My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Change from wifi to Ethernet

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

Tried the Freesat Ethernet cable in to the other side of the network splitter and it works ok, tried the now tv Ethernet cable in the side where the Freesat cable was and it doesn't work so, as per Amazon feedback, the splitters are no good.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 14:31:43 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

nickcc - 8 minutes ago  » 
    the splitters are no good.

The splitters have a very specific purpose and do work but not in the way you are trying to use them.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 14:41:48 #12 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You need two splitters to work the way you want.
    The first make TWO connection to a switch or router and connects to a single 8 core correctly connected Ethernet cable. The second connectes to the other end of the cable and splits it into two.
    I actually have two in use.

I don't know if a power line adapter would work instead of a cable. Anyone know?

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 14:47:25 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

I have to admit that most of the info I'm getting is loosing me. All I know is that with the splitter plugged in to the power line adaptor only one outlet works, this is when I only have one cable plugged into the splitter. Why wouldn't the Freesat cable work when it's the only one plugged in to the splitter as the splitter isn't splitting.

Thanks for the advice, think I'll return the splitters back to Amazon like the other purchaser did and stick to wifi.

Okay so I've now done what I should have done in the first place and read the sellers info. It seems that they're sold in pairs because you need both to be able to split the signal, it's just that I don't know how they're supposed to go. The seller states that you need one either end of your Ethernet cable but then no other info.
    Do they mean that one goes into the power line adaptor and the other goes into the Freesat box with the cable for the other box coming out of the second splitter in the Freesat box.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 15:13:15 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

nickcc - 24 minutes ago  » 
    I have to admit that most of the info I'm getting is loosing me. All I know is that with the splitter plugged in to the power line adaptor only one outlet works, this is when I only have one cable plugged into the splitter. Why wouldn't the Freesat cable work when it's the only one plugged in to the splitter as the splitter isn't splitting.

The splitters are using the fact that 100 Mb/s ethernet only uses four of the wires in an ethernet cable which actually has eight wires. One of the outlets on the splitter will be using the standard four wires but the other outlet will be connected to the four non standard wires that will carry no signal. They really shouldn't be marketed as splitters; it isn't what they do.

Thanks for the advice, think I'll return the splitters back to Amazon like the other purchaser did and stick to wifi.

Get a network switch for not much more than £5 and it will all work as you expect and is a plug it together and forget about it solution..

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 15:42:55 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

Thanks for the above post, edited mine whilst you were posting.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 15:45:05 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

REPASSAC - 56 minutes ago  » 
    I don't know if a power line adapter would work instead of a cable. Anyone know?

I am not sure what you are asking; you can get power line adapters with multiple network ports (I have some with two ports and some with three ports) and these will work in this case (effectively the adapter has a built in switch).

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 15:47:52 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

nickcc - 47 minutes ago  » 
    Do they mean that one goes into the power line adaptor and the other goes into the Freesat box with the cable for the other box coming out of the second splitter in the Freesat box.

No. Lets try one more time they won't help in your particular case. They are used typically where you have a long ethernet cable and you want two devices at the far end. You have one "splitter" at the router end and you connect two ethernet cables from the "splitter" to different ports on the router. At the other end of the cable you have another "splitter" and you connect two ethernet cables from the ports on the splitter to the two different devices. It would be better called a combiner as it is really combining the signals for two ethernet cables into one.

By the way the switch that I have suggested is not a physical switch; you can use all the connected devices simultaneously (the "switching" is purely electronic and internal to the switch).

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 16:09:02 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I've got headache now. OP, you have been provided with a first class reliable cheap solution so not sure why we are still having this conversation. It's simple, you have purchased the wrong item for what you want to acheive.

You need to purchase the devices which both Martin and I have shown you. As to which one it has to be your choice. The cheaper one is slower than the one I provided the link for but is fast enough for what you want to do.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 16:33:26 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

Thank you

I may not understand most of what is being said but like to learn that's why I kept asking questions. You'll be pleased to know that I've now ordered two network switches

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 18:46:41 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.