My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura blank screen from deep sleep

(31 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

I had this happen to me on Sunday morning after being in normal standby over night.

| Mon 22 Feb 2021 12:10:44 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

phlppip - 25 mins ago  » 
    I had this happen to me on Sunday morning after being in normal standby over night.

It does make you wonder if there is a latent bug in the latest firmware update. TBH just clutching at straws.

| Mon 22 Feb 2021 12:37:36 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 11 mins ago  » 

phlppip - 25 mins ago  » 

It does make you wonder if there is a latent bug in the latest firmware update. TBH just clutching at straws.

If there is it certainly cannot be replicated using my box.

Can only suggest that those affected look for a possible common factor.

eg

ISP and router used. Transmitter used. How box is connected to your router.

I traced a fault on my setup by running a temporary cat 7 cable out of the lounge window up and in the study window to the network switch on the Nighthawk router that provides WiFI coverage. I turned off the aura and ran this way for several days while waiting for a replacement pair of Home Plugs. The same fault also stopped my Foxsat-HD and TV using a wired connection. All worked fine with the wired link.

After replacing the two and pairing them the wired link was removed. It's not had any further issues since then. It boots from full sby every morning. I put it in long push sby every night and confirm it's in full sby every morning that there is no 5V power out from the rear Usb ports.

| Mon 22 Feb 2021 12:59:22 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Right Graham so tried these scenarios thus far over last few days.
    1. Aura initially connected via Ethernet to TP-Link 5 port unmanaged switch which in turn is connected to professionally installed Cat 6 Jacks. This terminates in Home Office upstairs via Cat 6 Jack with Ethernet cable into BT Smarthub. Used different Ethernet cables. Even tried plugging Ethernet cable into Apple Airport 1 Gigabit LAN port instead of directly into HomeHub. Connection fails overnight.

2. Bypassed unmanaged network switch and plugged directly into Cat 6 Jack - result - failed Ethernet connection overnight.

3. Brought out of retirement TP-Link power line adapters (same type as yours I think Graham). This bypassed everything - result - failed Ethernet connection overnight.

This is the odd bit - If I go into BT Homehub UI then it shows the Aura as being connected. Logs reveal nothing too. However, if I then either put the Aura into "Deep Sleep" or switch off at plug, when the Aura reboots the Aura states no Ethernet connection and the BT Homehub now shows "not connected". It's as though either the Aura or Homehub has developed amnesia.

Never come across anything like this before with Ethernet. Any ideas?

| Mon 22 Feb 2021 15:23:23 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 32 mins ago  » 
    1. Aura initially connected via Ethernet to TP-Link 5 port unmanaged switch which in turn is connected to professionally installed Cat 6 Jacks. This terminates in Home Office upstairs via Cat 6 Jack with Ethernet cable into BT Smarthub. Used different Ethernet cables. Even tried plugging Ethernet cable into Apple Airport 1 Gigabit LAN port instead of directly into HomeHub. Connection fails overnight.
    2. Bypassed unmanaged network switch and plugged directly into Cat 6 Jack - result - failed Ethernet connection overnight.
    3. Brought out of retirement TP-Link power line adapters (same type as yours I think Graham). This bypassed everything - result - failed Ethernet connection overnight.
    This is the odd bit - If I go into BT Homehub UI then it shows the Aura as being connected. Logs reveal nothing too. However, if I then either put the Aura into "Deep Sleep" or switch off at plug, when the Aura reboots the Aura states no Ethernet connection and the BT Homehub now shows "not connected". It's as though either the Aura or Homehub has developed amnesia.

Guessing the pair of homeplugs have lost the pairing. press the pair button on the router end plug for 1 second. Nip down to the aura one and press the pair button once for a second. After a short period both should show three green leds. I only had to do this once. Thereafter it has connected OK from a full sby boot everytime.

| Mon 22 Feb 2021 16:02:01 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 9 mins ago  » 

Faust - 32 mins ago  » 

Guessing the pair of homeplugs have lost the pairing. press the pair button on the router end plug for 1 second. Nip down to the aura one and press the pair button once for a second. After a short period both should show three green leds. I only had to do this once. Thereafter it has connected OK from a full sby boot everytime.

Nope, TP-Homeplugs working 100%. None of this is logical. BT log shows request for connection this morning when I switched on the Aura followed by "connected" but it clearly wasn't. WiFi fingers crossed appears to be working okay.

| Mon 22 Feb 2021 16:15:54 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Finally, I have solved it. The culprit is the TP-Link unmanaged switch. Why the Aura doesn't like it I can't explain as it's simply a network switch. I decided to try one last time connecting the Aura direct into the Cat 6 Jack. When doing so I noticed that the Ethernet lead was quite a tight fit and hadn't fully clicked home. I suspect this is what happened previously and trying it again in the Homeplug noticed that again the Ethernet lead wasn't fully locked. I changed the Humax lead for another which clicked home immediatley and the Ethernet connected straight away. It doesn't matter what lead I use in the network switch though as it still refuses to keep a connection. This though leaves me with a quandry as I don't want to go back to using Homeplugs with all the extra connections, so I think WiFi is going to be the way forward. I did try using alternative ports on the network switch but this made no difference. Still at least I have saved on the cost of buying another router.

| Mon 22 Feb 2021 17:27:40 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Are you going to put the box in long push sby overnight. If so interested to know if your box boots up OK to live TV tomorrow morning.

| Mon 22 Feb 2021 19:29:29 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 5 mins ago  » 
    Are you going to put the box in long push sby overnight. If so interested to know if your box boots up OK to live TV tomorrow morning.

I am indeed Graham, as I should test it in the least powered state. Network switch is a real puzzle though isn’t it. I could understand if it was a managed switch as they can be very picky but a switch is just that.

| Mon 22 Feb 2021 19:37:51 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 min ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 5 mins ago  » 

I am indeed Graham, as I should test it in the least powered state. Network switch is a real puzzle though isn’t it. I could understand if it was a managed switch as they can be very picky but a switch is just that.

I used to have cat5 cable from a socket I wired to the study which failed so that was when I used the home plug pair which have worked well for at least 5 yrs until it went kaput. My 1 gigabit switch is unmanaged and this worked instantly when I used the long temp cable.

Looking as if we may have a new software soon. Reference Barrie's call for beta test volunteers.

| Mon 22 Feb 2021 19:43:43 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.