My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Change from wifi to Ethernet

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

Hello

Both of my 1100s boxes are connected to the Internet by wifi but I now want to change to Ethernet. I've gone into settings but when the software searches it only comes up with the wifi connection. Any idea how I can change from wifi to Ethernet.

Thanks

| Fri 10 Jun 2016 19:09:10 #1 |
  2. Davy

Davy

special member

nickcc - 3 hours ago  » 
    Hello
    Both of my 1100s boxes are connected to the Internet by wifi but I now want to change to Ethernet. I've gone into settings but when the software searches it only comes up with the wifi connection. Any idea how I can change from wifi to Ethernet.
    Thanks

I have the 1010s but when mine was connected to wifi only, I wanted to connect via Ethernet and did so which it now comes up as connected via Ethernet instead of the wifi . Is your Ethernet actually connected to your router as it must be to be able to use it. Maybe that's why it still says wifi instead?

| Fri 10 Jun 2016 22:12:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

Thanks for reply

Yes all plugged in, the other cable from the Ethernet splitter goes to the Now box and that recognises both wifi and Ethernet.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 8:46:06 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

nickcc - 36 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for reply
    Yes all plugged in, the other cable from the Ethernet splitter goes to the Now box and that recognises both wifi and Ethernet.

Try rebooting your router.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 9:23:04 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Ethernet splitter?
    Do you mean a splitter or a switch?
    A combiner (using two router ports) and a splitter must be used together with correctly wired 8 core cable.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 10:07:40 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

They are called network splitters on Amazon, one wired feed from the power line adaptor into the splitter and two out. As I said I get no problem with the now tv box working using the Ethernet cable from the other side of the splitter. I've tried re booting the Sky router but no joy. When I go in to settings then in to network connection all I get on the screen is 'great, you are connected via wifi' then when I click on connect automatically it still only comes up with my wifi connection.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 11:03:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Hmm! I'm not at all sure about the splitter you are using. A network switch is what you probably require. I have been reading the reviews of these splitters on Amazon and this is what I have found -

I notice that other reviewers have complained that this 'splitter' doesn't split - it just allows two network cables to be plugged in at the same time, but with only one of them working at once.[i]

Have you tried disconnecting the Sky NOW box and just using the single connection to your Humax?

I use one of THESE&tag=blusas008-21 - perfect.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 11:14:41 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

nickcc - 15 minutes ago  » 
    They are called network splitters on Amazon, one wired feed from the power line adaptor into the splitter and two out.

Do you mean something like this Link to Amazon? If so that simply will NOT work for what you are trying to do. You need a network switch such as Link to a suitable network switch on Amazon. To convince yourself plug the Humax into the port on the splitter used by the Now TV box. You should find it now works and if you plug the Now TV box into the other port it will not work.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 11:24:24 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Snap Martin re: posts - we are both on the same page. My link is for a switch with Gigabit ports though - I always prefer the redundancy.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 11:35:29 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Snap Martin re: posts - we are both on the same page. My link is for a switch with Gigabit ports though - I always prefer the redundancy.

I use Gigabit Ethernet where it will actually help (in my case moving large files around my internal network) but why pay more in this specific application where it will not make one jot of difference?

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 11:49:34 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.