My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Signal Strength?

(103 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

boogersa - 10 hours ago  » 
    I am getting the occasional picture breakup/pixelation but only for a second or two. It’s more flaky than the 5000t I have. Aura sIgnal strength is in the high 80% and quality is between 95-100%, sometimes reaching 100% I don’t know if this can be fixed by firmware updates. If it starts to annoy me it’s going back.

Fit a cheap variable attenuator to reduce the signal level a bit ensuring quality remains at 100%

That's a classic example of signal clipping. If you are using the 5000T RF loop out to connect the aura that will also increase the signal strength as it has a small amplifier. I would connect the aerial to the Aura RF in and use it's loop out as this remains on even when the box has no power.

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 9:12:39 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

The 5000t is not connected to the aura in any way. I’ve ordered an attenuator and I’ll see if that helps.

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 11:09:37 #12 |
  3. Mars

Mars

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

I am getting the occasional picture breakup/pixelation but only for a second or two. It’s more flaky than the 5000t I have. Aura sIgnal strength is in the high 80% and quality is between 95-100%, sometimes reaching 100% I don’t know if this can be fixed by firmware updates. If it starts to annoy me it’s going back.

Fit a cheap variable attenuator to reduce the signal level a bit ensuring quality remains at 100%
    That's a classic example of signal clipping. If you are using the 5000T RF loop out to connect the aura that will also increase the signal strength as it has a small amplifier. I would connect the aerial to the Aura RF in and use it's loop out as this remains on even when the box has no power.

How do you fit an attenuator and ensure that the signal quality remains at 100% when the initial signal quality is 95-100% (only sometimes reaching 100%)? The problem is signal quality!

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 12:21:50 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mars - 1 hour ago  » 

How do you fit an attenuator and ensure that the signal quality remains at 100% when the initial signal quality is 95-100% (only sometimes reaching 100%)? The problem is signal quality!

You reduce the level until the quality starts to drop and then increase a little to give a margin. It's a bit of a trial and error exercise. If your signal is too high, because of the distortion the quality goes down until you get the signal level within the tuner capability.

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 14:18:44 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Mars - 1 hour ago  » 

That's a classic example of signal clipping.

Easy.
    First fit the variable attenuator and adjust it so that the quality is 100%. Over the next few minutes keep an eye on it to check that it remains at 100%. Due to time of day, and changes of weather, it may need a small adjustment to ensure that it remains at 100%.

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 14:28:02 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Well. I’ve bought one and will try it out. If it doesn’t work it may be used on a separate TV which gets picture break up on most hd channels. I never knew that a too strong signal could cause an issue until reading on this forum!

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 14:39:21 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

boogersa - 15 mins ago  » 
    Well. I’ve bought one and will try it out. If it doesn’t work it may be used on a separate TV which gets picture break up on most hd channels. I never knew that a too strong signal could cause an issue until reading on this forum!

https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/why-does-my-freeview-tv-signal-break-up-pixelate

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 14:54:34 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

I’ve got the attenuator fitted to the back of the aura. I’ve lowered signal strength to below 75% but keeping quality at 100%. I’m still getting very occasional picture breakup (which lasts a few seconds) but no mysterious stopping of the picture for a few seconds and then jumping forwards. I may lower the signal strength to see if that gets rid of the picture breakup. I would be interested what others have for picture strength. Without the attenuator the strength varies between 85-90% which is probably too strong?

| Mon 30 Nov 2020 12:30:28 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

boogersa - 3 hours ago  » 
    I’ve got the attenuator fitted to the back of the aura. I’ve lowered signal strength to below 75% but keeping quality at 100%.

I would try working up rather than down; try say 50% signal strength, if that fixes the problem then try 55% and so on.

| Mon 30 Nov 2020 16:02:51 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

kr002

special member

Could you recommend an attenuator to buy say on eBay or Amazon etc.thanks

| Mon 30 Nov 2020 17:33:45 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.