as there are complaining they are too weak. There is something odd going on that I don't think we fully understand yet and as I don't have an Aura I can't experiment.

How do you explain the Ethernet network switch issue as well?

That is odd; I take it you have tried a different network cable?

Tried three different cables Martin, all made no difference.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 16:04:22 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

This is what I've been able to glean so far re: network connection. If I remove the Ethernet patch lead from the Aura (not the network switch) then it will reconnect to the network via the switch when plugged back in. It doesn't matter which port I use either. Waggling the Ethernet cable at the Aura Ethernet port makes no difference, it stays connected, so not a loose connection issue.

However I can almost guarantee that once the Aura is switched off (normal or low power standby) when the Aura is restarted it then fails to reconnect to the network. Now why that should be I have no idea?

Regarding the tuner issue. On the good muxes, which is the majority the SS/SQ isn't an issue. However, take National COM7 as an example The LG is currently showing 60% SS with 90% SQ whereas the Aura is on 45% SS with 75% SQ. That's fine for today but come summer is where that shortfall will result in no signal off Channel 55.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 16:37:32 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 55 mins ago  » 
    This is what I've been able to glean so far re: network connection. If I remove the Ethernet patch lead from the Aura (not the network switch) then it will reconnect to the network via the switch when plugged back in. It doesn't matter which port I use either. Waggling the Ethernet cable at the Aura Ethernet port makes no difference, it stays connected, so not a loose connection issue.
    However I can almost guarantee that once the Aura is switched off (normal or low power standby) when the Aura is restarted it then fails to reconnect to the network. Now why that should be I have no idea?
    Regarding the tuner issue. On the good muxes, which is the majority the SS/SQ isn't an issue. However, take National COM7 as an example The LG is currently showing 60% SS with 90% SQ whereas the Aura is on 45% SS with 75% SQ. That's fine for today but come summer is where that shortfall will result in no signal off Channel 55.

You cannot compare signal strength readings on different Kit. Unlike quality there is no fixed definition. It might say 6o% on one piece of kit but without a definition basically 60% of what.

Sky-HD boxes measure much lower signal strength than the Foxsat-HDR does using the same lnb.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 17:37:15 #18 |
  9. Trev

Trev

special member

comparing one sets S/Q reading with a different one is pretty pointless as each will have its own interpretation of what 100% (S or Q) is.

Crossed with GLT. But perhaps you get the idea.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 17:40:27 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Trev - 5 mins ago  » 
    comparing one sets S/Q reading with a different one is pretty pointless as each will have its own interpretation of what 100% (S or Q) is.
    Crossed with GLT. But perhaps you get the idea.

quality should be fairly similar. It's a measure of the BER (Bit Error rate).

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 17:47:14 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.