My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Changing and adding transponders to a satellite

(47 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

On the same topic see

http://skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html

Note the comment re Eurobird 1 - May 27th.

| Thu 4 Jun 2015 23:02:33 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

malcolm_c

There appears to be two configurations here: the transponder list (frequency, polarisation, data rate, multiplex, error correction) and the broadcast channels on each transponder. It is the case that the broadcast channel allocation may change, and given the transponder list you can scan through each transponder to find the channels. However the transponder list cannot change (it implies a hardware change to the satellite itself). The only change can come from new satellites; either entirely new in the case of TurkSat at 42E, or added to a cluster.

This is the problem I am having; that an entirely new satellite has been added, but the FoxSat does not correctly allow changes to the transponder list or a new satellite transponder list to be saved. This is a fundamental blunder in software that should have been correct at the time, tested at QA and ought to have a bug fix.

The impression is that others have met this bug, but given up in frustration, as getting to the menu option is hidden and needs information from Humax, and then given up and maybe gone and bought a different manufacturer receiver in the hope that the functionality is better supported.

| Fri 5 Jun 2015 9:26:51 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

malcolm_c

Thanks for the information. This explains the poor performance on CBS Action that I have noticed.

| Fri 5 Jun 2015 9:32:48 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Devonian

Thanks for the reply, sorry I was wrong to say Freeview when I should have said Astra 2. The location is near Figueras and we are in a complete dead spot.

The setup is a communal feed using two Disecq feeds. A is on Astra 1 (19.2) with a 80cm dish and B is on Astra 2 28.2 with a 1.3Mtr Dish. This dish was increased in size by the installer but could still not receive the UK beam. However it gives full strength on all the European beams.

We have, of course lost all BBC and ITV transmissions but I can get Sky News (almost advert free) and other news channels on 19.2 but now that more FTA sky channels have moved to the European beam I would like to receive all these channels.

I get good reception for all transponders in the Astra 2 listing but there are two or three new transponders and I want to add these to the list.

When the Humax scans for all channels it only looks at the frequencies in the transponder list and skips the new ones. There are not many channels that are worth watching but there are some film channels and these are on the new transponders.

I can edit the transponder list but when I select "Save" there is an unreadable blue message flashed for a fraction of a second and the listing is not modified.

I am in the UK at present but will be returning to Spain later in the year and I was hoping to find a solution that I could take down and install then. I noticed that in another forum there was a reply some years ago that said that he could add transponders with no problems and I wondered if the problem was only with recent firmware updates.

| Fri 5 Jun 2015 9:44:25 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Devonian

Thanks Graham, I have only just got around to looking at your referenced site, it looks as if there won't be many worth while channels on the European beam anyway, I can only wait and see.

| Fri 5 Jun 2015 10:02:22 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Devonian - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply, sorry I was wrong to say Freeview when I should have said Astra 2. The location is near Figueras and we are in a complete dead spot.
    The setup is a communal feed using two Disecq feeds. A is on Astra 1 (19.2) with a 80cm dish and B is on Astra 2 28.2 with a 1.3Mtr Dish. This dish was increased in size by the installer but could still not receive the UK beam. However it gives full strength on all the European beams.
    We have, of course lost all BBC and ITV transmissions but I can get Sky News (almost advert free) and other news channels on 19.2 but now that more FTA sky channels have moved to the European beam I would like to receive all these channels.
    I get good reception for all transponders in the Astra 2 listing but there are two or three new transponders and I want to add these to the list.
    When the Humax scans for all channels it only looks at the frequencies in the transponder list and skips the new ones. There are not many channels that are worth watching but there are some film channels and these are on the new transponders.
    I can edit the transponder list but when I select "Save" there is an unreadable blue message flashed for a fraction of a second and the listing is not modified.
    I am in the UK at present but will be returning to Spain later in the year and I was hoping to find a solution that I could take down and install then. I noticed that in another forum there was a reply some years ago that said that he could add transponders with no problems and I wondered if the problem was only with recent firmware updates.

Confused by your reply.

Sky is a broadcaster, it has virtually no free to air content. Pretty well all Sky's own channels require a sky box and a suitable viewing card.

All the channels who pay to be included in the Freesat epg have to be free to air. Sky has one channel on the Freesat epg ( 202 Sky News).

When you say it ignores the new ones you are adding, that could simply mean there is no reception.

When you add a new transponder to the list you should see if your box indicates signal strength and quality. When you scan the single transponder it will find any free to air content and if you save the channels will be added to your non-freesat channel list. It will have no effect at all on Freesat mode operation.

Can you post which transponders you are trying to add to the non freesat database and which channels you are expecting to get and why you think these are now on a PE beam ?

Before you go any further can you check if you have freesat channel 999. If you have go ahead and carry out a freesat retune (not a manual tune). If you can't get 999 don't try a retune post again with the above requested information.

| Fri 5 Jun 2015 10:12:57 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Devonian

Thanks Graham,

I refer you to Lyngsat 28.2 channel listing. This lists all channels above 11222 H as being Sky owned and on one or other of the European beams. As I said, I am unable to receive any signal on the UK beam i.e. all freesat signals, so I will not be able to receive Freesat 999 if this is on the UK beam.

I checked which transponders were scanned during the tuning scan and all that were listed were included and the channels added to the channel listing. However the list did not include several transponders listed by Lyngsat and I assumed that these has been added since I purchased the Humax.

As the receiver is in Spain and I am in the UK I can't actually test this until I return to Spain later in the year. I was hoping to obtain some suggestions via this forum on how to overcome the problem then.

From your reply I gather that you can edit the Transponder listing on your system. Did you do this in the extended manual mode or in the standard Freesat mode. I have only tried editing after entering the extended search mode. Perhaps I should try editing it before entering the extended menu via RGYBGYB. I would expect the same listing to be used for both modes.

If you can let me know how you did this I will try to duplicate your sequence of inputs.

When I changed the frequency and polarity via the edit mode there was no signal indicated even though the working channels gave full strength and quality.

Selecting the "Save" did not result in any change in the listing.

I think the transponder I tried to select was 12633 H but I can't be sure about this.

The impression I got was that it would not tune to this frequency until it was listed for the satellite.

Unfortunately I had only a limited time to experiment whilst in Spain as the dish had been displaced by high winds before I arrived as it is on top of a three story block and it was only re-aligned just before I returned to the UK.

| Fri 5 Jun 2015 15:18:59 #27 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No it does not, it merely indicates the specific broadcaster pays Sky to be included on the Sky epg. Those also on the Freesat epg are marked as Freesat. Those on both shoud be dual marked. The appropriate epg(s) data is transmitted along with the actual broadcast.

If you were to setup your Foxsat in the UK, the freesat database would be corrected. If you then took your box to Spain and you were still able to receive the freesat home transponder it would be kept up to date otherwise it would gradually be kept up to date. That doesn't mean you will be able to view these if the actual transponders can't be received. At the same time any new transponders from a freesat change should be reflected in the non-freesat database. That doesn't mean they will added to the non freesat channel list. You have to do that yourself.

If you have details of two transponders that are used only by broadcasters with no Freesat presence, I can try adding them to non-freesat and report if both transponders are viewable and recordable. It has certainly worked OK in the past, for a long time STV-HD wasn't available on Freesat, but could be viewed by adding the appropriate transponder to the non freesat database.

It doesn't matter which mode you are in when editing the NON-FREESAT channel database. It has no effect on the channels available in Freesat mode. The Freesat home transponder is still on EB1, when it moves we don't know if it will finish up on a PE or UK spot beam.

I can't edit freesat channel data I can though extract a current list from my box for my postcode.

I will add 12633 H to my non freesat mode and report what channels I get,

| Fri 5 Jun 2015 16:00:39 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Right that transponder is already in the list. euronews on Freesat channel 204 is on that transponder. My Foxsat says 12662 H 22000 5/6. Signal Strength and quality is 100/100%.

Scanning that transponder from Manual Tune

Adds 14 channels (including Euronews already available in Freesat mode)

Because that transponder is already in the database if you try and add it you get no signal.

If you suggest another I can add that as well.

I don't have another orbital point so I can't set up diseqc switching.

Attachments

1. ManualTune.jpg (284.6 KB, 2 downloads) 8 years old
    | Fri 5 Jun 2015 16:28:31 #29 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I have had a look at Lyngsat, adding the Sky or Freesat logo to a transponder is entirely misleading. Look at the first transponder in the list, it is marked Freesat which is not a broadcaster at all. They do not own any channels, they solely exist as a epg service provider. In fact all the channels on that transponder belong to Channel 4. They will be renting this transponder from SES AStra. The same channels will also be found on the Sky epg.

Now look at transponder 64, It has the Freesat logo. The first two channels are owned by STV and UTV, the last two by ITV. The former are available on the Freesat epg (subject to postcode), the latter only on the Sky epg (and require a subscription).

Have a look at kingofsat, they correctly identify which channels can be found on the respective epgs.

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

| Fri 5 Jun 2015 17:10:30 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.