My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Copying files from a HDR-1800T 320GB to my Desktop

(6 posts)
  1. Apologia

Apologia

Hello everybody from North Wales ... Croeso! (That's Welsh)

We have inherited an almost unused HDR 1800T 320Gb which is, believe it or not, my first encounter with digital recording from tellies, Hi Def and "boxes" which won't balance on the top of our TV. Ours is a Set-Underneath-Box.

Freeview HD works beautifully!

I have "ethernetted" the 1800T to my router, my PC can see it as a media server and Windows Media Player can see the files on the Humax’s hard disk! So far so good! The hard disk is filling up and I would like to copy/move the files onto my PC’s external USB hard disk via t'router and wi-fi (to free up space for more recording). Windows Media Player can also see my external USB hard disk. BUT can I find a way to copy files directly from the Humax to my PC? Absolutely NOT, no way, never in a million years … well, I have only been trying every day for a few months now (re: lockdowns). Different software hasn’t helped either. Is this fixable folks? Is it a problem on my side or just the way life is with Humax tech or Windows 10 or LAN’s or … Windows tries very hard to connect but maintains that the Humax is rejecting its overtures!

Without wanting anyone to write an essay ...

1. what are my options for transferring the files themselves rather than streaming to my PC and recording them (again)? I am quite capable of fitting a bigger hard disk – I used to build PC’s!
    2. I noticed the Humax has a USB port on the back. Can I put in an old PC USB wi-fi dongle and bypass the ethernet cabling?
    3. Could the USB port take an external hard disk and save recordings straight to that instead?
    4. What would be the maximum size disk the Humax could work with, internally or via USB port? Any particular type or form factor needed?
    5. Indeed, is the internal disk upgradable?
    6. What is the meaning of life, and finally
    7. Could you please send me the winning numbers for the next UK lottery draw … please?

Hope you can cope with all my questions ... and my sense of humour!

Simon

| Mon 28 Dec 2020 16:54:31 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Apologia - 2 hours ago  » 
    1. what are my options for transferring the files themselves rather than streaming to my PC and recording them (again)? I am quite capable of fitting a bigger hard disk – I used to build PC’s!

All recordings on the HDR-1800T are encrypted and in their encrypted state can only be played by the HDDR-1800T that recorded them.
    If you were to attach a USB flash drive or a USB external HDD then you could copy recordings to the drive using the functions on the HDR-1800T. Any standard or Radio recordings will be very slow to export to the drive as the HDR-1800T will decrypt the copy. If you use FTP directly to a PC the transfer will be a lot faster but none of the recordings will be decrypted.

Before you copy the HD recordings to the USB Flash, or USB HDD, then you could use a 3rd party piece of software called foxy to tweak one of the recording's internal flags. If you did this then the HD programmes would also be decrypted on USB copy. Details about foxy can be found on another Humax forum called hummy.tv.

2. I noticed the Humax has a USB port on the back. Can I put in an old PC USB wi-fi dongle and bypass the ethernet cabling?

Although the HDR-1800T is like a computer it only has two drivers for wi-fi dongles and so you will need to try them out to see if they work.

3. Could the USB port take an external hard disk and save recordings straight to that instead?

Yes. And that is the preferred method by some as the radio and standard definition recordings will be decrypted on copy (and also the HD ones if you use foxy on each one of then you want decrypted).
    You could even use a USB hub for multiple external drives. The manual for the HDR-1800T lists the maximum power that can be supplied without issue somewhere towards the back of the manual.
    Any Wi-Fi dongle will need to be attached to the USB port directly and cannot be used via a USB hub.

4. What would be the maximum size disk the Humax could work with, internally or via USB port? Any particular type or form factor needed?

GMT drives are not supported.
    Suggest you look in the forum and the FAQs for the HDR-1800T for the implications of that and other associated details.
    That one should be easy to locate and you may learn other things that may be useful.

Yes, but not with a GMT drive.
    See the HDR-1800T forum on this site and hummy.tv

To attempt to be polite when some one asks questions which probably
    have been answered before and they could have got not just the answer but also other associated detail by looking on the relevant site section themselves.

| Mon 28 Dec 2020 19:27:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Do you mean GMT drives Luke, if so what are they please? Or are you referring to drives over 2TB that would require GPT style partition tables?

| Mon 28 Dec 2020 21:08:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 
    Do you mean GMT drives Luke, if so what are they please? Or are you referring to drives over 2TB that would require GPT style partition tables?

Thanks. Yes I did mean GPT.

| Mon 28 Dec 2020 23:09:46 #4 |
  5. Apologia

Apologia

Hello to you all again, especially special 'agents' Luke & Martin.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right directions. I wasn't aware a manual was still available for our 1800T, so I have downloaded it ... 62 pages of "gold".

I think for bulk copying, and as you suggested, an external USB hard disk is the best option. Having said that I have discovered a way of copying, or should I say downloading, single files from our 1800T to my PC via the '1800T to ethernet to router to wi-fi to wi-fi booster/extender to PC' route.

I apologise in advance if I am now telling you stuff which is already known.

I use two pieces of software ie Windows Media Player and/or VLC (great bit of kit - deserves a serious look at).

METHOD 1
    Using VLC in View -> Playlist I show the folder tree on my 1800T uPNP device. I selected the helpfully named 'name of program date & time.ts' name, right click -> Information, copy the location address noting that the file name is now an unhelpful 'number.ts' thus -

http://XXX.XXX.X.XXX:9000/web/media/92.TS

The X's are the IP address for our 1800T - replace with yours.

Copy and paste this into your browser address bar (Chrome in my case) press return and, viola, the file eventually downloads. A 500Mb file took about 3 minutes for a half hour episode of The Big Bang

METHOD 2
    Using WMPlayer, find the file again, right click -> Properties, copy the location which this time is -

http://XXX.XXX.X.XXX:9000/web/media/92.TS?WMContentFeatures=DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_TS_SD_JP_MPEG1_L2_T;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01100000000000000000000000000000&WMHME=1&WMDuration=17890000000&WMQ=1&WMHMETitle=VABoAGUAIABCAGkAZwAgAEIAYQBuAGcAIABUAGgAZQBvAHIAeQBfADIAMAAyADAAMQAyADIAMQBfADEAOAAzADAALgB0AHMA

NB This is all 1 line.

Do the same with Chrome and the file 92.TS is saved as 92.TTS in your default Chrome download folder. I would guess all the extra gubbins in the address is encode/decode/encrypt/decrypt instructions or such like for either my 1800T or for Chrome, I don't know which.

Both the .Ts and .Tts files played almost instantaneously in VLC. I would think that VLC would mean more to yourselves because a lot of it is meaningless to me, so I kept with all the defaults. Is open source and available for loads of platforms (but not 9 3/4). More info - https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

This is a piecemeal approach but I am sure someone could invent a concatenation routine or script to download a series/sequence of files.

And, even though he/she probably isn't, Bob's/Bobina's your uncle/aunty!

Simon

| Wed 30 Dec 2020 12:40:07 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

highlysceptical

Apologia - 8 mnths ago  » 
    Hello everybody from North Wales ... Croeso! (That's Welsh)
    We have inherited an almost unused HDR 1800T 320Gb which is, believe it or not, my first encounter with digital recording from tellies, Hi Def and "boxes" which won't balance on the top of our TV. Ours is a Set-Underneath-Box.
    Freeview HD works beautifully!
    I have "ethernetted" the 1800T to my router, my PC can see it as a media server and Windows Media Player can see the files on the Humax’s hard disk! So far so good! The hard disk is filling up and I would like to copy/move the files onto my PC’s external USB hard disk via t'router and wi-fi (to free up space for more recording). Windows Media Player can also see my external USB hard disk. BUT can I find a way to copy files directly from the Humax to my PC? Absolutely NOT, no way, never in a million years … well, I have only been trying every day for a few months now (re: lockdowns). Different software hasn’t helped either. Is this fixable folks? Is it a problem on my side or just the way life is with Humax tech or Windows 10 or LAN’s or … Windows tries very hard to connect but maintains that the Humax is rejecting its overtures!
    Without wanting anyone to write an essay ...
    7. Could you please send me the winning numbers for the next UK lottery draw … please?
    Hope you can cope with all my questions ... and my sense of humour!
    Simon

You can use my download utility to be found at Admin Edit: Link removed, read https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/removal-of-certain-links-and-posts

| Tue 14 Sep 2021 21:21:56 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.