My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Copy function still unresolved.

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Why do the G2 freesat boxes still have no capacity to copy (SD) programmes to a USB thumb drive or an external HDD?

I can copy programmes to a USB thumb drive or external HDD (SD) from my Freeview 2000T ad-infinitum and the same applies with the FVP4000T.

All the boxes are Humax and yet the Freesat version has been hobbled. I assume it has something to do with Freesat rather than Humax but the question is WHY?

| Fri 26 Feb 2016 16:11:52 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Does no one know the answer to this issue?

| Fri 26 Feb 2016 23:52:49 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Is there an issue?

Presumably it's not required by the Freesat spec. End of story.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 9:50:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 45 minutes ago  » 
    Is there an issue?
    Presumably it's not required by the Freesat spec. End of story.

It just seems odd that with almost any other PVR (Freeview SD) copying is a standard function. Taken together with the lack of DLNA server function (client only) it does make the product less attractive by comparison.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 10:38:25 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

More people buy Freeview boxes than Freesat boxes, so there's more potential sales, and more manufacturers competing for those sales. Humax Freesat has little competition.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 10:55:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 
    More people buy Freeview boxes than Freesat boxes, so there's more potential sales, and more manufacturers competing for those sales. Humax Freesat has little competition.

I would argue that one doesn't increase sales by making a product 'less attractive' to the consumer. I do find Freesat sales and marketing to be in an almost perpetual state of torpor.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 12:43:28 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Faust - 13 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

I would argue that one doesn't increase sales by making a product 'less attractive' to the consumer.

Sure you can. If not including a particular feature reduces the price, and/or brings forward launch date, you gain some sales and lose others for whom the feature is a must-have. In this particular calculation (Freesat G2), you're probably going to gain more than you lose, due to Humax being practically the only choice and the fact that a lot of the potential buyers wouldn't even be interested in a feature like copying to USB.

Speaking for myself, copying SD programmes to USB is not a very attractive feature since the programmes in question will almost certainly come round again, saving me the bother. A DLNA server would be a much more attractive feature, but only if it worked properly which actually doesn't seem all that likely.

I do find Freesat sales and marketing to be in an almost perpetual state of torpor.

The boxes must sell well enough to be profitable, else high-street shops wouldn't give them shelf space.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 13:14:36 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Ah! the question is though - would there be a cost implication or have the boxes been purposely hobbled? The Humax have two USB ports exactly like their Freeview brothers and sisters so is this missing option due to hardware or simply software coding?

I would argue that you are perhaps in a minority regarding copying if this and other forums are anything to go by. Yes programmes come around again quite true, but how long does one have to wait? I recorded and copied a classic film a few years back that I first saw over forty years ago - I have never seen it screened since until then. That's a hell of a long time to wait for a repeat.

Anything I think I may enjoy in years to come I now set to record on my HDR 2000T not the 1000s so that I can archive to my NAS where I am slowly building up a collection of 'must have media'.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 15:27:52 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Ah! the question is though - would there be a cost implication or have the boxes been purposely hobbled?

Of course there would be a cost implication, leaving out the feature means not having to get it to work in the new box, means one less possible cause of box replacement, etc.

The Humax have two USB ports exactly like their Freeview brothers and sisters so is this missing option due to hardware or simply software coding?

The presence of a USB port tells you nothing about what a box is programmed to do with the port. The Humax YouView box also has two USB ports, extremely unlikely ever to be used for SD archiving.

I would argue that you are perhaps in a minority regarding copying if this and other forums are anything to go by

Possibly. That's probably not what Humax goes by.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 15:55:07 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If you look at the specifications of the Humax international satellite units in the main they similar feature sets.
    I would expect that Humax maintain mastercode for these units and customise the U.I. to the locale and, in the case of freesat, their wishes.

It is my view that the copy to external medium function and perhaps the DLNA server was not desired by freesat.

A clue exists in that you can import (copy) and then export, previously imported content.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 16:07:03 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.