My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Change from wifi to Ethernet

(29 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Martin Liddle - 3 hours ago  » 

nickcc - 47 minutes ago  » 
    Do they mean that one goes into the power line adaptor and the other goes into the Freesat box with the cable for the other box coming out of the second splitter in the Freesat box.

No. Lets try one more time they won't help in your particular case. They are used typically where you have a long ethernet cable and you want two devices at the far end. You have one "splitter" at the router end and you connect two ethernet cables from the "splitter" to different ports on the router. At the other end of the cable you have another "splitter" and you connect two ethernet cables from the ports on the splitter to the two different devices. It would be better called a combiner as it is really combining the signals for two ethernet cables into one.
    By the way the switch that I have suggested is not a physical switch; you can use all the connected devices simultaneously (the "switching" is purely electronic and internal to the switch).

Exact and correct.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 19:59:40 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

nickcc - 2 hours ago  » 
    You'll be pleased to know that I've now ordered two network switches

Good; as a matter of interest why two switches?

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 20:49:54 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

I've got two 1100s boxes and three now tv boxes, one now box is used with Freesat for Sky using one of my original Sky HD boxes.

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 21:15:44 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

nickcc - 12 minutes ago  » 
    I've got two 1100s boxes and three now tv boxes, one now box is used with Freesat for Sky using one of my original Sky HD boxes.

A network switch has a number of sockets. Any one socket is used to connect to the cable to your router. You say you have 5 items so any network switch with 6 or more sockets will connect all of them to your network with just one cable back to your router.

All you need is a short cat 5 cable to a spare socket on the switch for each item you want to connect. Your router itself will also have a network switch built in (That's how it has more than one ethernet socket).

eg

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-100-8-Port-Network-Switch/dp/B0000YQ3LG&tag=blusas008-21

| Sat 11 Jun 2016 21:33:55 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

I presumed I needed two switches as I have one Freesat box and now box in the lounge and the other Freesat box and now box in the study, the sky box and remaining now box are in the kitchen which will remain on wifi. None of the boxes are hard wired back to the router as I have two sets of power line adaptors, would have used just one set with three units but first set was bought some years ago and extra unit no longer available.

| Sun 12 Jun 2016 8:36:51 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

nickcc - 1 hour ago  » 
    I presumed I needed two switches as I have one Freesat box and now box in the lounge and the other Freesat box and now box in the study, the sky box and remaining now box are in the kitchen which will remain on wifi. None of the boxes are hard wired back to the router as I have two sets of power line adaptors

OK is this is all new information and yes two switches is the way to go.

| Sun 12 Jun 2016 9:41:57 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

nickcc - 1 hour ago  » 
    I presumed I needed two switches as I have one Freesat box and now box in the lounge and the other Freesat box and now box in the study, the sky box and remaining now box are in the kitchen which will remain on wifi. None of the boxes are hard wired back to the router as I have two sets of power line adaptors, would have used just one set with three units but first set was bought some years ago and extra unit no longer available.

In that case given the geography then you are better off with your multiple switch order. I have my TP gigabit switch in the lounge. I have five devices connected to it with one Ethernet cable going into my Homeplug. At the other end upstairs I have another Homeplug which feeds into the router. Once you achieve a similar setup you can simply forget about them. They will work seamlessly in the background, usually trouble free for years.

| Sun 12 Jun 2016 9:42:36 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Faust - 56 seconds ago  » 

nickcc - 1 hour ago  » 

In that case given the geography then you are better off with your multiple switch order. I have my TP gigabit switch in the lounge. I have five devices connected to it with one Ethernet cable going into my Homeplug. At the other end upstairs I have another Homeplug which feeds into the router. Once you achieve a similar setup you can simply forget about them. They will work seamlessly in the background, usually trouble free for years.

BTW if you stick to the same make of Homeplug then usually even if they are no longer made you can still add the newer ones to your network. The ones I own are 200mbps - they are no longer made but I could add the newer 500mbps to the network.

| Sun 12 Jun 2016 9:46:07 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

Just for info. When I bought the first set of power line adaptors the router was in the hall and I needed the other end in the lounge. What I didn't bank on was that the hall and lounge were fed from different distribution boards so the adaptors couldn't work, no problem now as all the bungalow now connected to one distribution board.

| Sun 12 Jun 2016 10:05:04 #29 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.