My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura 24 hrs in - not looking good

(33 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 
    However I can almost guarantee that once the Aura is switched off (normal or low power standby) when the Aura is restarted it then fails to reconnect to the network. Now why that should be I have no idea?

That sounds as though DHCP is failing. Is it possible to set fixed IP configuration on the Aura?

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 19:17:43 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 55 mins ago  » 
    This is what I've been able to glean so far re: network connection. If I remove the Ethernet patch lead from the Aura (not the network switch) then it will reconnect to the network via the switch when plugged back in. It doesn't matter which port I use either. Waggling the Ethernet cable at the Aura Ethernet port makes no difference, it stays connected, so not a loose connection issue.
    However I can almost guarantee that once the Aura is switched off (normal or low power standby) when the Aura is restarted it then fails to reconnect to the network. Now why that should be I have no idea?
    Regarding the tuner issue. On the good muxes, which is the majority the SS/SQ isn't an issue. However, take National COM7 as an example The LG is currently showing 60% SS with 90% SQ whereas the Aura is on 45% SS with 75% SQ. That's fine for today but come summer is where that shortfall will result in no signal off Channel 55.

You cannot compare signal strength readings on different Kit. Unlike quality there is no fixed definition. It might say 6o% on one piece of kit but without a definition basically 60% of what.
    Sky-HD boxes measure much lower signal strength than the Foxsat-HDR does using the same lnb.

You are correct in what you say Graham but it's more significant than that. My experience with the other Humax boxes last few summers which produce near identical readings as the Aura is they regularly lost those weaker frequencies whereas the LG Freeview did not. Those are real world results.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 19:25:35 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 46 mins ago  » 

Faust - 55 mins ago  » 
    This is what I've been able to glean so far re: network connection. If I remove the Ethernet patch lead from the Aura (not the network switch) then it will reconnect to the network via the switch when plugged back in. It doesn't matter which port I use either. Waggling the Ethernet cable at the Aura Ethernet port makes no difference, it stays connected, so not a loose connection issue.
    Regarding the tuner issue. On the good muxes, which is the majority the SS/SQ isn't an issue. However, take National COM7 as an example The LG is currently showing 60% SS with 90% SQ whereas the Aura is on 45% SS with 75% SQ. That's fine for today but come summer is where that shortfall will result in no signal off Channel 55.

You cannot compare signal strength readings on different Kit. Unlike quality there is no fixed definition. It might say 6o% on one piece of kit but without a definition basically 60% of what.
    Sky-HD boxes measure much lower signal strength than the Foxsat-HDR does using the same lnb.

You are correct in what you say Graham but it's more significant than that. My experience with the other Humax boxes last few summers which produce near identical readings as the Aura is they regularly lost those weaker frequencies whereas the LG Freeview did not. Those are real world results.

No issues with my 5000T on the same aerial throughout last summer though I did have to change a failed masthead amp in the loft.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 20:13:04 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

Faust - 46 mins ago  » 

Faust - 55 mins ago  » 

No issues with my 5000T on the same aerial throughout last summer though I did have to change a failed masthead amp in the loft.

Nope, had no issues with the Panasonic recorder either throughout summer and that's off the same aerial, just the Humax.

| Sun 31 Jan 2021 23:46:13 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB1

Faust - 8 hours ago  » 

MattB1 - 11 mins ago  » 
    My Aura is connected to ethernet and rock solid.
    I was setting up another Aura for my parents and did notice that after initially being on WIFI and then plugging in Ethernet, it was struggling.
    Not sure if there is a way to forget any WIFI networks it has connected to previously or if only option is to do factory reset on Aura and setup again using ethernet from the start.

Are you using a network switch? BTW I was using Ethernet from the start. Read my previous post to Graham for an update on the issue.

I have a BT Hub 6, connected to a D-Link DGS-105/B 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch, with the Aura going into the D-link. Sounds similar to your setup, but just a different switch.

| Mon 1 Feb 2021 0:26:34 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Quick update..... since plugging the Aura back into the network switch yesterday afternoon the connection has remained rock solid. What's changed - as far as I can see absolutley nothing, so I'm flumaxed. One caveat.... when I go into settings Network/Internet it states "not connected" though it clearly is. Previously Network/Internet stated "connected" when it wasn't - anyone care to explain that one?

That just leaves the tuners which I can't do anything about. Why Humax can't increase the gain on their tuners by just a few percentage points is beyond me. It would make all the difference to a weak station. It's easier to dial a tuner down than one that's not quite strong enough. Perhaps when COM7 increases power it won't be an issue, or will that frequency go to the mobile operators?

| Mon 1 Feb 2021 11:03:55 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 2 mins ago  » 
    Quick update..... since plugging the Aura back into the network switch yesterday afternoon the connection has remained rock solid. What's changed - as far as I can see absolutley nothing, so I'm flumaxed. One caveat.... when I go into settings Network/Internet it states "not connected" though it clearly is. Previously Network/Internet stated "connected" when it wasn't - anyone care to explain that one?
    That just leaves the tuners which I can't do anything about. Why Humax can't increase the gain on their tuners by just a few percentage points is beyond me. It would make all the difference to a weak station. It's easier to dial a tuner down than one that's not quite strong enough. Perhaps when COM7 increases power it won't be an issue, or will that frequency go to the mobile operators?

Moving all COM 7 transmitters to SFN working will make it a lot harder for many to get reliable reception.

| Mon 1 Feb 2021 11:09:57 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Any idea on the connection scenario I have posted this morning Graham? It's really an odd one.

| Mon 1 Feb 2021 11:33:05 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 min ago  » 
    Any idea on the connection scenario I have posted this morning Graham? It's really an odd one.

I would turn off WiFi while using a Wired Connection.

Settings Network and Internet,

| Mon 1 Feb 2021 11:38:58 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 min ago  » 

I would turn off WiFi while using a Wired Connection.
    Settings Network and Internet,

It's already off Graham. I only activated WiFi when I couldn't connect via Ethernet. I have also cleared all reference to the Aura from my mesh system. TBH I would reset the Aura but for all the faff of entering email addresses, passwords or codes for all the apps.

| Mon 1 Feb 2021 13:44:19 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.