My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura keeps rebooting

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyvee

Hi
    I'm having problems with my Aura - it keeps rebooting - a lock up and then full cold boot.
    This can happen at any time - watching Freeview and nothing recording, watching Freeview and something is being recorded, watching a recording or using apps. ITVX app is awful - at the end of every program I watch the box just reboots ....

Any tips other than a full reset (again)?

What's the official support route - is it back to the retailer - as I bought online from Currys just over 12mths ago but it was advertised as a 2yr warranty.

The box is pretty much useless as it stands as this is an almost daily occurence - it seems to have been getting progressively worse

Thanks

| Wed 11 Oct 2023 11:50:41 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

andyvee - 37 mins ago  » 
    Hi
    I'm having problems with my Aura - it keeps rebooting - a lock up and then full cold boot.
    This can happen at any time - watching Freeview and nothing recording, watching Freeview and something is being recorded, watching a recording or using apps. ITVX app is awful - at the end of every program I watch the box just reboots ....
    Any tips other than a full reset (again)?
    What's the official support route - is it back to the retailer - as I bought online from Currys just over 12mths ago but it was advertised as a 2yr warranty.
    The box is pretty much useless as it stands as this is an almost daily occurence - it seems to have been getting progressively worse
    Thanks

I think a reboot or a replacement are your only two options.

| Wed 11 Oct 2023 12:28:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

humaxban

Reboots after every programme? That is odd. But if you've already been through a factory reset, then replacement is really your only option.

The only other things I could possibly add here are

- make sure its not overheating (location, covered, heating, a hot amp?, behind TV?)
    - disconnect anything extra and try (so leave only aerial, HDMI and network (or wifi), power ofc )

| Thu 12 Oct 2023 16:29:50 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyvee

Yes, on ITVX app it gets quite happily to the end of the programme then screen goes black, and a couple of seconds later just reboots.

I've done a full factory reset again so will see what happens going forward.

Its not overheating, its in the open air. Only things connected to it are power, aerial, HDMI and network cable.

Currys have agreed to a return, but no details as to if that is for replacement or repair - I need to call them as all they did was arrange a collection and I haven't even told them what the fault is ...

| Thu 12 Oct 2023 17:05:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

My Aura also reboots at the end of every program on ITVX in exactly the same way as yours.

As suggested somewhere else, one option is to download the Scottish STV player which works consistently. Unfortunately it doesn't have every program or series available on ITVX.

I keep meaning to try turning off the "play next program" option as this causes issues on a fire stick, though it doesn't cause a complete reset like the aura.

| Fri 13 Oct 2023 9:10:12 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

Yes I find if I switch on in the morning and then do a reboot straight away this seems to prevent all the drop outs, random reboots and internet glitches.Also prevents the sound break ups that occur every now and again.
    It would be nice not to have to do this of course but what else can you do.
    This is my second box the fist replaced due to the signal strength problems.
    I cant help making a comparison with my firestick which seems to be updated at least once a week!

| Fri 13 Oct 2023 10:15:02 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyvee

I'll try turning off the play next program option. Not holding out much hope TBH.

Its rebooted at other times in the middle of watching terrestial, so its not just the ITVX app.

I'm resorting back to my old freeview recorder for now. Might even look at a Google TV Chromecast as well as they are cheap enough for the HD one.

| Fri 13 Oct 2023 15:08:02 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ParksidePeter

I've been getting this for a few months. Mine was one of the first sold, in December 2020.
    The Humax warranty appears to be 12 months or two years if registered. I don't remember registering mine but that's irrelevant as it's over two years old. I'm emailing Humax to see what they say.
    Intriguing that the retail is the same as it was in 2020/1.

| Sat 14 Oct 2023 17:36:40 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave480

My Aura regularly used to reboot. It is now stable and I only have an issue when the broadcasters change things and a quick rescan sorts things out.

How have I achieved this?

I use it as a Freeview Play PVR only and have removed or disabled every other app I had installed or came pre-installed, except Freeview Play apps and system apps. All my streaming is now done using an AppleTV and a Firestick.

I brought this box hoping it would be the one box does all solution (it even has Frame Rate Matching and Audio Passthrough) but sadly with Humax no longer supporting the Aura with updates using it for streaming is a no-no.

I still have the annoying bugs they wont fix, intermittent jumping to start when pressing forward, it not remembering where you were last watching and going into Deep Standby every few days, but at least it’s stable.

Trouble is there is no alternative. I looked at Freesat, the Arris box is worse than the Aura for issues and it also appears to no longer be supported with updates (I find it funny that owners wish it had been made by Humax, if only they know). Not fully investigated Enigma2 boxes but look expensive, complicated and no series link.

I’m holding out hopes for the new Manhatton box but it just keeps getting delayed and at the moment there are hints it will only have 2 tuners.

So at the moment if mine went tits up tomorrow and the wife couldn’t live without a Freeview PVR till the Manhaton could be evaluated would I buy another, YES.

| Sun 15 Oct 2023 11:22:27 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

ParksidePeter

Humax replied to my email just before 7.00pm (on Saturday), suggesting that I did a factory reset, which I'd been hoping to avoid. I did so, so we'll see how it goes.
    I can see how a box that has been in use for nearly three years without a reset might be clogged up but that doesn't explain how users with newer examples have the same problem after only a short period of use.

| Sun 15 Oct 2023 14:29:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.