My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Copy function still unresolved.

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Well given Humax already have the copy feature on other models I very much doubt there would/is a cost implication or if there is it is negligible.

I've never to my knowledge known of a box have to be replaced because the copy feature wasn't working. No, this is not about cost, it is simply a decision taken by Freesat to not include the feature for reasons unknown.

As said before I am lucky enough to be able to copy from my two Freeview PVRs but the lack of this feature on the Freesat version does make it less attractive in my eyes.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 16:10:53 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

A clue exists in that you can import (copy) and then export, previously imported content.

Absolutely correct - I had forgotten about that. Yes, it's definitely a commercial decision (knowing Freesat probably one taken by committee).

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 16:14:03 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

REPASSAC - 12 minutes ago  » 
    It is my view that the copy to external medium function and perhaps the DLNA server was not desired by freesat.

I agree, it's entirely possible Freesat didn't want either.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 16:30:22 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Faust - 16 minutes ago  » 

A clue exists in that you can import (copy) and then export, previously imported content.

Absolutely correct - I had forgotten about that. Yes, it's definitely a commercial decision (knowing Freesat probably one taken by committee).

Of course it's a commercial decision!

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 16:31:27 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

...this is not about cost, it is simply a decision taken by Freesat to not include the feature for reasons unknown.

I'd say it's pretty obvious why Freesat might not want their content copied.

As for cost, it's always a factor.

As said before I am lucky enough to be able to copy from my two Freeview PVRs but the lack of this feature on the Freesat version does make it less attractive in my eyes.

...but not to the point of losing the sale.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 16:44:24 #15 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The trend seems to be to make content playable around the house (SKYQ, etc) as opposed to copying.

Like JamesB, I would be very happy with a good DLNA server.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 17:29:28 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 6 hours ago  » 

...this is not about cost, it is simply a decision taken by Freesat to not include the feature for reasons unknown.

I'd say it's pretty obvious why Freesat might not want their content copied.
    As for cost, it's always a factor.

...but not to the point of losing the sale.

Given Freesat simply provide the EPG then why is it pretty obvious they wouldn't want broadcasters SD recordings copied given you can copy the same programmes via Freeview - I don't follow your logic.

I still maintain cost isn't an issue especially as we don't actually know there is a cost or if there is it could be tiny.

I purchased the Freesat box as it has access to channels the Freeview box didn't and vice versa - that way I get the best overall mix.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 23:48:17 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

REPASSAC - 6 hours ago  » 
    The trend seems to be to make content playable around the house (SKYQ, etc) as opposed to copying.
    Like JamesB, I would be very happy with a good DLNA server.

My Synology acts as a good DLNA server, the HDR 2000T is supposed to serve but I couldn't recommend it. Our Panasonic HWT-120 serves very nicely to our Panasonic TV but can sometimes be a bit flaky with other kit - usually container issues.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 23:53:40 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Given Freesat simply provide the EPG then why is it pretty obvious they wouldn't want broadcasters SD recordings copied given you can copy the same programmes via Freeview - I don't follow your logic.

Freesat don't "simply provide the EPG". Freesat = BBC + ITV. ITV, especially, has good reason not to be enthusiastic about SD copying of its programmes, given that it has an extensive SD back catalogue which it relies on heavily, week in, week out, to fill the schedule.

Having control of the boxes potentially gives them control over copying. Whether they actually exercise that control, I have no idea, but it wouldn't be surprising.

I purchased the Freesat box as it has access to channels the Freeview box didn't and vice versa - that way I get the best overall mix.

Indeedy. Lack of the USB copying feature did not result in loss of the sale.

| Sun 28 Feb 2016 1:04:14 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 13 hours ago  » 

Freesat don't "simply provide the EPG". Freesat = BBC + ITV. ITV, especially, has good reason not to be enthusiastic about SD copying of its programmes, given that it has an extensive SD back catalogue which it relies on heavily, week in, week out, to fill the schedule.
    Having control of the boxes potentially gives them control over copying. Whether they actually exercise that control, I have no idea, but it wouldn't be surprising.

Indeedy. Lack of the USB copying feature did not result in loss of the sale.

Had I not already had Freeview plus then I would not have invested in Freesat - due to the lack of copying facility.

Now to break this circular response that you have embarked on. You say the big five terrestrial providers are not happy about SD copying which is one reason it might not be included with the Freesat spec. Why then is copying a part of most Freeview plus PVRs - there's simply no logic to your replies.

I realise the Youview boxes are locked but I suspect that had more to do with the original concept around the box when Sugar and Co were still involved.

| Sun 28 Feb 2016 14:36:10 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.