My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Ethernet connection left me totally confused

(60 posts)
  1. Mars

Mars

special member

Faust - 36 mins ago  » 
    I believe I'm finally getting more of a handle on what's been happening with the errant Ethernet connection on my new Aura. I appear to have a more stable Ethernet connection (no dropped connection for 4 days) providing I use normal standby. If I use low power standby then I get the dropped Ethernet connection.
    This is what I have observed. If I go into settings then Network and Internet when the Aura is connected the status information shows "not connected" whilst underneath shows not only the Aura IP address but iPV6 addresses.
    When I try using low power standby that status info changes to "connected" (it's not) again with the Aura IP address plus the iPV6 addresses. The Aura somehow appears to think it's connecting to iPV6. However, when I look at the connection info on the BT Smarthub for the Aura's entry it states - The Smart Hub is currently not enabled for IPv6 addressing.
    Now how I get around this issue I've no idea and I'm not minded to splash out on a new router on the off chance it could solve the issue. I think I will just have to stick to normal standby.

I have IPv6 disabled in my router, yet the Aura, my phone, my tablet, my computer, my printer, etc. all have IPv6 addresses. You are barking up the wrong tree again!

| Sat 27 Feb 2021 12:47:39 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Mars - 48 mins ago  » 

Faust - 36 mins ago  » 
    I believe I'm finally getting more of a handle on what's been happening with the errant Ethernet connection on my new Aura. I appear to have a more stable Ethernet connection (no dropped connection for 4 days) providing I use normal standby. If I use low power standby then I get the dropped Ethernet connection.
    This is what I have observed. If I go into settings then Network and Internet when the Aura is connected the status information shows "not connected" whilst underneath shows not only the Aura IP address but iPV6 addresses.
    When I try using low power standby that status info changes to "connected" (it's not) again with the Aura IP address plus the iPV6 addresses. The Aura somehow appears to think it's connecting to iPV6. However, when I look at the connection info on the BT Smarthub for the Aura's entry it states - The Smart Hub is currently not enabled for IPv6 addressing.
    Now how I get around this issue I've no idea and I'm not minded to splash out on a new router on the off chance it could solve the issue. I think I will just have to stick to normal standby.

I have IPv6 disabled in my router, yet the Aura, my phone, my tablet, my computer, my printer, etc. all have IPv6 addresses. You are barking up the wrong tree again!

I can only report what I am seeing plus it’s now working. I cannot disable iPV6 on my router. It’s also the only device that has an iPv6 address, no other devices in the hub list anything other than iPv4.

Can you shed any light on the connected/not connected message, what does your Aura report when it’s connected?

| Sat 27 Feb 2021 13:37:13 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Although I have now found out why the Aura will not stay connected via an Ethernet connection thanks to a long shot suggestion by a Humax technician, the problem isn’t solvable for my setup. The good news however is the Aura works brilliantly via my Mesh WiFi.

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 8:39:28 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 41 mins ago  » 
    Although I have now found out why the Aura will not stay connected via an Ethernet connection thanks to a long shot suggestion by a Humax technician, the problem isn’t solvable for my setup.

What was the long shot suggestion?

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 9:21:15 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MickO

Faust - 4 weeks ago  » 
    My replacement Aura arrived yesterday as the original just couldn't for whatever reason maintain an Ethernet connection. There was clearly a fault possibly the Ethernet port or a fault on the Logic board as the replacement is working just fine. However there is still a quirk with the replacement which I simply can't get my head around.
    When I go into settings and click on Network and Internet it states not connected then underneath is a long string of letters and symbols like a MAC adress plus the Aura's IP address. However, I can't work out what the long string is as it's not the WLAN, LAN, or Bluetooth Mac address of the machine. Anyone got any ideas?
    fdaa:bbcc:ddee:0:e95:283f:cb:19c2<br

This is the IP6 address.

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 13:44:54 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB1

Faust - 5 hours ago  » 
    Although I have now found out why the Aura will not stay connected via an Ethernet connection thanks to a long shot suggestion by a Humax technician, the problem isn’t solvable for my setup. The good news however is the Aura works brilliantly via my Mesh WiFi.

I changed my setup so the Aura connects directly into my BT Home hub. Previously it was connected via a 4 port hub. Since connecting directly, I haven't had any ethernet connection issues.

Not sure why, as everything else connected to the 4 port hub works fine and doesn't have any issues.

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 14:41:10 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 day ago  » 

Faust - 41 mins ago  » 
    Although I have now found out why the Aura will not stay connected via an Ethernet connection thanks to a long shot suggestion by a Humax technician, the problem isn’t solvable for my setup.

What was the long shot suggestion?

I have mesh WiFi which connects directly into the BT Homehub and effectively replaces the HH as the router for all WiFi traffic. The HH then simply becomes a gateway device for DCHP and Ethernet connected traffic. The technician suggested disconnecting the Mesh disk to see if it had any effect on the Ethernet connection. As soon as I disconnected the mesh disk the Aura connected by Ethernet and would stay connected even with repeated shutdowns into low power standby. As soon as I reconnected the mesh disk the Aura dropped the Ethernet connection again. As I need the Mesh WiFi I'm now using the Aura on WiFi via the Mesh and the connection is rock solid.

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 13:54:46 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 38 mins ago  » 
    I have mesh WiFi which connects directly into the BT Homehub and effectively replaces the HH as the router for all WiFi traffic. The HH then simply becomes a gateway device for DCHP and Ethernet connected traffic. The technician suggested disconnecting the Mesh disk to see if it had any effect on the Ethernet connection. As soon as I disconnected the mesh disk the Aura connected by Ethernet and would stay connected even with repeated shutdowns into low power standby. As soon as I reconnected the mesh disk the Aura dropped the Ethernet connection again. As I need the Mesh WiFi I'm now using the Aura on WiFi via the Mesh and the connection is rock solid.

Can I check I understand the topology of your network: you have a BT Home Hub which is the modem and the router for the WiFi; you then have a separate router supplying ethernet. Is that correct? What advantage does the separate router give you?

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 14:37:23 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Martin Liddle - 15 mins ago  » 

Faust - 38 mins ago  » 

Can I check I understand the topology of your network: you have a BT Home Hub which is the modem and the router for the WiFi; you then have a separate router supplying ethernet. Is that correct? What advantage does the separate router give you?

No, I have a BT smart hub which now has WiFi disabled because I'm using BT WholeHome Wifi Mesh disks which replaces the HH WiFi and provides far superior WiFi to all parts of my property. The Mesh WiFi comprises three disks (you can add more) one of the disks becomes the "master disk" (the one connected to the router) and also becomes your router for WiFi traffic. The other disks (strategically placed in other rooms) mesh with the main disk and as you move around the property seamlessly hand off your devices e.g. smartphone from one disk to another. That way you always get the maximum signal.

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 15:02:11 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB1

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 

No, I have a BT smart hub which now has WiFi disabled because I'm using BT WholeHome Wifi Mesh disks which replaces the HH WiFi and provides far superior WiFi to all parts of my property. The Mesh WiFi comprises three disks (you can add more) one of the disks becomes the "master disk" (the one connected to the router) and also becomes your router for WiFi traffic. The other disks (strategically placed in other rooms) mesh with the main disk and as you move around the property seamlessly hand off your devices e.g. smartphone from one disk to another. That way you always get the maximum signal.

With this setup, does the BT Wholehome Wifi provide it's only internal DHCP and subnet to anything that connects to the new Wifi?

I had a TP-LINK Deco M4 Whole Home WiFi System, which I did some testing with. With this I found it used it's own DHCP and subnets. This meant that anything connected on the Tp-Link mesh network couldn't see anything connected on the Ethernet network. So when I had the Aura connected to the ethernet port and my mobile phone connected to the TP-Link mesh network, then the Aura app wouldn't work, as it couldn't see the Aura.

Could it be a clash of IP addresses somewhere? The DHCP on the BT Home hub and the BT WholeHome Wifi are trying to use the same range?

| Sun 7 Mar 2021 17:18:09 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.