My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Ethernet connection left me totally confused

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

MattB1 - 2 hours ago  » 

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 
    No, I have a BT smart hub which now has WiFi disabled because I'm using BT WholeHome Wifi Mesh disks which replaces the HH WiFi and provides far superior WiFi to all parts of my property. The Mesh WiFi comprises three disks (you can add more) one of the disks becomes the "master disk" (the one connected to the router) and also becomes your router for WiFi traffic. The other disks (strategically placed in other rooms) mesh with the main disk and as you move around the property seamlessly hand off your devices e.g. smartphone from one disk to another. That way you always get the maximum signal.

With this setup, does the BT Wholehome Wifi provide it's only internal DHCP and subnet to anything that connects to the new Wifi?
    I had a TP-LINK Deco M4 Whole Home WiFi System, which I did some testing with. With this I found it used it's own DHCP and subnets. This meant that anything connected on the Tp-Link mesh network couldn't see anything connected on the Ethernet network. So when I had the Aura connected to the ethernet port and my mobile phone connected to the TP-Link mesh network, then the Aura app wouldn't work, as it couldn't see the Aura.
    Could it be a clash of IP addresses somewhere? The DHCP on the BT Home hub and the BT WholeHome Wifi are trying to use the same range?

I don’t really know what the issue is but I can confirm that the Aura over mesh WiFi has a different IP address to that of the Aura using Ethernet though only by one digit.

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 20:56:18 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

That does sound like a DHCP issue; you shouldn't have DHCP on the Home Hub AND the Whole Home wifi, it should be on one or the other only.

I've not got anything connected via ethernet, but I've also got a mesh wifi network (Deco M4, using a Huawei fibre modem). I've got other routers connected to the mesh but all have to have their DHCP servers disabled to allow the M4's "master" unit to act as the router.

I may be wrong, but in terms of the server which is dishing out DHCP addresses I believe it is correct that for a single network there should be only a single DHCP server, which would result in all devices being allocated IP addresses within the same network.

It sounds to me in the BT setup that you've got two devices trying to act as routers - the Home Hub and the "master" wifi disc. Surely only one should take that role, even if the "master" wifi disc is the only device which is creating a Wifi SSID?

[I could be completely misunderstanding what you're trying to describe of course!]

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 17:39:01 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

[quote]

larkim - 41 mins ago  » 
    That does sound like a DHCP issue; you shouldn't have DHCP on the Home Hub AND the Whole Home wifi, it should be on one or the other only.
    I've not got anything connected via ethernet, but I've also got a mesh wifi network (Deco M4, using a Huawei fibre modem). I've got other routers connected to the mesh but all have to have their DHCP servers disabled to allow the M4's "master" unit to act as the router.
    I may be wrong, but in terms of the server which is dishing out DHCP addresses I believe it is correct that for a single network there should be only a single DHCP server, which would result in all devices being allocated IP addresses within the same network.
    It sounds to me in the BT setup that you've got two devices trying to act as routers - the Home Hub and the "master" wifi disc. Surely only one should take that role, even if the "master" wifi disc is the only device which is creating a Wifi SSID?
    [I could be completely misunderstanding what you're trying to describe of course!]

What is supposed to happen is that once you connect the first disk to your router that then becomes the de facto router for all the WiFi devices. Hence why you should disable the routers WiFi. The original router continues its function as a gateway for hardwired devices. I can see no evidence of dual DCHP allocation but will investigate this further.

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 18:25:00 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

If the devices are on different subnets then something non-standard seems to be going on. It could all be "as designed" by BT of course, but if my Deco setup used my EE Hub instead of a dedicated modem of still expect all devices, wired or wireless, to be on the same 192.168.1.xxx, rather than wired on 192.168.1.xxx and wireless on 192.168.2.xxx for example.

| Mon 8 Mar 2021 23:29:32 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

larkim - 12 hours ago  » 
    If the devices are on different subnets then something non-standard seems to be going on. It could all be "as designed" by BT of course, but if my Deco setup used my EE Hub instead of a dedicated modem of still expect all devices, wired or wireless, to be on the same 192.168.1.xxx, rather than wired on 192.168.1.xxx and wireless on 192.168.2.xxx for example.

I have spoken to BT about this issue and it's perfectly normal behaviour. There is only one router handling DCHP and that's the Smarthub. A device using WiFi via the Mesh network will always have a different IP address than if it was using Ethernet via the Smarthub. Ethernet and WiFi will have a different MAC address with this setup, so a different IP address will follow.

| Tue 9 Mar 2021 12:22:23 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Yep, that's correct (different MAC ID, different assigned DHCP address); I wouldn't expect anything different to that. I may have misunderstood, I thought you had the device showing up as 192.168.1.XXX on ethernet, 192.168.2.XXX on wifi, but instead what you should see would be 192.168.1.XXX on ethernet, 192.168.1.YYY on wifi; that would be normal and is what BT seem to be suggesting.

On re-reading what you wrote, I think I just misunderstood what you were experiencing!

As you were...

| Tue 9 Mar 2021 17:06:47 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 
    I have spoken to BT about this issue and it's perfectly normal behaviour. There is only one router handling DCHP and that's the Smarthub.

Right, that makes far more sense. Do the discs share a single IP address or does each disk have its own IP address?

| Tue 9 Mar 2021 18:46:52 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Martin Liddle - 4 hours ago  » 

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 
    I have spoken to BT about this issue and it's perfectly normal behaviour. There is only one router handling DCHP and that's the Smarthub.

Right, that makes far more sense. Do the discs share a single IP address or does each disk have its own IP address?

Each disk has its own IP address but they all share the same SSID and password which is how they hand off from one disk to another as I walk round. I can see it happen in real time on my phone and it’s this that always ensure I get a strong consistent connection.

| Tue 9 Mar 2021 23:22:48 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

larkim - 6 hours ago  » 
    Yep, that's correct (different MAC ID, different assigned DHCP address); I wouldn't expect anything different to that. I may have misunderstood, I thought you had the device showing up as 192.168.1.XXX on ethernet, 192.168.2.XXX on wifi, but instead what you should see would be 192.168.1.XXX on ethernet, 192.168.1.YYY on wifi; that would be normal and is what BT seem to be suggesting.
    On re-reading what you wrote, I think I just misunderstood what you were experiencing!
    As you were...

Yes, for example it could read 1.231 for Ethernet and 1.232 for WiFi - just one digit apart.

| Tue 9 Mar 2021 23:26:09 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Culler

Well just to add to this long and insightful series of posts. I was having trouble connecting my Aura to the internet via ethernet. On reading one of the posts I tried making a direct connection rather than via the new ethernet hub I'd installed. L0-and-behold, it worked first time. Thanks to the poster who mentioned bypassing the hub.

| Fri 12 Mar 2021 19:45:23 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.