My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Ethernet connection left me totally confused

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

I have a similar issue I use a ethernet cable plugged into my Aura and into a BT Halo disc, which worked brilliantly until the last software update on the aura app now the Aura app does not recognise by aura box on my network which is connected via the ethernet which worked fine before the upgrade, the ethernet / wifi implementation does not appear to be great and a bit flaky I have now given up with the app which is a shame as it was working great before the software update.

| Fri 19 Feb 2021 9:23:03 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ranfurlyray

Hi
    I Have had an interesting Internet connection problem which Humax were going to change the box for. Then I read this post about IPV6 as a possible problem.
    In my cedase, the Internet was connect and working for most things until I selected Freeview Play when it asked to connect to the Internet and accept conditions. A similar message came up when I opened the Guide and would not
    Access iplayer

| Wed 24 Feb 2021 11:11:13 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ranfurlyray

Sorry about that.
    Anyway having read this post I checked my router for ipv6 which was disabled. I decided to enable it just to try it and immediately the box started to work. No connection messages.
    My best guess is that it happened after a firmware update on the router. As I have never touched ipv6 before it may be that the previous version defaulted to ipv6 enabled and the update defaulted to disable.
    Glad I read th

| Wed 24 Feb 2021 11:18:58 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

ranfurlyray - 4 hours ago  » 
    Sorry about that.
    Anyway having read this post I checked my router for ipv6 which was disabled. I decided to enable it just to try it and immediately the box started to work. No connection messages.
    My best guess is that it happened after a firmware update on the router. As I have never touched ipv6 before it may be that the previous version defaulted to ipv6 enabled and the update defaulted to disable.
    Glad I read th

Well I have a similar quirky update. As said, I have tried everything to get Ethernet to work without success. However, during lunch the Ethernet connected without any apparent input from me. I then did a bit more digging. Just before lunch I changed the iPV6 setting from "stateless" to "stateful". Whether this is what has fixed this issue remains to be seen. If it keeps the connection overnight it will be a win, and if it keeps the connection over a few days I will consider myself in clover.

| Wed 24 Feb 2021 16:13:37 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 weeks ago  » 
    Are you using Windows or a MAC ?
    This is what the Aura looks like in the Network Section of Windows File Explorer
    Not a clue what this means other than it's a long number in Hexadecimal (base 15) format but :
    https://en.ryte.com/wiki/Unique_Identifier#:~:text=Unique%20identifiers%20or%20UID's%20are,datasets%20within%20a%20computer%20network.

As you've included this information I gather you deem it important so I would like to add a correction, Hexadecimal is not base 15 but base 16.

| Thu 25 Feb 2021 11:59:45 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Sadly the Aura failed to keep it's connection overnight when waking from low power standby. However the BT Hub UI shows the Aura as connected and the BT Hub logs show the connection handshake taking place at the exact time I switched the box on. This is the odd bit - I left the Aura switched on but according to the device was not connected yet 30 minutes later when I checked it again the Aura had finally connected via Ethernet? It's as though the device struggles to wake up the Internet connection but then does so eventually.

| Thu 25 Feb 2021 12:10:00 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

J_Oz - 13 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 weeks ago  » 
    Are you using Windows or a MAC ?
    This is what the Aura looks like in the Network Section of Windows File Explorer
    Not a clue what this means other than it's a long number in Hexadecimal (base 15) format but :
    https://en.ryte.com/wiki/Unique_Identifier#:~:text=Unique%20identifiers%20or%20UID's%20are,datasets%20within%20a%20computer%20network.

As you've included this information I gather you deem it important so I would like to add a correction, Hexadecimal is not base 15 but base 16.

It was a typo.

| Thu 25 Feb 2021 12:13:40 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Just for information Graham, the screenshot you've enclosed re: the Humax Aura properties in Windows. My Aura returns exactly the same page, (obviously different IP and MAC address), though no idea what it actually means.

| Thu 25 Feb 2021 14:02:38 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 5 mins ago  » 
    Just for information Graham, the screenshot you've enclosed re: the Humax Aura properties in Windows. My Aura returns exactly the same page, (obviously different IP and MAC address), though no idea what it actually means.

Basically it confirms your box has a IP address and can be seen on your network.

| Thu 25 Feb 2021 14:09:16 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I believe I'm finally getting more of a handle on what's been happening with the errant Ethernet connection on my new Aura. I appear to have a more stable Ethernet connection (no dropped connection for 4 days) providing I use normal standby. If I use low power standby then I get the dropped Ethernet connection.

This is what I have observed. If I go into settings then Network and Internet when the Aura is connected the status information shows "not connected" whilst underneath shows not only the Aura IP address but iPV6 addresses.

When I try using low power standby that status info changes to "connected" (it's not) again with the Aura IP address plus the iPV6 addresses. The Aura somehow appears to think it's connecting to iPV6. However, when I look at the connection info on the BT Smarthub for the Aura's entry it states - The Smart Hub is currently not enabled for IPv6 addressing.

Now how I get around this issue I've no idea and I'm not minded to splash out on a new router on the off chance it could solve the issue. I think I will just have to stick to normal standby.

| Sat 27 Feb 2021 12:06:53 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.