My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Can Not Receive PSB 3 / BBC B Band.

(21 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 1 hour ago  » 
    Oh would you believe it!..it seems to have rectified itself tonight with all that group on a steady 74% signal strength.
    My Leads are QED Qunex TTV leads. Good quality ready soldered but bought used
    What is a bit dodgy if the wall socket alongside an FM outlet. Its getting a bit rickety and loose fitting in the coax socket. I think I will replace it.
    Please note however not one twitch on the other bands with a truly beautiful picture so whatever was hapenning was just on that PSB 3 band.
    This shows that the Humax is working but I hope it wasnt a glitch in the Humax Tuner....cant understand what I was experiencing since
    Just as I am typing this the picture dropped out for a second no signal so this isnt over yet

The signal radiated by a HDMI cable can vary slightly in frequency. You need to do the analogue connection test. Have you moved the HDMI cable as far as possible away from the coax cable,

| Tue 13 Sep 2016 20:52:35 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Not yet but will do. Ive moved the HDMI cable away from the coax but still dont understand why it could only affect PSB 3

Its been a long day. Picture is dropping out and messages come up to say it affected a recording on ITV HD. I see other people have reported that message comes up when recording is interupted so Im not alone in reception problems on freeview The drop out seems only once or twice per hour...Is this normal?

I still wonder why that band only unless there are technical problems with perhaps too many competing channels. Is everyone else ok on PSB 3? BBC1 HD

I will get to the bottom of it. It could possibly be a bad connection Ive yet to replace. Thanks again

| Tue 13 Sep 2016 21:40:16 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 13 hours ago  » 
    Not yet but will do. Ive moved the HDMI cable away from the coax but still dont understand why it could only affect PSB 3
    Its been a long day. Picture is dropping out and messages come up to say it affected a recording on ITV HD. I see other people have reported that message comes up when recording is interupted so Im not alone in reception problems on freeview The drop out seems only once or twice per hour...Is this normal?
    I still wonder why that band only unless there are technical problems with perhaps too many competing channels. Is everyone else ok on PSB 3? BBC1 HD
    I will get to the bottom of it. It could possibly be a bad connection Ive yet to replace. Thanks again

Channel 54 has a centre frequency of 738MHz. HDMI cables operate at similar frequencies. If it's radiating at or close to 738MHz it will knock out the one mux and not affect the others. It's a very common issue.

You don't by any chance have a wireless router or other RF kit like a cordless phone base station close to the box ?

| Wed 14 Sep 2016 11:17:24 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Oh I do yes I have a panasonic dect phone very near but the router has the wireless switched off.

I will try everything

I will be phoning the 4G people as we had a card through the door ages ago. Masts quite near and a mess of conflicting frequencies.

I will get to the bottom of this

| Wed 14 Sep 2016 17:49:10 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

PSB2 is nearer the 4G frequency than the problem frequency, and you have no issue with this. You need to look at your own kit. First step is move the dect phone to eliminate it.

You still need to talk to your neighbours. May be one is using a illegal UHF re-transmission device.

| Wed 14 Sep 2016 21:34:23 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Thankyou very much.

I have had the dect phone switched off so its not that. I hav eturned off all mini transformers and equipment round it so its not those. If my wall socket and aerial lead were dodgy why am I getting other HD channels like BBC 4 HD perfectly?

If its an landlords amplified aerial system why just PSB 3? I would have expected it to be overloading or affecting all channel signals recieved

Please Can you talk me through the HDMI lead. If I unplug it and leave a recording set to record would that be a test? It radiates a frequncy does it or is it feeding it back into the box? I had never heard of this problem before

I have QED silver scarts (£60 RRP) to use but its a bit of hassle getting round the back and plugging the scarts in

How do I eliminate HDMI as a cause in a final test?
    Thanks again

| Thu 15 Sep 2016 11:58:39 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 1 minute ago  » 
    Thankyou very much.
    I have had the dect phone switched off so its not that. I hav eturned off all mini transformers and equipment round it so its not those. If my wall socket and aerial lead were dodgy why am I getting other HD channels like BBC 4 HD perfectly?
    If its an landlords amplified aerial system why just PSB 3? I would have expected it to be overloading or affecting all channel signals recieved
    Please Can you talk me through the HDMI lead. If I unplug it and leave a recording set to record would that be a test? It radiates a frequncy does it or is it feeding it back into the box? I had never heard of this problem before
    I have QED silver scarts (£60 RRP) to use but its a bit of hassle getting round the back and plugging the scarts in
    How do I eliminate HDMI as a cause in a final test?
    Thanks again

You need to be able to plug something in to the box to see if the box works without the hdmi lead being connected. If you have an audio amplifier or something with an audio input you could connect one or both of the box rca audio outputs to check if you can hear the missing mux.

As you say you could also try recording the missing mux with the hdmi lead disconnected.

I take it your TV doesn't have a Freeview-HD tuner ?

| Thu 15 Sep 2016 12:03:37 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

4G people are contacting the landlord and sending me a filter. There is a mast causing concern in the area.

It may not be that but I will be eliminating it from the equation.

My TV is just a Samsung 720p that my parents got from a neighbour. It doesnt have freeview HD but interestingly it did drop out with a blocky picture very occasionaly on material that the humax handles easily

I will be going 4K and this is just a transitional set. It is a niggle I dont have anything else with freeview hd to compare.

Even If I have to move, I wil get to the bottom of this one day

I wonder if there are taxi transmissions or one of the neighbours with transmitting equipment

The drop outs and weak/ no signal are almost constant in patches. It might be ok for a short time then it goes bananas almost constantly again. I was being over optomistic and flat out lying when I said it was only a couple of times. It makes those channels unwatchable in HD and I have to watch the sd versions

I will do the HDMI test very soon

| Thu 15 Sep 2016 12:29:07 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

I watched nearly an hour of a programme this afternoon with no problems.

Then as the evening drew in it started going wrong again. I may get ten minutes or twenty minutes then it loses signal altogether with a message and black screen for a minute or so. Then it stutters back into life but keeps stuttering with picture pause, freeze, black screen and weak/no signal message. When black the signal and quality are at zero!

I then switch over as I cant tolerate the frustration any longer

This is on all channels in that group...when one stutters all the others are on channel 54.

I just cant see that an HDMI radiation problem would permit viewing for any length of time. Ive just had another thirty minutes straight of BBC1 HD with no issues.

Problems like this drive me mad but I have a sense that its not anything to do with my stuff within these walls.

I will do the final hdmi test soon but am pretty sure this is a faulty aerial system or signal being blocked out elsewhere.

AND Winter Hill is listed as possible weak signal for a while due to possible mainteanance...how I hate not being in control of all factors

| Thu 15 Sep 2016 20:42:43 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Ah latest news is Ive removed the HDMI lead and am watching through a scart lead.

Great improvement with no drop outs so far so I should have listened to the first advice I was given. Recordings went well with HDMI out as well.

I cant believe that it would be radiation from the lead that Humax supplied.

So possibly the next stage would be retry the HDMI for proof and then buy a better but cheap screened HDMI lead. I have a large braided one I bought on ebay for £4 so I will try that soon

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 18:49:57 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.