My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Connect to internet using TP-Link WR802N

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

steveb60

Hi Martin

I checked the DHCP client list on the WR802N and it tells me there are no devices connected. However, I have my laptop also connected to the WR820N via WAN and can connect happily to the internet.
    There is a facility on the WR802N to check wireless connections and my laptop shows up there. There is sadly no similar facility to check for LAN connections.
    I have tried setting the primary DNS to 208.67.220.220, still the same result.
    There must be something very simple that I'm overlooking...

Thanks

Steve.

| Sun 5 Mar 2017 16:53:26 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

steveb60 - 6 hours ago  » 
    I checked the DHCP client list on the WR802N and it tells me there are no devices connected. However, I have my laptop also connected to the WR820N via WAN and can connect happily to the internet.

Is it using DHCP or a fixed IP address?

I have tried setting the primary DNS to 208.67.220.220, still the same result.
    There must be something very simple that I'm overlooking...

Have you tried the rather obvious remedy of putting the Humax into standby and turning the power off for 10 seconds. It is reported that the networking stack can get confused and the only way to reset it is to power cycle the box.

| Sun 5 Mar 2017 22:58:59 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

steveb60

Hi Martin

I have tried both DHCP and fixed IP address and the result is the same.
    I turned the box off for an hour, still the same.
    I guess I'll have to try a factory reset.

Thanks

Steve.

| Mon 6 Mar 2017 10:23:56 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

steveb60 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have tried both DHCP and fixed IP address and the result is the same.

My question was whether the laptop is obtaining its address via DHCP and I am not sure if that is the question you are answering?

| Mon 6 Mar 2017 11:53:24 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

steveb60 - 1 day ago  » 
    By the way, I have tested the setup by connecting my laptop using the WR802N and it works perfectly, internet access as usual.

steveb60 - 18 hours ago  » 
    There is a facility on the WR802N to check wireless connections and my laptop shows up there.

When you tested the client mode setup with your laptop did you disable the WiFi on your laptop? This would show that the laptop's internet connection was coming via the Ethernet cable.
    I.e. The issue may be because the client mode setup is not working yet.

Most laptops either have a hotkey combination or a physical switch to disable and re-enable WiFi.

| Mon 6 Mar 2017 11:57:15 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 
    Most laptops either have a hotkey combination or a physical switch to disable and re-enable WiFi.

I also found the other day that some (but not all) wireless adapters have an optional driver setting to disable WiFi when a cable is connected to the ethernet port.

| Mon 6 Mar 2017 13:23:25 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 

I also found the other day that some (but not all) wireless adapters have an optional driver setting to disable WiFi when a cable is connected to the ethernet port.

I just thought that using the hotkey or switch would be without risk of knobling the laptop compared to adjusting any of the settings.

| Mon 6 Mar 2017 16:42:47 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 
    I just thought that using the hotkey or switch would be without risk of knobling the laptop compared to adjusting any of the settings.

I agree; it was just a driver setting I stumbled across last week that does exactly what I happen to want and I didn't know existed before; probably off topic for this thread.

| Mon 6 Mar 2017 18:36:44 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

On both my laptops (Windows 10) left clicking on the WiFi icon bottom right brings up a list of Wifi SSID's in range. Left clicking on the connected one has a disconnect option. Repeating offers re-connect option.

| Mon 6 Mar 2017 18:48:16 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

steveb60

Luke - 23 hours ago  » 

steveb60 - 1 day ago  » 
    By the way, I have tested the setup by connecting my laptop using the WR802N and it works perfectly, internet access as usual.

steveb60 - 18 hours ago  » 
    There is a facility on the WR802N to check wireless connections and my laptop shows up there.

When you tested the client mode setup with your laptop did you disable the WiFi on your laptop? This would show that the laptop's internet connection was coming via the Ethernet cable.
    I.e. The issue may be because the client mode setup is not working yet.

Hi Luke
    Yes, I disabled WiFi on my laptop and was able to connect to the internet via the LAN cable.
    I'm running Windows 10 so I just switched WiFi off in settings.
    Thanks
    Steve.

| Tue 7 Mar 2017 11:48:54 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.