My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

DLNA/UPNP issues

(26 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

I've turned DLNA on on the Aura and can discover it on other devices using apps like VLC and Kodi but I've noticed some recordings report as being 00:01 long. I can play the whole program wch is recorded fully (about 30 min) but any attempt to FFD breaks playback.

Other recordings report the correct length and work as expected. I can reproduce the same issue on the same recordings on VLC and Kodi which suggests it's a server issue on the Aura.

Are issues with DLNA part of the known issues with the firmware? Is there way to directly see the contents of the Aura's disk so I can avoid using DLNA i.e. make the disk visible on my network?

| Fri 4 Nov 2022 14:55:24 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

kr002

special member

Have you converted the files?

| Fri 4 Nov 2022 18:35:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ched999uk

Did you ever resolve this issue?
    I'm trying to view the recordings via Kodi on a Amazon stick and only way I found to get it to connect to the Aura is by using the FTP settings for the Aura in Kodi to add a video source. It only seems to work with converted files which I understood would be the case for HD recordings but even SD recordings seem to need to be converted.
    Is there an easier method to view SD content that's on the Aura on a Kodi device?
    Cheers

| Fri 20 Jan 2023 17:19:32 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

He @ched999uk I didn't resolve it but I did do further investigation using various devices. On all software I tried (VLC, Kodi, RokuPlay app, others) the Aura would show up but it was never possible to move the play-head, basically you watch a show in one go or nothing.

My conclusion from asking people on VLC forums is that this is a server issue and the DLNA provision on the Aura is quite limited - not all DLNA servers provide all functionality.

I think you're saying you cannot see the Aura at all on the Fire stick though? Initially I thought this was due to VLC app version on Fire being old, but since the same issue happened on the stick on other apps I think I found some issue that older Fire Stick is missing something on the hardware side - do you know what specific device version you have?

On my Roku stick, I can see the Aura fine but still limited use. For streaming live TV around the house it actually works great though. I was going to upgrade my Fire Stick but then bought a Google ChromeCast in the sale - I haven't tested it on the Aura yet because if the DLNA server is cruddy, it's less useful, but I still mean to.

I actually couldn't get FTP to work on my Fire Stick either but I didn't try too hard. One thought I did have was to set up a DLNA server on my PC and copy files to that over FTP from the Aura. If you've copied the files onto the device already, you might see if VLC can play them when Kodi can't?

| Fri 20 Jan 2023 17:30:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ched999uk

Misterhumax - 4 hours ago  » 
    He @ched999uk I didn't resolve it but I did do further investigation using various devices. On all software I tried (VLC, Kodi, RokuPlay app, others) the Aura would show up but it was never possible to move the play-head, basically you watch a show in one go or nothing.
    My conclusion from asking people on VLC forums is that this is a server issue and the DLNA provision on the Aura is quite limited - not all DLNA servers provide all functionality.
    I think you're saying you cannot see the Aura at all on the Fire stick though? Initially I thought this was due to VLC app version on Fire being old, but since the same issue happened on the stick on other apps I think I found some issue that older Fire Stick is missing something on the hardware side - do you know what specific device version you have?
    On my Roku stick, I can see the Aura fine but still limited use. For streaming live TV around the house it actually works great though. I was going to upgrade my Fire Stick but then bought a Google ChromeCast in the sale - I haven't tested it on the Aura yet because if the DLNA server is cruddy, it's less useful, but I still mean to.
    I actually couldn't get FTP to work on my Fire Stick either but I didn't try too hard. One thought I did have was to set up a DLNA server on my PC and copy files to that over FTP from the Aura. If you've copied the files onto the device already, you might see if VLC can play them when Kodi can't?

Cheers for taking the time to reply. I had completely forgotten about VLC on the Amazon Stick. I did get Kodi to connect to the Aura using the FTP settings, (IP address, user: aura and password: 0000) to create a new video source. It then displays the recordings list no problem. It wouldn't play any files SD or HD unless they are converted. The converted file did play although the colours were a bit iffy although that could have been a setup issue as it's bedroom tv.
    As for moving the timeline we did initially have problems with that on mobile phone and tablet but once in full screen it seemed to work OK.
    The fire stick I was using was an old old one, but I will give it a go on a newer one (think it's a 2019 lite stick) that I have on a different tv.

Still trying to find a way to split the aura hdmi output so it can be connected to a TV and projector (via av amp) but that's another issue....
    Cheers, I will report back what I can get to work.

| Fri 20 Jan 2023 21:41:28 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

Please do, I will likewise.

| Fri 20 Jan 2023 23:23:11 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

ched999uk

I had a quick play with a newer Amazon lite stick and VLC. As you say it works fine unless you want to skip forwards - although the 4 x playback speed works I couldn't skip forwards either. Interestingly it would play anything I had recorded HD or SD without conversions!
    I will give Kodi on the stick another go to see if I can skip forward or not. But that didn't play HD content without converting.

I am quite surprised that there are not more threads about streaming from the Aura and that sort of stuff as it does seem to be the bit of kit most likely to be able to do this sort of stuff. Maybe it's just very few people use Freeview stuff anymore - judging by the number of boxes for sale there isn't much demand.

I will keep trying...

| Sat 21 Jan 2023 14:19:47 #7 |
  8. Mars

Mars

special member

ched999uk - 29 mins ago  » 
    Interestingly it would play anything I had recorded HD or SD without conversions!

VLC will play SD and HD recordings, but I think that HD recordings are being transcoded (see the transcoding settings on the Aura) to something like 960x540.

| Sat 21 Jan 2023 14:52:50 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

ched999uk

Mars - 2 hours ago  » 

ched999uk - 29 mins ago  » 
    Interestingly it would play anything I had recorded HD or SD without conversions!

VLC will play SD and HD recordings, but I think that HD recordings are being transcoded (see the transcoding settings on the Aura) to something like 960x540.

I think you are right. Mine is set to transcode to 960x480, 5Mbps, 50hz. I guess VLC somehow communicated with the Aura and initiates transcoding but Kodi doesn't. I will have more of a play with Kodi later.

| Sat 21 Jan 2023 17:13:09 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I watch SD recordings from my Aura on our Bedroom TV using Kodi on a Firestick and it works a treat. I am able to jump through the ads as well without issue. It will also resume if you stop partway through.

It will play HD recordings too, but if I try and jump it will stop playback and will lose its position.

| Sat 21 Jan 2023 18:27:33 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.