My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Cannot delete some recordings

(46 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Bob,
    not too sure where you are with this, it seems to have turned into a mini nightmare.
    Out of interest what is the name of the file that won't delete?

If you have removed the drive, you may be able to connect it to a pc or similar, boot into a linux live CD or USB and delete the file from there. It's a bit daunting if you've not done this sort of thing before. If you get this far it'd be useful to run a file system check fsck as well as checking the SMART diagnostics

Aside from a defective download, it may be the usb stick at fault. try a different usb stick (2,4,8,16GB usb2.0) if it's empty, fully format it to fat32, not a quick format. Unzip/extract the downloaded file, copy the firmware file across following the readme instructions. Always remember to use the 'eject media' icon on the taskbar if using windows to eject (unmount) the usb stick after it's finished writing before pulling it out of the pc

Always power off the foxsat by putting into standby first, wait a few minutes until the disk stops spinning, use the switch (back left hand side) or socket, whichever is easier to reach.
    Let us know how you get on.

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 10:32:51 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bobmoore

It started with 3 files :-
    World of weird wed 26th October ch4hd
    Saving Africa's Elephants 24th October bbc Scotland
    Raw recruits 24th October ch5+1.

The problems started after I went away and found the disc was full.

Some time later a directory containing videos and sub directories cannot be accessed at all.

These are all on the original machine.

The spare machine only contains the directories with no files.

I have tried different usb sticks and a portable hard drive.
    Some give the error others say it is downloading but just hangs.

You say I need to boot to Linux live. Can I not just connect to a pc and delete the problem files and check the disc. Alternatively copy the whole disc to the pc, reformat the disc and then copy the files back.

This still doesn't answer the question, why am I having similar problems on the spare machine?

It seems too much of a coincidence.

I appreciate your help.

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 23:23:18 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Bobmoore - 10 hours ago  » 
    It started with 3 files :-
    I have tried different usb sticks and a portable hard drive.
    Some give the error others say it is downloading but just hangs.

Thanks for the info about the file/s, just double checking, it should be impossible to get a file name with special characters, but you never know.

There shouldn't be a difference between usb sticks, any error should be repeatable. This suggests a problem with the usb sticks. Have you tried a (2,4,8,16GB usb 2.0) stick, fully formatted to fat32, not quick?

The foxsat uses a different file system that windows normally cannot read/write to. The last thing you want to do is connect the drive to a running windows pc as windows will want to format it as well as writing it's own i.d. to it.

It's still not 100% clear to me what does and doesn't work. I'm assuming the box still works, you've cleared some older files to make space, you can't delete the 3 files as above, the box won't take the new custom firmware.

If the disk is 100% full and you cannot delete any files then I could imagine there'll be problems installing updates/custom-firmware. In this case I don't think there is any other option but to connect the drive to a pc to delete a few files to make some initial space. There is a driver for windows that should allow windows access to the foxsat file system: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/files/Ext2fsd/0.68/Ext2Fsd-0.68.exe/download however if the filesystem is corrupted I'm not sure whether this will work. Best practice would be to boot to a linux live image.

With these things though there are many different approaches to try and fix problems.

Again, my first attempt would be the custom firmware route and don't be tempted to miss a step, particularly with the type and formatting of the usb stick.
    2nd attempt, is the spare machine with a drive that has space on it and works? If you have a usb caddy, put the 1TB full drive in it and connect to the spare machine. You should eventually be able to access the external 1TB drive and delete some files, put the 1TB drive back into the foxsat and update to custom firmware.
    3rd attempt, if the spare machine won't read/write to the 1TB or you don't have a usb caddy, you're back to a live linux image and clearing problems with this method.
    4th attempt, assuming the windows driver works, delete the offending files, plus anything else you don't want to keep, put the 1TB drive back into the foxsat, after disconnecting correctly from windows and install the custom firmware.
    5th attemp, assuming the windows driver works and you have enough space, copy the files off you want to keep including the associated files. This will take hours. Put the disk back into the foxsat and format it. Either swap disks again and copy files back or put custom firmware on the foxsat and copy the files back over the network, assuming both have ethernet cable connection.

From where I'm sitting, I'm convinced there is an initial problem with the usb stick/s you're using which would explain the similar problem with the spare machine. It's possible though the drive being really 100% full is causing an issue and if you can do anything to make a tiny bit of space, just one file/recording deleted will allow enough breathing space. Assuming the spare machine works properly then I don't see why attaching the 1TB via a caddy and deleting wouldn't work. and just for confirmation, the green 1TB drive you have is fine for the foxsat, some of the WD drives used to park their heads when idle every 7 seconds or so, not sure if yours is one of them, but that's the least of any worry at the moment.

Remember, deleting a small file can take 20 - 30 seconds for each one, always wait for a process to finish, if you use the windows driver and you connect the 1TB via a usb caddy make sure you eject/disconnect the drive once you've finished first in windows before unplugging the cable. A file once deleted won't re-appear, to start off with delete the smallest single file you can find.

let us know how you get on

| Thu 5 Jan 2017 9:45:14 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bobmoore

good news and bad news.

The good news is that I bought an pre formatted 8Gbyte usb stick from ebay,copied the s/w to it and it downloaded o.k. to both machines.

I then downloaded the web interface.

Can only think is was either the type of usb stick or the win10 formatting causing the original download problem.

The bad news is that when I try in the web interface to rename files , for instance, this doesn't work.
    When I try to delete the undeletable files I loose all files until I reboot.

On the second machine I still cannot access the recorded files or make new recordings.

I've tried different browsers.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 10:17:01 #34 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bobmoore - 32 minutes ago  » 
    good news and bad news.
    The good news is that I bought an pre formatted 8Gbyte usb stick from ebay,copied the s/w to it and it downloaded o.k. to both machines.
    I then downloaded the web interface.
    Can only think is was either the type of usb stick or the win10 formatting causing the original download problem.
    The bad news is that when I try in the web interface to rename files , for instance, this doesn't work.
    When I try to delete the undeletable files I loose all files until I reboot.
    On the second machine I still cannot access the recorded files or make new recordings.
    I've tried different browsers.
    I'd appreciate any ideas.
    Thanks

Try installing a FTP package and Filezilla on your PC and accessing the Foxsats that way.

In the end you may have to create a USB/CD linux boot disk and boot a PC into Linux. And then use the Super User (SUDO) command to delete the problem files. I would copy the recordings to your PC first, that won't take very long with a directly connected drive.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 10:50:39 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Bobmoore - 44 minutes ago  » 

You'd be amazed at how often a bad usb stick or not properly formatted stick thwarts people. Glad to see you've now got better access to the Foxsats.

next step depends upon what you want to achieve and what tools you have available.

What's the total space and used space of machines 1 and 2?

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 11:07:23 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bobmoore

machine 1 49%
    machine 2 46%
    I'd like to achieve the following :-

machine 1

be able to delete the files and directory of the probomatic directory.

to get access to another directory, which I can't at present.

machine 2

to be able to access any of the video files

to be able to record again

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 11:41:00 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Bobmoore - 9 minutes ago  » 
    machine 1 49%
    machine 2 46%

Thanks Bob,
    it may sound pedantic, but:
    "What's the total space and used space of machines 1 and 2?"
    you'll see this is the browser when connected to the foxsat.

Do you have an external usb drive and if so how much free space is on it and also how much free space does windows 10 have?

As previously mentioned there are going to be different methods to fix the problem depending upon your situation.

There is a utility on the foxsat that I guess 50/50 may fix or make it worse and I wouldn't run it before taking a backup or copying off what I really wanted to keep.

Looking at machine 1 first, as once that's sorted you'll have a better idea how to manage machine 2.

Easiest would be to copy off what you want to keep and then factory reset with format the machine, then copy back.
    If you don't have the space then copy off what you really want to keep, run the foxsat utility and hope it works.

In the meantime, install samba using package management from the browser connected to machine 1. This should allow you to see the foxsat-machine1 in windows file explorer under network and copy stuff back to windows 10, best if there's space, or connect an external usb drive to windows 10 and copy to that.
    For each recording there will be three files, copy all of them and for directories just copy them as they are whole. This may take hours so be aware of windows sleeping or hibernating. Don't copy the files 0.ts and 0.nts
    Alternatively as GLT suggests the FTP route, but samba and windows file explorer should be easier.

If you're currently using machine 1 or don't have sufficient down time, then by all means start on machine 2 instead, it's just that machine 1 looks less problematic and hopefully an easier learning curve.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 12:34:31 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bobmoore

Hi

Here are the figures for machine 1

total space 890.2 gb
    used 448.4 gb (50.4%)

Machine 2

Total space 431.8 gb
    used 285.6 gb (66.1%)

1.71 tg available on win 10 pc.

It has now got even worse on machine 1.

It's now has the same fault as machine 2 so I can't access any video or record.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 15:41:01 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bobmoore

As there is nothing of importance on machine 2 I have reformatted the disc.
    It now seems to be working.
    I can access videos and record.

So I now just need to sort the machine 1 out.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 15:50:14 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.