My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Can't get BBC4 HD on fvp-5000T

(21 posts)
  1. AuricMists

AuricMists

Hi, When I re-tune the FVP after freeview changes to channels, it won't tune in to BBC4 HD (ch 106). It registers as BBC4 on the channel selector but when I select the channel it just says that the receiver is not receiving a signal or the signal is too weak.
    The aerial cable feeds the TV through the FVP and the TV tunes into BBC4 HD OK, as do a handful of other devices I have that are connected to the same aerial (via an active splitter).
    It's been doing this for as long as I can remember.
    Also, the software is up-to-date.
    Has anyone else come across this issue or has a fix for it?

TIA

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 20:53:54 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What is the highest channel number (lcn) in your epg ?

Guessing auto tune is finding more than 1 transmitter.

If you have channel numbers over 800 that is the issue,

If you know the name of your preferred transmitter post it.

Otherwise post a full postcode of a public building close to your location

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 21:01:38 #2 |
  3. AuricMists

AuricMists

Graham, thanks. I found a signal on channel 838 that works. Problem solved.

Yes, there are 2 transmitters within the range of my aerial, Black Hill, in Central Scotland and Craigkelly in Fife, so the FVP must be assigning the 2 BBC4 channels to the other freeview channels that my other devices are assigned.
    This now begs the question, is there a way to manually assign a transmission channel to a Freeview channel? I doubt it but worth asking.

Thank you.

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 21:19:27 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AuricMists - 28 mins ago  » 
    Graham, thanks. I found a signal on channel 838 that works. Problem solved.
    Yes, there are 2 transmitters within the range of my aerial, Black Hill, in Central Scotland and Craigkelly in Fife, so the FVP must be assigning the 2 BBC4 channels to the other freeview channels that my other devices are assigned.
    This now begs the question, is there a way to manually assign a transmission channel to a Freeview channel? I doubt it but worth asking.
    Thank you.

No it's not.

Your request makes no sense.

You need to understand the difference between the logical channel numbers used on the epg, with the UHF carriers used to transmit the channels. One UHF carrier has multiple digital radio and TV carriers.

Your transmitter will use UHF carriers to provide multiple channels on each carrier.

Example for my transmitter

You will have major issues with series and accurate recordings. These rely on geting the recording codes from just one transmitter.

To fix this you need to provide the information requested, and then follow the simple instructions to manually tune your box.

See My transmitter

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Lark_Stoke

Scroll down to PSB-3

The channel numbers you would find are just for that transmitter and use UHF channel 30 to carry all the digital channels on that frequency (Mux)

You need to provide more information to help members to identify which UHF carriers to manual tune to resolve the issue.

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 21:51:21 #4 |
  5. AuricMists

AuricMists

I posted the requested information regarding the transmitters. My max channel number is 878. I don't mind which transmitter I get the signal from. If it is required then Craigkelly would be my choice. Is there anything else that is needed?

Do you mean a manual channel search? (I can find no way to manually "tune" an individual channel).
    I have tried to do a manual channel search on channel 55 (746MHz, 8MHz b/w) which is the same for both Black Hill and Cragkelly, but the results are no different than an automatic search.
    I have tried to find instructions to manually tune this box but none of the Humax manuals explains this in enough detail. How is the average user meant to know which channel to select, or the bandwidth or frequency to use for a missing freeview channel?
    Where else can I find these instructions? (Anything is easy if you know what you are doing or know where to find the information). The information I find is scattered around the internet and is sometimes contradictory so, for me at least, it is not a simple task having to find out what COM 7 or DVB-T2 or some other term means. It is also confusing having channels that are on the EPG and channels that signals are broadcast on. (Sorry for the rant but I have had it up to my neck with this problem hence reaching out for someone with more experience in this field than me).

P.S. Just saw your edit. Thank you for making it a bit clearer.

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 23:24:47 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AuricMists - 17 mins ago  » 
    Where else can I find these instructions?

There is a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section on this very forum; try the manual tuning FAQ at https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/manual-tuning-instructions-1 (Note the first link is out of date and is now https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management). Come back with any questions when you have had a go.

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 23:45:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

AuricMists:

Unfortunately you have spotted the problem with manual tuning COM7 (the Mux which carries BBC4 HD). Because all transmitters use UHF Channel 55 for it there is no way to distinguish between them.

The system is supposed to be able to cope with Single Frequency Network (SFN) working, but apparently not in your case.

About the only things you can do is use the 800 range version you have found or watch BBC4 in SD.

Unless you can find a way to reduce the Black Hill signal, that is about it I am afraid.

| Tue 5 Jan 2021 0:06:54 #7 |
  8. AuricMists

AuricMists

Hi Martin, thanks for that.
    Seems a bit of a long and destructive process.
    I also have my doubts as to whether it would resolve the issue since BBC4HD seems to be broadcast on the same UHF channel on both transmitters visible to my aerial.
    Also, still doesn't explain why the correct signal is assigned to the channel on my 3 TVs and my other 2 boxes, both of which are BT YouView boxes, (which are manufactured by Humax, if I am not mistaken).

I suspect that there is something wrong with the algorithm that does the assigning of the channels on the FVP models. If I tune to 106 and look at the signal test, both bars are at 0% but if I tune to channel 838, the signal test shows 100% on both bars. I would think that the algorithm should use the tuning with the stronger signal to assign to channel 106.

However, I think I will just leave things as they are and use channel 838 for viewing BBC4HD.

Thanks for your input.

| Tue 5 Jan 2021 0:25:59 #8 |
  9. AuricMists

AuricMists

A1944, thanks, you have just reinforced my understanding of the problem and my decision to leave things as they are.
    At least I have learned something and have a workaround.

P.S. How do I close a thread?

| Tue 5 Jan 2021 0:29:18 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AuricMists - 1 hour ago  » 
    Seems a bit of a long and destructive process.

Doesn't take much longer than the automatic tune once you have done it once.

I also have my doubts as to whether it would resolve the issue since BBC4HD seems to be broadcast on the same UHF channel on both transmitters visible to my aerial.

I have to confess I haven't done a manual tune since the COM7 HD mux moved to channel 55.

Also, still doesn't explain why the correct signal is assigned to the channel on my 3 TVs and my other 2 boxes, both of which are BT YouView boxes, (which are manufactured by Humax, if I am not mistaken).

I agree that the FVP tuning algorithm isn't great. Can I just check that when you are retuning that you are not using the Smart tune option (which in my experience is anything but Smart)?

| Tue 5 Jan 2021 1:33:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.