My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

copying to usb problem

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

thegenegenie

Hello all, so,on my 4000t I'd copied a couple of programmes to usb with no problems, but now when I try to do it, it seems to copy the file to it's own hard drive instead of the usb and I end up with two copies in the recordings list, tried using different usb's but same result. Anyone had this happen? Anyone know how to stop it happening?

| Wed 4 Apr 2018 11:11:25 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

Similar problem.
    The usb gets recognised but when I try to copy or move it says it is copying but nothing happens ... then I cannot access the usb.

| Thu 10 May 2018 17:47:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

thegenegenie

After some trial and error, actually a LOT of error, I worked out that the programme was copying to the usb no problem, it just seems that where the file actually goes on the usb is a bit random.

| Thu 10 May 2018 18:30:34 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

The usb drive has to have it's own power supply. I tried a usb stick and it would play files but I could not copy or move files to it ... or from it.

Came to the conclusion that the move/copy facility was put there just so Humax could say the box has it ... it is not a serious function ... trying to use it is just a waste of time.

I have two Seagate 500mb drives that are powered with the usb socket ... they do not work either.

Use USB storage devices formatted by ext3, FAT or NTFS only.
    • Do not disconnect the USB storage device during playback, the files or the
    USB storage device may be damaged.
    • It is recommended to use the USB storage devices requiring external power
    supply.
    • If the USB storage device is connected in standby mode, it will
    automatically be recognized when the product is turned on.
    • HUMAX cannot guarantee compatibility with all USB storage devices and
    assumes no responsibility for any loss of da

| Sun 13 May 2018 10:28:12 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

I have a Humax Foxsat that is 6 years old and it has better software than the new 4000t I have just bought.

The 4000t software looks really good in the first 10 minutes but serious flaws are soon discovered.

| Sun 13 May 2018 10:30:54 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

You plug in your usb drive ... select the file ... + MOVE ... triangle goes round and round and round and round ... nothing happens.

If something is supposed to work then it should just work ... you should not have to check half a dozen settings first. Even if it worked you cannot copy files within a drive and copying to a usb it only goes to the root directory.

Copying files was the first thing ever done on home computers 40 years ago ... it should be streamlined, perfect and easy to use. This is diabolical.

I bought the box to watch TV programs not f**t about trying to get files to copy. The only reason I want to copy the files is because the recordings program list gets confusing if TV episodes are outside of their folder because of transmission miscoding, which happens sometimes.

Needs work

| Sun 13 May 2018 18:14:59 #6 |
  7. Trev

Trev

special member

Then watch TV programmes and don't fart around trying to copy them for the things that only 'happen sometimes'.

| Mon 14 May 2018 18:24:19 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

thegenegenie

It does work with non powered usb's, as I said it's the destination of the file that seems to be a bit random, it also doesn't help that other than the dreaded spinning thingy,there's no indication whatsoever that anything is happening, you'd think that there would be a percentage/time remaining type display. My old Echostar is far more user friendly in this regard, as well as copying files about four times faster.

| Mon 14 May 2018 18:33:51 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

I have copied 1 hour files in a few minutes, as it should be, but also same length files have taken 40 minutes, or even not copied at all.

Also if you change the name of the drive so you know which one it is the box goes into tailspin and might even destroy the formatting.

After spending hours on this I can only advise that if it does not work straight away then don't spend any time on it. It is a Humax problem ... not yours.

| Thu 31 May 2018 13:11:43 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

thegenegenie - 2 weeks ago  » 
    It does work with non powered usb's, as I said it's the destination of the file that seems to be a bit random, it also doesn't help that other than the dreaded spinning thingy,there's no indication whatsoever that anything is happening, you'd think that there would be a percentage/time remaining type display. My old Echostar is far more user friendly in this regard, as well as copying files about four times faster.

Your Echostar will likely be faster because the files aren't encrypted.

Transfers are slow because the box has to decrypt the content and at the same time support the core pvr functions.

You may be able to speed things up a bit by tuning to a off air TV channel or a radio channel. You could also try removing the aerial.

The last trick improved copy to usb speeds on a Topfield pvr by approx 40% if I remember correctly.

| Thu 31 May 2018 13:31:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.