My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Current BBC Recording Debacle

(58 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Posting here because the problem is affecting both Freesat and Freeview Kit. It's causing issues in different ways both in the way that BBC1-HD is codeing the series CRID's and total failure of the Accurate recording start and stop recording signals

Freesat Platform (G2 - HDR-1000S)

BBC1-HD England and BBC1-HD Scotland have identical Series and Programme CRID Codes. I have seen this in the past causing issues with the odd recording. G2 Humax boxes at least generate two recordings when set from either BBC1-HD England or BBC1-HD Scotland.

From reading Luke's posts I think that this should not cause issues, but clearly does on Humax G2 boxes Luke if you read this please confirm this is correct. In the past when the BBC have used a different series CRID for Scotland from England the dual recordings do not happen.

This is impacting on recording reservations for other broadcasters simply because one programme is tying up both tuners.

Deleting BBC1- Scotland from your epg will resolve this but of course will not help if the AR codes are not at the correct times.

Humax G2 Boxes and likely the FVP 5000/4000T insist on the same tuner being used for consecutive recordings (despite the FVP units being able to record 4 at once from the same MUX). This only works if the first recording is terminated before the second one should start.

FVP Platform. FVP-5000T

Generally this box has proved very reliable in recording everything set. No longer the BBC has totally screwed up virtually all recordings on BBC1-HD especially with consecutive recordings made on BBC1-HD.

I have recorded BBC1-HD Shakespeare and Hathaway with the recording sandwiched between Doctors and Escape to The Country

Every single recording of Shakespeare And Hathaway has lost enough content at the start to make iplayer the only way to view.

This culminated in Last Fridays episode chopping a whole 10 mins off the beginning of the programme.

Interestingly I haven't seen any postings from owners of Youview boxes, a box that totally relies on accurate recordings. Anyone know if these are immune or no owners have reported similar.

In a double whammy the recent prolonged High Pressure conditions has caused channel dropouts for many.

| Sat 2 Mar 2019 11:12:21 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Apparently there are (or have been) issues with AR on youview dating back to December 2018 - see

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7604919/issue-clipped-recordings-on-cbeebies-cbbc-bbc4-alba-sd-hd

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 11:06:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

A not ideal workaround for the 5000T (don't know about others) might be to abandon accurate recording for now by setting padding to 3 mins at start and finish and setting consecutive recordings to alternate between SD and HD where both are available.

It would, of course, affect recordings on all channels, not just BBC, and may not be able to cope with unexpected schedule changes too well.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 11:15:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

TimK2011

It's a mess. I have recordings on my Freesat box which were scheduled for BBC One HD (England) which are now going to be recorded from all three other regions, i.e. NI, Scotland and Wales! The BBC scheduling and AR used to be spot on and now it's just a complete shambles.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 11:37:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

Yes I'm having troubles too- it's all very annoying.
    My first three episodes of Shakespeare and Hathaway missed the start but Thursday and Friday's look as if they have got it from the beginning (BBC1HD). Eastenders (BBC1) (Friday) and The Real Marigold Hotel (BBC1) (Thursday) both didn't start recording until 5 minutes after the start time. Casualty (BBC1) although on series link didn't have the symbol to say either last nights or next weeks were recording so I deleted the series link and then set it again, and both got the symbol straight away.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 11:41:42 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

TimK2011 - 3 hours ago  » 
    It's a mess. I have recordings on my Freesat box which were scheduled for BBC One HD (England) which are now going to be recorded from all three other regions, i.e. NI, Scotland and Wales! The BBC scheduling and AR used to be spot on and now it's just a complete shambles.

A Humax Freesat box would generate a clash message immediately as the number of recordings is set to a max of 2 though though you can set a watch reservation for 3rd channels you can view while recording two.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 15:28:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » 
    Posting here because the problem is affecting both Freesat and Freeview Kit. It's causing issues in different ways both in the way that BBC1-HD is codeing the series CRID's and total failure of the Accurate recording start and stop recording signals
    Freesat Platform (G2 - HDR-1000S)
    BBC1-HD England and BBC1-HD Scotland have identical Series and Programme CRID Codes. I have seen this in the past causing issues with the odd recording. G2 Humax boxes at least generate two recordings when set from either BBC1-HD England or BBC1-HD Scotland.
    From reading Luke's posts I think that this should not cause issues, but clearly does on Humax G2 boxes Luke if you read this please confirm this is correct. In the past when the BBC have used a different series CRID for Scotland from England the dual recordings do not happen.
    This is impacting on recording reservations for other broadcasters simply because one programme is tying up both tuners.
    Deleting BBC1- Scotland from your epg will resolve this but of course will not help if the AR codes are not at the correct times.
    Humax G2 Boxes and likely the FVP 5000/4000T insist on the same tuner being used for consecutive recordings (despite the FVP units being able to record 4 at once from the same MUX). This only works if the first recording is terminated before the second one should start.
    FVP Platform. FVP-5000T
    Generally this box has proved very reliable in recording everything set. No longer the BBC has totally screwed up virtually all recordings on BBC1-HD especially with consecutive recordings made on BBC1-HD.
    I have recorded BBC1-HD Shakespeare and Hathaway with the recording sandwiched between Doctors and Escape to The Country
    Every single recording of Shakespeare And Hathaway has lost enough content at the start to make iplayer the only way to view.
    This culminated in Last Fridays episode chopping a whole 10 mins off the beginning of the programme.
    Interestingly I haven't seen any postings from owners of Youview boxes, a box that totally relies on accurate recordings. Anyone know if these are immune or no owners have reported similar.
    In a double whammy the recent prolonged High Pressure conditions has caused channel dropouts for many.

You haven't been looking closely enough then Graham. I posted a couple of days ago that Wednesday's Daily Politics Live BBC 2 (Youview Box) started to record at 11:15 am and stopped recording 2 minutes later.

This is set for a continuous series link and usually works without issue. However, over the last few weeks the start has been regularly chopped off.

Mind you it's not just the BBC. Endeavour ITV has barely reached the final credits when it's stopped recording both last week and the week before - Freesat G2 HDR 1000s.

At least with Daily Politics Live I was able to select the 'green button' as the programme hadn't finished in order to continue watching.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 15:31:34 #7 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Do not let the occasional blip that happens on other channels for some unrelated reason confuse the issue that there is currently a systemic major problem with the BBC channels.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 16:06:42 #8 |
  9. prking

prking

gomezz - 7 hours ago  » 
    Do not let the occasional blip that happens on other channels for some unrelated reason confuse the issue that there is currently a systemic major problem with the BBC channels.

Agreed, the BBC say they are aware of the issue.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 23:39:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

For me, the situation has been much better for the last few days with no missed recordings or late starts. The only minor problem I am seeing is that they have split the weather forecast after the 1pm o'clock, 6pm o'clock and 10pm o'clock national news into a separate recording with a shared series ID so I end up with weather forecasts that I don't want.

| Mon 4 Mar 2019 13:08:41 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.