My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Beta software dated 17.03.21

(62 posts)
  1. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Barry - 1 hour ago  » 
    How long did you wait for unit to boot?
    It takes some time to come out of deep standby.
    (I'll put a stopwatch on mine in a mo and edit this post)
    Edit: It appears to have speeded up since the last time I checked
    2 x tests - Just over a minute from pressing standby button to audio/video.

I've never understood why PVR's take so long to boot up. My old Humax Foxsat HDR takes 30 seconds from standby, my Android-based Sony TV takes less than 5 seconds, a Windows 10 laptop less than 15 seconds, but two Android tablets each take around 20 seconds. Surely, with modern processors, boot up should be faster?

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 10:51:49 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Geoff_W - 9 mins ago  » 
    Surely, with modern processors, boot up should be faster?

I think the issue is that the processors in a PVR have just enough performance for the heaviest workload and most of the compute intensive work such as decoding is done in hardware. Hence the processor itself will only have a small fraction of the performance of the CPU in your laptop.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 11:04:29 #32 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_W - 1 hour ago  » 

Barry - 1 hour ago  » 
    How long did you wait for unit to boot?
    It takes some time to come out of deep standby.
    (I'll put a stopwatch on mine in a mo and edit this post)
    Edit: It appears to have speeded up since the last time I checked
    2 x tests - Just over a minute from pressing standby button to audio/video.

I've never understood why PVR's take so long to boot up. My old Humax Foxsat HDR takes 30 seconds from standby, my Android-based Sony TV takes less than 5 seconds, a Windows 10 laptop less than 15 seconds, but two Android tablets each take around 20 seconds. Surely, with modern processors, boot up should be faster?

Your laptop must have a SSD boot drive. A 2TB one would cost near as much as the Aura itself and would not increase the performance at all. Only advantage would be a totally silent drive.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 12:01:53 #33 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I'll repeat this.

Only post in this thread if you are partaking in testing.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 12:28:02 #34 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Mars - 3 hours ago  » 
    Last night the Aura was in deep standby (using the new option), but this morning when I switched it on there was a blank screen. Switching it off (standby using the remote) and on again made no difference so I had to unplug and it is back to normal. There was a recording during deep standby (5:30-6:00) but that worked fine.

Mars

Request from dev team:

What is the exact problem - black screen without GUI (no home screen for example),
    Or with graphics but no Video & Audio in live channel.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 12:52:29 #35 |
  6. Mars

Mars

special member

Barry - 1 hour ago  » 

Mars - 3 hours ago  » 
    Last night the Aura was in deep standby (using the new option), but this morning when I switched it on there was a blank screen. Switching it off (standby using the remote) and on again made no difference so I had to unplug and it is back to normal. There was a recording during deep standby (5:30-6:00) but that worked fine.

Mars
    Request from dev team:
    What is the exact problem - black screen without GUI (no home screen for example),
    Or with graphics but no Video & Audio in live channel.

The screen, presumably it should have been the home screen, was blank with no GUI (I have PIP switched off). I could put the Aura into standby using the remote, but the screen was still blank when switched on so I put it back in standby then removed the power. Before switching the Aura on, I had checked that it was connected in the app and accessed the DLNA server from a Samsung TV, but could not play a recording (but this is a common problem playing recordings on my Samsung TVs). Therefore, it was not in deep standby when I switched it on. I will continue using deep standby overnight and see what happens.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 13:56:39 #36 |
  7. Fixdit

Fixdit

I seem to have difficaulty installing updates. I go to the home screen after checking that there are no
    recordings taking place or scheduled to take place in the next 30mins, click on updates available, update
    screen very quickly appears then disappears. then nothing. Repeated after soft restart same thing, tried restart third time on starting the white circle appeared twice then it installed the update.

Tried the deep standby over night seemed to work ok, recorded programs ok. On soft start up, video played
    showing 1280 x 720 resolution, screen blacked out very quickly then reappeared showing 1920 x 1080.
    Would this be because I have resolution set to auto?

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 14:09:53 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

swilliams

Apologies if this is obvious, but what is "zapping order"?

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 17:36:03 #38 |
  9. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

swilliams - 1 min ago  » 
    Apologies if this is obvious, but what is "zapping order"?

It's the order the channels are in when you flick up and down the channel list using the CH up and down buttons

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 17:37:46 #39 |
  10. Mars

Mars

special member

Regarding DLNA, today (19th March) I noticed that my Samsung TVs showed the date of today's recording of Morse as the 20th March then checking further it seems that all recordings in the mornings have the correct date but recordings in the afternoons or evenings have the next day's date. It seems that the default date/time of recordings (wherever they come from) have the wrong time zone (possibly the Korean time zone). This is only a problem with my Samsung TVs (a 2014 model) that only shows the dates of recordings whereas my Panasonic FVP recorder (used as a DLNA client) and my Sony BluRay player show the correct date and time. This is further evidence that the DLNA client of my Samsung TVs is very poor (it never even showed the DLNA server of my Panasonic FVP recorder). I wonder if newer Samsung TVs have better DLNA clients.

| Fri 19 Mar 2021 19:23:20 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.