My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura playback via wifi, Windows computer

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

phslot

Recently and spontaneously the Windows file manager on my Win10 desktop computer has started displaying the recordings on my Aura PVR (shown as Aura 4K Media Server). But if I try to play them via the computer using Media Monkey 5 software they won't start. If I try with Windows Media Player the computer simply freezes and Windows has to be restarted. Trying to play starting from the file manager uploads the file to an AppData file, but it still won't play.

Is playback from the Aura via wifi on a Windows computer supported?

| Sat 26 Oct 2024 16:15:06 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

phslot - 42 mins ago  » 
    Is playback from the Aura via wifi on a Windows computer supported?

Yes it is supported. You need to know that you are connecting to DLNA server. In VLC select Local Network> Universal Plug'n'Play. This should show the Aura 4K Media Server, Click on it and Scroll down to recordings and click on the recording of your choice. Note that if I remember correctly, HD recordings will need to be transcoded by the Aura to a lower resolution.

| Sat 26 Oct 2024 17:04:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

phslot

Still can't play back. Windows file manager, Media Monkey and VLC all find Aura 4K Media Server, but won't play any recording, although each recording shows with its size in KB. VLC gives this error message: Your input can't be opened:
    "VLC is unable to open the MRL ''. Check the log for details." (But I can't find a log!)
    Media Monkey says: Playback failed: [file with full path] is inaccessible.

What is wrong?

| Sun 27 Oct 2024 10:15:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

1)Are you trying to play HD recordings?
    2)If the file size is in KB this doesn't sound like the right file. Are you sure you're trying to play a .TS file and not something else. IIRC each recording is in a separate folder. Maybe you are trying to play the folder rather than enter the folder and play the .TS file
    3)If you have MediaInfo you should be able to get information on the file you downloaded to your PC. If it is a .TS then MediaInfo will grumble if it isn't a proper video file - most likely cause an encrypted HD recording.
    4) I know it's possible to play recordings on a PC on a LAN, I'm not certain about WiFi. I can't get my pc to connect to the Aura via FTP on WiFi, but can on LAN (and yes, I've used the correct IP address). Maybe other connections (DLNA,SMB) are only available over LAN???

| Sun 27 Oct 2024 12:13:07 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

phslot

1) I was trying to play an MP3 audio file (348,000 KB). My video recordings (HD) are all over 1 million KB. Windows gives the size in KB.
    2) I don't see a .TS file. No, not trying to play the folder, just the file.
    3) Nothing happens if I try to open that file in MediaInfo.
    4) If Windows file manager displays all my recordings (video and audio), it should also be possible to play them, but it isn't.

Attachments

1. Files.pdf (19.5 KB, 2 downloads) 9 hours old
    | Sun 27 Oct 2024 12:39:15 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Scrub most of what I posted. I was thinking of the actual Aura disk contents rather than what is presented via the various servers.

I am confused by the fact you can't play a file you've managed to copy to your PC. Can VLC or MediaInfo tell you anything about the file contents?

There are pages on the internet re VLC not being able to open an MRL (eg https://windowsreport.com/vlc-is-unable-to-open-the-mrl/ ). Maybe one of the solutions there may help. (Firewall?)

| Sun 27 Oct 2024 13:42:52 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

phslot

I have now been able to get MediaInfo to look at the one mp3 file I was trying to play (see attachment). Why on earth won't VLC or Media Monkey not open an mp3 file?

Attachments

1. File.pdf (36 KB, 3 downloads) 8 hours old
    | Sun 27 Oct 2024 13:58:04 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

If you look at that MediaInfo output, the file name is .MP3 but the info suggests it's a .TS file containing mp2 data - standard for radio on Freeview. I tried renaming one of my downloaded (but yet unprocessed) radio files from .TS to .MP3 and it wouldn't play in VLC. Try renaming the file by changing the .MP3 to .TS and see if it will play. Not an ideal solution!

| Sun 27 Oct 2024 14:25:15 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

phslot

Still won't play, whether .mp3 or .ts. See attached file from Media Monkey.

Giving up for time being...

Attachments

1. Fail.pdf (13.7 KB, 3 downloads) 6 hours old
    | Sun 27 Oct 2024 15:42:05 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

kr002

special member

Have you definitely converted the recordings in Aura recordings section?
    The files that should play have this at the end (converted)

| Sun 27 Oct 2024 17:30:48 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.